Thread: posts

where is everybody? this forum seems like it is dying

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    Just added a 61 Navy to my collection but haven't been able to shoot it yet. 4 revolvers and a rifle covers 4 calibers and guess which one I don't have the right size balls for. I really need to get a mold and start pouring my own.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grump View Post
    Just added a 61 Navy to my collection but haven't been able to shoot it yet. 4 revolvers and a rifle covers 4 calibers and guess which one I don't have the right size balls for. I really need to get a mold and start pouring my own.
    Just for my own curiosity here, has anybody tried to swage round ball?

Just for my own curiosity here, has anybody tried to swage round ball?
    What do you mean? My brothers Uberti Walker in .44 loves .45 round ball. He has to take a brass brush to clean the cylinder every few loadings, but it shoots on raged hole out 50 feet (the farthest we have taken it) I would like to see how it fares at 50 yards, but we don't have a range that goes that far.
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by swgunner View Post
    What do you mean? My brothers Uberti Walker in .44 loves .45 round ball. He has to take a brass brush to clean the cylinder every few loadings, but it shoots on raged hole out 50 feet (the farthest we have taken it) I would like to see how it fares at 50 yards, but we don't have a range that goes that far.
    Swaging is pressure forming, a cold working casting technique.

Swaging

Speer, Hornady and probably others sell swaged round balls, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it at home. Cast balls work very well and they're easy to make. Technically, you're swaging the ball when you load it in a revolver. That is, if you've chamfered the chamber mouths. Otherwise you're cutting off the excess diameter.

I guess it depends on what qualifies as swaging. I've heard of people casting the balls, then tumbling them to get rid of the sprue. Some who've tried it say it works very well, but that it makes no difference whatsoever in shooting.

One of my revolvers is a swager, in that its chamber mouths are chamfered. It's cleaner to load because you don't get the little lead rings, but I can't see as it helps in any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnivore View Post
    Speer, Hornady and probably others sell swaged round balls, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it at home. Cast balls work very well and they're easy to make. Technically, you're swaging the ball when you load it in a revolver. That is, if you've chamfered the chamber mouths. Otherwise you're cutting off the excess diameter.
    Dad uses a swaging press to make bullets because he is concern about lead fumes from casting. I've just wondered if the dies were available for round ball as all I've ever seen is slug.

Ain't google grand
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

I'm still here, just most people don't find me interesting enough to start threads!

Squirrel season is about to start here in Ohio, time to dust off the flintlock.
    I wish I believed in reincarnation. Where's Charles "The Hammer" Martel when you need him?

www.bagpipeforum.com
    yes, I play the bagpipes. No, I don't wear a skirt. It's called a kilt.

Some of the smartest people I've known were "dumb hillbillies".

And another thing. Swaging work hardens the lead (relative, since lead is very soft) and a lot of purists think it degrades accuracy slightly because of a bit less obturation when the charge pressure hits the ball.
    I wish I believed in reincarnation. Where's Charles "The Hammer" Martel when you need him?

www.bagpipeforum.com
    yes, I play the bagpipes. No, I don't wear a skirt. It's called a kilt.

Some of the smartest people I've known were "dumb hillbillies".

Swaging work hardens the lead...
    Do you have the gun camera film to prove that? The common wisdom over at castboolits is that lead work softens. I don't have a hardness tester so I don't know for sure. Lots of other people do have hardness testers though.

In any case, as stated above, many revolvers swage the balls regardless of how they were made. One of my Remington cylinders has been chamfered, and it seems to make no difference in shooting. Anyway, I doubt you load any ball without deforming it, thereby "swaging" it to some degree.

For further contemplation; every source I've seen, and that's quite a few, says that lead age hardens also. Freshly cast bullets are softer than bullets that were cast (or swaged?) a few weeks ago. Several accounts I've read have stated the differences over time, in the same batch of bullets. It is significant. How much it relates to shooting accuracy, and/or barrel leading, is another subject.

22highpower; I'm here. I just don't have much to report. I had a "broken hand spring" in a Remington revolver recently. I ordered a new hand/spring assembly, and when I took the old one out, I found that the hand itself had broken, or rather cracked, at the spring slit, causing it to let go of the spring. I'll take some photos and post them later. I though that to be an odd failure.

Some other projects will result in more posts when I get them done, hopefully sometime before the sun expands into a red giant and engulfs the Earth ('cause at that point it would definitely have taken me too long).