Thread: Where to buy 26.5mm flare gun?

Where to buy 26.5mm flare gun?

I recently stumbled across this little thing that allows you to shoot .410/.45 colt in a 26.5mm flare gun.
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZWA622-1.html

I don't know why but I want one. It seems those HK copy flare guns were all over the place being sold as surplus a few years ago, but today I can't find a single one for sale. Everybody is out of stock. Does anybody know where I might be able to find one? I even checked out gunbroker but couldn't find any. Where'd they all go?

ZWA-622_A.jpg
    "Yeah that's a real gun in that gun rack.
    No I don't have a permit for it.
    You got a permit to ask stupid questions like that?"

I carried a flare gun on my boat, so you might check marine sites.
    But mine was 12 ga, and plastic. No way I'd fire a real shotgun shell in that thing.

Yeah, that's why I'm looking for one of the military surplus metal flare guns. Checkout this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_GmTDm9M9Q

I finally found one on gunbroker, $70. This is really cool, I can basically buy a short barrel shotgun over the internet with no paper work and only a few bucks.

They also sell a .22LR insert for the flare gun so you can shoot almost any caliber you want!

Administrator    
    I recall them being for sale (German and Polish) on ammunitiontogo. Very neat, looks like they're built to last.

The marine-recreation plastic ones would be a once/twice-proposition, IMO. There's after-market ammunition for it (capsicum, various flares, 'dragon's breath'?). It's like a 1" or 1 1/2" shell. Regular 12 gauge? (even 2 3/4" 8-shot?) ....

You are not prohibited from purchasing/possessing 'either/and/or', but be advised to check ATF regulations on 'assembly' of a firearm. IIRC, CTD will send you a disclaimer and ATF forms with the conversion barrel.

(The foregoing not to be taken as legal advice, check both federal law and laws in your particular State of residence.)

Yeah, to the best of my knowledge it is totally legal for me here in Oregon. I've seen the ATF letter on the MFGs website. The only thing that saves it is the rifling in the barrel, otherwise it would be a destructive device. Silly laws..........

I definately want to try some "exotic" 12ga ammo in it, I'll be getting a 12ga adapter for it too. I don't think I want to try any 12ga shot though.

I might even fire a flare sometime!

I know of a boat club near Toledo that used to arrange with the Coast Guard for a club "training session", where the members could use their flare pistols to use up all their out of date flares. I hear it was quite a little party.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

The marine-recreation plastic ones would be a once/twice-proposition, IMO.
    ATF has before and after photos of a orange plastic Olin flare gun fired with a metal cartridge adapter. The plastic frame shattered first shot. You would be lucky to escape without injury. Save 12ga cartridge adaptors for use in 12ga shotguns.

First clue should be when you fire a 12ga meteor flare from a cylinder bore 12ga: there is no noticeable recoil. Flares are very low pressure cartridges.

(The 26.5mm flare guns are something else, and the .410/.45 colt adapter appears properly engineered. HOWEVER, the only thing that should fired in a 26.5mm to 12ga adapter is the 12ga flares.)
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

Alright, I finally got my flare gun and insert, but they don't fit! The flare gun is very solidly built, nothing like those cheap orange plastic things. The .410 adapter is made from solid aluminum.

The problem is this little latch on the end of the barrel won't let the adapter fit. Does anybody know what the purpose of the latch is? It doesn't hold the barrel down, and is a bit loose when the gun is cocked to fire.

I'm wondering if I can cut the latch off or I need to make a notch in my adapter? Does the little peice of metal help to remove flares or something?
    flare1 copy.jpgflare2 copy.jpg

Are you at all familiar with the M79 grenade launcher? There is very similar device there as well. that device allows the device to fire. Without it, no bang.
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by swgunner View Post
    Are you at all familiar with the M79 grenade launcher? There is very similar device there as well. that device allows the device to fire. Without it, no bang.
    Not at all. How would that allow it to fire? Best I can tell it's just "floating" under the barrel, not rigidly attached to anything. I just can't figure out what purpose it serves....

Administrator    
    I think the latch releases the opening of the action to load/unload. The adapter doesn't look like it's going to fit, without some additional machining, and I wouldn't take the latch off. Although the flare gun (Polish) looks built heavy, we're talking about a powder charge to launch something light and flammable a few hundred yards maybe, and at a really slow pace .... not .410 gauge .... I mean, .410's not fast, but ....

The marine pistols are built with cheaper plastic than you'll find on toy guns, and they fire a 1 1/2" shell (and I don't know the potency of that 1 1/2" shell, compared to a comparable shotgun round). I had one, crushed to tiny pieces in the bottom of a gear bag, very chintz. It was of no use during the boating accident years ago, when I lost all my guns ....

I'd like to know what kind of energy the powder in flares yield, as opposed to powder in handgun/shotgun rounds.

And if anyone can alleviate concerns I have about whether or not this amounts to 'manufacture' of a firearm (prohibited, without some 'limited license' obtained through application to the BATFE), please add to this thread.

I couldn't say much further, though the idea of a flare conversion-barrel is interesting.

And get a Leinad.

Well, I got it in! I guess it just takes a little more force that I was using. Nifty little gun!

Quote Originally Posted by thesecond View Post
    And if anyone can alleviate concerns I have about whether or not this amounts to 'manufacture' of a firearm (prohibited, without some 'limited license' obtained through application to the BATFE), please add to this thread.
    It is considered "manufacturing" a firearm when inserting the subcaliber insert, but as far as I know that is legal if you are legal to own said gun. It is not legal to ever sell it with the insert installed. The adapter has rifling, so it's just a pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by thesecond View Post
    And get a Leinad.
    LOL, I've tried, those suckers can be hard to find except on gunbroker for ridiculous prices.

Smooth sailing, Sara, and welcome to the board from a former sailor moved inland.....
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

Quote Originally Posted by sara View Post
    My husband and I have a sailboat in the Western Caribbean and while we were gone, thieves got away with our good old metal 12 ga. flare gun and some "other" defensive weapons.

We now have nothing. And with the increasing rise of piracy in the region (due to the rampant transport of drugs and general decay of the rule of law) having your H&K would seem to solve multiple safety problems.

I live in Indiana, Have my concealed carry permit and am in need of your flare gun. I will send you an email, Mr. Quagmire.

Sara

Perhaps you should consider Lake Michigan? Good luck in your adventures. I've often dreamed of chasing whales with a one master in the North Atlantic but too many responsibilities here.

what purpose?

That little thing hanging beneath the barrel that wiggles around is the extractor for the fired 26.5 mm flares. The stud beneath it is the barrel latch locking lug.
    Do NOT alter either of these. The adapter should neither 'snap', or slide, over the extractor.
    It should load just like a normal flare does: With the barrel pointed down, slide it in until it rests against the extractor. Slowly close the barrel, and the adapter should just slide down with the extractor until seated, and the barrel will latch closed.
    This is pretty much standard for any flare/smoke/gas launcher made.
    I have been shooting them for the better part of 38 years, and there are some interesting variations out there. Both the H&K and the Polish licensed copy will work fine with the .22 adapter, and it is strong enough to stand up to limited use with the .45 Colt/.410 adapter, but if you want to seriously shoot it that way, I would suggest you look for one of the all steel German or British made launchers, like the WWI~WWII HEBEL-type launchers: you can usually pick them up for $225~275. Do not try it with the Sedgley Mark 5 due to possibility of damage to a nice, scarce, collectors piece. Do not even consider anything other than flares/smoke with the plastic 12 gauge launchers, unless you are prepared to loose body parts!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlock View Post
    Not at all. How would that allow it to fire? Best I can tell it's just "floating" under the barrel, not rigidly attached to anything. I just can't figure out what purpose it serves....

www.militaryshooters.com they got um, best deal.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlock View Post
    I recently stumbled across this little thing that allows you to shoot .410/.45 colt in a 26.5mm flare gun.
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZWA622-1.html

I don't know why but I want one. It seems those HK copy flare guns were all over the place being sold as surplus a few years ago, but today I can't find a single one for sale. Everybody is out of stock. Does anybody know where I might be able to find one? I even checked out gunbroker but couldn't find any. Where'd they all go?

ZWA-622_A.jpg
    best deal