Thread: Seattle Times and gun safety

Seattle Times and gun safety

Not so surprising reactions to firearms safety, in Seattle Times or Puyallup

…Westneat shouldn’t get kicked around for something this writer suggested. He was merely quoting accurately what he was told, as this column noted. If he’s trying to take some blame for the idea, he’s crazy. If he’s trying to take credit, that proves he’s crazy.

http://www.examiner.com/article/not-...es-or-puyallup

Seattle Times and Gun Safety

hmmm, I don't know if I agree with having gun classes in school.
    There has been enough problems with idiots bringing guns to school.

If you start having gun classes people will want Skydiving classes next.

Maybe just have a class every year which points students to respectable gun classes outside of school and also lets them know where ranges are. Simply let them know that guns are not appropriate in schools and they should take safety classes outside of school.

Point them in the right direction for proper safety and handling of guns.

It's a close call, but I think we can take that risk.

Good to hear from you, cluznar.

Quote Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
    hmmm, I don't know if I agree with having gun classes in school.
    There has been enough problems with idiots bringing guns to school.

If guns in school is not appropriate then where would they be appropriate? Why would guns be inappropriate in schools but not other places where large numbers of children congregate?

Does this mean we should not have guns at libraries also? Toy stores? Fast food restaurants? Churches and other places of worship and instruction? What about Boy Scout camps? It's kind of difficult for Boy Scouts to get their marksmanship badge without access to a firearm.

IMHO there is no better place to teach children about the proper handling of a firearm than in the formal instruction environment of a school. What other reason do we send children to school but to give them the knowledge needed to survive in a world full of dangerous things? Does that not include firearms just as much as how to properly cross the street? I would thing so.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

I don't see why they couldn't fit a 4 hour block into the already required "Health" class in middle and high school. You've got to learn about STDs and the current state recommended diet (used to be a food triangle or pyramid, now I'm not sure what it is). The kids might as well learn about guns, too.

Nothing too complicated, just basics of action types, and safety. Classic Eddie Eagle without the eeeevil NRA trademarks.

One of the advantages of being home-schooled. My nutrition lessons involved protein contents of hog feed, sex education was AI of cattle and firearms safety was range time and 'weapons familiarization. As well as the strong mention that the most effective safety device is the few cubic inches inside your skull.

Of all the lessons, I feel the last to have been the most useful.

Skydiving would be fine as a pay-your-own-way extracurricular sport.
    “It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.”
    — Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by cambeul41 View Post
    Skydiving would be fine as a pay-your-own-way extracurricular sport.
    Well it would untill all of the big schools with money in their districts started ilegally recruiting skydivers from other smaller school districts. The skydivers from the smaller districts would want to go also in order to get more exposure to college skydiving scouts. Then it wouldnt be fair and balanced.
    Brandon

Take a kid shooting. They are the future.