Thread: Got an LAR Grizzly Win Mag!

Got an LAR Grizzly Win Mag!

Here's something you don't see every day!

I was at my local shop yesterday and the clerk was in the process of putting this gun into the display case when I walked by. The clerk said that a guy had dropped by earlier that day and put this gun on consignment. I knew that what it was but I had never seen one in person before, only just pictures. What shocked me even more than seeing one finally was when I saw the price, $550! It didn't take me more than a few seconds to decide for that price I couldn't leave the shop without it.

It's the Mark 1 chambered in 45 Win Mag and 6.5 inch barrel, it's in immaculate condition and came with a few rounds of ammo and one mag. I just ordered some ammo online and I'm hoping to get it out to the range next week sometime.

“Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” Jon Stewart from Oprah interview, Sept 2010.

Well at least if you go visit kodiakbeer, he can save his cannon defense for other uses, and you can use your new cannon for bear defense, that is why it's called the Grizzly, right or is it because of the grizzley recoil?

All very tongue-in-cheek of course. Great find. What is the ammo situation like? I would assume there would be a wide variety available, but I am not really familiar with this particular flavor of 45.
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

Very, very cool.

Kinda fits in the "Big Ammo/Big Grip" group of pistols with the Coonan, Desert Eagle, some of the larger Automag pistols like the 9mm Win Mag and .30 Carbine!

Let us know about the range session.

45 Win Mag
    I foresee purchases of reloading equipment in your future.
    "Whom have I in heaven but you
    And beside you I desire nothing on earth." --PS 73

I foresee purchases of reloading equipment in your future.
    Eventually I'll reload for this gun but Underwood Ammo sells it for about .76¢ a round which isn't cheap but it's affordable. It's really not a gun I'm going to shoot heavily anyway. It's not going to be a safe queen but it's one of those guns I might take to the range once or twice a month and put a few mags worth of ammo through just for kicks and grins.
    “Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” Jon Stewart from Oprah interview, Sept 2010.

I might take to the range once or twice a month and put a few mags worth of ammo through just for kicks and grins.
    Be sure to share the joy with others.

Administrator   
    $550 is an insane deal. I also have a LAR Grizzly Win Mag, good gun, expensive to fix when it breaks because parts are pretty rare. A few years ago Starline as the only one making 45 Win Mag brass.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Whoops, double post
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

That's incredible, great find! Cheapest I found with a quick trip to GunBroker was TWICE that price!
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

LAR 45 Win Mag Ammo

I have had a LAR 45 Win Mag for a while and recently got concerned like you when I found out how hard it is to get ammo, since they are now a cult gun. Winchester only offers a couple of choices. The 230 gr ones you show in the pictures, and a JHP 260 gr. I stumbled on Underwood Ammo out of W Va, and got a hold of some 230 gr GD JHP's (item 437). These are really Speer Gold Dot projectiles. Underwood is not a reloader, but an OEM. Pricing was very reasonable, and delivery exellent. They stock these on a regular basis. When I fired them after the Winchester factory loads, it was like going from a 38 special to a 357 magnum. Outstanding accuracy. Ouch-standing recoil to go with it. 1600 FPS/1307 ME - whoa Betty! When I was bench sighting it at an indoor range, the guys next to me packed up and moved because of how much the bench shook when I fired. The Smith 500 4" barrel I have does not kick like this critter, though has more concussion going off.

Lawmens and Shooters Supply in Vero Beach, FL has a case of the Winchester FMJ 230's laying around also. I did not buy them after I shot the Underwood loads. Never drink down. They will make a deal I think, 772.569.8700. They do not do web sales.

I could really use an extra magazine or two if anyone knows where to find them...

Welcome, Hugh. Always nice to know where to find unusual ammo.

Welcome Hugh.

Looks like a nice piece I just don't know if I could get over the way the barrel sticks out
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder