Thread: gun finishes

gun finishes

I am having an airsoft pistol refinished to shoot in practical pistol competitions and for working in force on force training so it will have a lot of holster and reholstering done, I have access to trained cerakote refinishers and duracoaters and also could possibly anodize, what would everyone here suggest?

I cannot blue it because it is a mix of aluminium and pot metal parts, if you have suggestions and/or pictures please post them.

My choice would be Durakote. It's very tough, it will last, and can be applied with a minimum of fuss. Heck, if you can follow printed instructions, you can do it yourself and save some money.
    Hiding in plain sight....

Another vote for duracoat. I have duracoated several SKS's, one I did for a friend, then some of his police buddies paid me to finish theirs. I have also duracoated a WE 1911 (airsoft) and the finish has held up well, there is some holster wear, but it is not anything major, as compared to the original finish peeling off.

First thing is to take a dremel with a wire brush and cup attachment and remove the original base layer. Then while wearing nitrile gloves use the supplied cleaner and degreaser.

It is not neccessary to bake duracoat, but I have found that flat black has a slightly more uniform finish if baked. I used an old toaster oven for the smaller parts of the sks and for the airsoft pistol.
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

SW, ironically it is the same airsoft gun that I am doing that you did, the duracoat is about 80 but the bake on cerakote is 50 so I am leaning towards that. the gun has been prepped and stripped already and the cerakote guy said he would do a followup as part of the cost.

ok a tangent question on a 1911 where does the serial number go and I need to come up with a manufacturers rollmark, both my frame and slide are blank and I want this gun to look realistic, also what other information should be engraved on the gun, I want to make this thing distinctively mine in case it ever gets "lost" or "borrowed." the barrel has the .45acp engraving already.

There is a duracoat all in one kit http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_shakenspray.html $35.00 US.

The slide is engraved on the same side as the magazine release with the manufacturers rollmark. The other side is normally blank. The serial number is engraved just aft of where the slide protrudes on the frame.

Some slides are engraved on both sides, go to google put in 1911 and do an image search, this should provide many ideas.

Also I have ordered a Caspian slide that has no roll mark or other "branding" just snakeskin serrations on the rear and top.

Good luck.
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf