Thread: A Los Angeles Cop Opines:On Zimmerman,and the Neighborhood Watch Philosophy in the US

A Los Angeles Cop Opines:On Zimmerman,and the Neighborhood Watch Philosophy in the US

A lot of opinions here from this L.A. LEO. If all of his tale is true, he has certainly been through the meat grinder personally, and with his Department, politically. Being employed with cops for 2 decades,I certainly can believe the political price he says he paid.

A controversial blog that will be interpreted in different ways, depending on the 'eye of the beholder'. That is life.

http://www.policemag.com/Blog/Patrol...Zimmerman.aspx

I hail from Texas, but I have lived in a variety of Los Angeles neighborhoods for the past 35 years. Some were nice and some were crime filled and absolutely dangerous. And I have watched as some of the neighborhoods in L.A. have changed from nice to dangerous in the span of a generation. One of them was mine.

First a large apartment complex in our neighborhood went Section 8. Then came the drugs, and the graffiti, and the crime.

My neighbors were now calling the police with every sighting of criminal activity. The cops in our previously quiet neighborhood were unprepared to cope with the new crime trends. Many of our neighbors sold their houses after being victimized. They were frightened and moved to a "nice" neighborhood.

The law enforcement agency in our neighborhood became apathetic. They were slow to respond and ineffective upon arrival. They were commonly far more put out by the caller than the crime.

My neighbors became frightened and stopped calling the police with their observations. I continued calling the police while witnessing several felonies in progress. I always identified myself as a fellow officer. The police never apprehended the criminals I identified. Before long, the police began treating me with the same patronizing behavior my neighbors told me about regarding their experiences. I knew the police in my area could do a better job.

Crime flourished and I grew frustrated. I started calling the police and then following the criminals. I interrupted many felonies in progress.
    "A man's got to know his limitations"

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

I wonder if he gets told he just resents authority or he doesn't know what it's like out there when he complains of lack of service?

Excellent blog by Robert, a wise, passionate and very good man.
    Vietnam Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF Life member

Yeah, we're just supposed to sit around and watch helplessly while our communities go to hell
    Governments don't live together. People live together.

This opinion from the comment section is quite interesting, considering the source:

As a 25-year trial prosecutor (now retired), I was disappointed in the decision by the Florida special prosecutor (Angela Corey) to prosecute Zimmerman for any crime, let alone murder. I know no more about the facts than does the author of the article, but I know enough to know that there has been, here, a "rush to judgement". From the perspective of a real, working, homicide prosecutor, this is simply political aggrandizement by the Florida special prosecutor.

Anthony Manzella
    Deputy District Attorney
    Los Angeles County (Retired)

Before long, the police began treating me with the same patronizing behavior my neighbors told me about regarding their experiences.
    Gee, sucks to be a "civilian," doesn't it?
    "No one heals himself by wounding another." Saint Ambrose of Milan

"...a contrite and humbled heart, O God, thou wilt not despise." Ps li:19

"Robert", "In Defense of George Zimmerman", Police Magazine, Blog, Patrol Tacrics, 3 May 2012.
    The U.S. media will exploit any use of a gun because they are philosophically against anyone who is armed. This includes the military and the police. It should not surprise anyone that the media hates armed citizens.
    Confirmation of my observations of the media since 1959. The media bias against guns has been so blatant, someone more qualified than I oughta write a book about it.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

A book has been written by a qualified writer on that very topic:

"The Bias Against Guns: Why Almost Everything You'Ve Heard About Gun Control Is Wrong" by John R. Lott Jr.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Bias-Again...6233947&sr=8-1

"...Lott shows: How Diane Sawyer, Dan Rather, Charlie Gibson, and other TV talking heads promote gun control in the guise of 'news';..."

"...Lott shows: How Diane Sawyer, Dan Rather, Charlie Gibson, and other TV talking heads promote gun control in the guise of 'news';...
    Right on,Rod and Carl. And through all my years of watching TV News since 1957, Diane Sawyer is the worst anti-gunner by a long country mile.
    Bob Schieffer takes the Silver and Tom Brokaw gets the Bronze.

From the perspective of a real, working, homicide prosecutor, this is simply political aggrandizement by the Florida special prosecutor.

Anthony Manzella
    Deputy District Attorney
    Los Angeles County (Retired)
    Big suprise coming from L.A.

I hail from Texas, but I have lived in a variety of Los Angeles neighborhoods for the past 35 years.
    I bet he likes it there better than C.A.
    Brandon

Take a kid shooting. They are the future.