Thread: NEW! Armed Citizens Alliance

NEW! Armed Citizens Alliance

New national alliance for armed citizens announced: ACA

A new alliance of industry and armed citizens has been announced with the goal of providing ordinary gun owners the opportunity to “practice, train and become familiar with the use of concealed carry handguns and other personal defense firearms.”

http://www.examiner.com/article/new-...-announced-aca

Interesting, indeed.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

???

Maybe I missed it, but I'm not real clear on what they're going to actually do? Build ranges?

Otherwise, it almost seems like it's a redundant effort. Training is available even for neophytes.

Sounds like it's not much more than a PR effort. Which is good, don't get me wrong, but what concrete things are they planning?

Mebbe I should wait until the site launch?

Mebbe I should have another cuppa coffee?

Terry, 230RN

I have to wonder what they will think of my

full-size carry options. The smallest thing I

carry is a 1911A1...

Thank you for the notice Dave. I am interested in their program.
    Vietnam Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF Life member

Sounds interesting, they are looking to fill the gap between high dollar competition and those that dont want to compete. But still want to hit the ranges. I know I know, just go to the range. This appears to nudge them a little more twords the range.

Sounds interesting, they are looking to fill the gap between high dollar competition and those that dont want to compete. But still want to hit the ranges.
    Well, that's what nudged me out of formal competition, really, so I'll give you that. Competing with Buck Rogers equipment all the time kind of discouraged me.

I believe that in many European countries, competition and hunting are the only "excuses" for owning firearms, so I'll also go with the nudging concept you mentioned. (Which brings up the "sporting use" limitation on imports in this country, but that's another gripe.)

I also believe I will withdaw my question and hope that the organization explores practical concrete action plans to encourage gun use as well. I guess I'll wait until the site is open, though.

I would consider a competition that was restricted to stock over-the-counter common carry guns (not from mfr's custom shops nor from custom builders), with modifications limited to a trigger job (not a replacement trigger system/assembly/group) and hi-viz sights (not to include opticals/scopes).

I could see at least two gun classes: Revolvers and Semi-Auto Pistols.
    Two more for sights: Iron Sights and Laser Sights.
    Competition scored on speed, accuracy and distance.

Such a competition would certainly get me out shooting my carry revolver a lot more often.

Zip
    "Few of the great tragedies of history were created by the village idiot, and many by the village genius." Thomas Sowell
    "Sometimes absurdity is worth it for its own sake." Andrew Breitbart
    "Reality is not optional." Thomas Sowell

Wouldn't it be fair to say that something that got people out to the range to practice their shooting skills, their "situational awareness" skills, is GOOD?
    Life Member of both NRA and North American Hunting Club (huntingclub.com)
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

Quote Originally Posted by 230RN View Post
    Well, that's what nudged me out of formal competition, really, so I'll give you that. Competing with Buck Rogers equipment all the time kind of discouraged me.
    Ditto. None of the raceguns have any connection with why I shoot,and it's not to win prizes.

I would consider a competition that was restricted to stock over-the-counter common carry guns (not from mfr's custom shops nor from custom builders), with modifications limited to a trigger job (not a replacement trigger system/assembly/group) and hi-viz sights (not to include opticals/scopes).
    Well, that's what got me into handgun Metallic Sihouette shooting: a "factory" class. I thought I'd be competing against other good shots with my field-carry M19, out of the box with no modifications. So when I got to the firing line I see the guy next to me with a gun you couldn't fit into any holster made, with extended sights, which you'd never be able to carry afield, and he had to put it on like a glove. But it was "factory" made, so it was legal as a factory gun. I checked at the range shack when my stage was done, and they confirmed that it was, and I was indeed competing against him.

I should'a brought a rifle, I guess, 'cause essentially, that was what he was shooting, with that long sight radius and the Hammerli glove-like stock.

But that's wandering away from the topic a bit.

Yes, JTHunter, this would be good:

Wouldn't it be fair to say that something that got people out to the range to practice their shooting skills, their "situational awareness" skills, is GOOD?
    But how? That's why I withdrew my question and am waiting for the site opening. To see how.

Terry, 230RN

That's an impressive list of names heading the organization.
    Squished bugs on a windshield are proof the slow/heavy bullet theory works. -Me
    Herman Cain '12
    Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Workman View Post
    New national alliance for armed citizens announced: ACA

A new alliance of industry and armed citizens has been announced with the goal of providing ordinary gun owners the opportunity to “practice, train and become familiar with the use of concealed carry handguns and other personal defense firearms.”

http://www.examiner.com/article/new-...-announced-aca

Such a thing is all well and good and I support it wholeheartedly. But to me... The true training is the city people that drive a few miles out in the boonies and find some agreeable landowner that lets them get together and set up targets. People that get together to argue the relative merits of this handgun, that rifle or the shotgun of the moment and send a ball downrange toward a suspended golf ball in attempt to prove their point.

A few weeks ago, my brother had some men from town bring their sons and one lonely little girl out to the farm so they could practice with their air rifles with paper plates at ten yards.

Dave Workman, you have far more experience than I on this subject and I will bow to your expertise. But I'll ask you simply. Is there a greater motivation to become 'familiar and competent' with a range of weaponry than six words of a small child's father- "Good shot! I'm proud of you!" (?)
    Last edited by Selena; May 15th, 2012 at 07:13 AM.

Selena the answer for me is absolutely not, there are no more true words spoken... however in my case its granddaughters.... 4 of them, and we are bringing 2 more into the fold (belonging to my oldest son's girlfriend) ranging from 5-14. They all shoot occasionally and the 10 and 12 yr olds think there is no greater joy than going to the range with grandpa.