Thread: Longmire!

Longmire!

Loving this show.... except....

Cocking and de-cocking a 1911 every time he draws it? Seriously?

Gaaa-a-a-a-a-a-a-aaahhhhh-h-h-h-h-h-h-!!!!!!

O.K., I feel better now.

They lost me on the first episode when solving the murder hinged on the "fact" that the .45/70 cartridge was only used in rare old Sharps Buffalo rifles, therefore the killer was somebody who collected antique weapons...

I haven't turned the show on since.

What I remember of the .45-70 episode, Longmire visited a gun shop whose owner seemed to know what everyone in the county was shooting and .45-70 was rare(?). Given the most common caliber at local black powder cartridge matches is .45-70, it was hard for me to accept that in a county in Wyoming .45-70 would be rare. I know the gun magazines (printed and stapled variety) in the 1950s and 1960s were urging folks to drop the .44-40, .30-30 and .45-70 and buy the .270 for western mountain hunting, but still .45-70 rare in Wyoming today?

When it comes to guns in movies or tv I have come to try to ignore some of the details of gun handling.

Cocking and de-cocking a 1911 every time he draws it?
    Also galling is the episode where Longmire fires a shot in the air and you then see him holding the gun over his head uncocked.

I learned this years ago by visiting a gun show table that had fake movie guns for sale, and lurking about Internet Movie Firearms Database (IMFDb httpp://www.imfdb.com ):

Problem with a lot of shows is they have two or more prop guns: a "hero" gun which is a blank-firer which requires an armorer present on the set to prevent accidents. For scenes without shots fired and only a prop handler required present, a "hero" gun for close-ups that is a de-activated real gun, and "background" guns that may be detailed cast resin guns and rubber guns for scenes where guns are dropped or thrown. The background guns can be cast either hammer down or hammer cocked.

The result is when all the cuts are put together to make a scene, an actor may handle a real neutered gun in close-ups, a blank-firer in the gun fight, and a detailed cast dummy or a rough cast rubber gun.

But yeah, a realistic drama should not require "willing suspension of disbelief" like a supernatural fantasy story.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

45-70 probably seems rare to the screenwriter and producer. Of course, so does every other caliber they didn't hear about on Law & Order.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

Oh, some links:
    http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Longmire

The gal deputy reminds me of the Fruity Oaty Bar commercial in the movie Serenity
    http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/File:Katee...ffLongmire.jpg
    ♪ ♫ Fruity Oaty Bars make a man out of a mouse. ♪ ♫ Fruity Oaty Bars make you burst out of your blouse. ♪ ♫
    Makes me wanna forgive the stupid tv gun goofs.

It's just so easy to get it right instead of wrong...

I frequent a writers forum where independent authors trade notes. Recently, there was a very interesting thread about violence in general, where I and a couple of other gun cranks covered much of the same ground. As it dragged on, one woman writer (by way of thanking us) confessed about her stupid mistake in reading that "revolvers" had to be carried with the hammer on an empty cylinder - obviously confused by reading of old west single actions. Then she had compounded that mistake by writing that the protagonist had to reach up and "turn the cylinder" before a gunfight so the hammer would fall on a cartridge.

It galled me that Band of Brothers, a series that cost tens of millions of dollars to produce, showed the Waffen SS wearing regular Wehrmacht uniforms instead of the camo pattern they had adopted in 1942. Not many would catch that, but if you're going to manufacture the uniforms for a movie or TV show anyway, why not produce the correct uniform? It doesn't take more than five minutes on Google to learn such a fact.

Another pet peeve is movie fist fights. Most of us, probably, have see a real fight or even participated in one. In real fights, people don't just get up and brush away a few drops of blood. Somebody ends up going to the ER with broken bones or a ruptured spleen. Even the winner generally walks away with a broken bone of two in his hand.

How about when a guy takes a pistol slug to his chest and drops dead as if struck by lightning?

It doesn't take much to get it right and some films and books do get it right. It bugs me that most of them can't get it right.

>>>Rant off<<<

Oh, about Longmire... It may be that as an Alaskan, every second person I know owns a .45/70. I'm sure they are much rarer in Wyoming, but still, every shooter knows that .45/70's are produced by several companies today and that they are not at all rare.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakBeer View Post
    They lost me on the first episode when solving the murder hinged on the "fact" that the .45/70 cartridge was only used in rare old Sharps Buffalo rifles, therefore the killer was somebody who collected antique weapons...

I haven't turned the show on since.
    I'll have to go back and look at that. Not sure I've seen the first one.

Yes this show is really good. And many tact they told us about cooking.

Ab_question_explain

It is very intresting show and i love to watch it.Thanx for sharing it.

The series is based on Craig Johnson's mystery novels about fictional sheriff Walt Longmire. It's on A&E channel. Season One Walt has returned work after a drunken binge after his wife was murdered. His jurisdiction abuts a Cheyenne reservation; the tribal police jealously guard their turf, but Longmire and the tribal police often have to cooperate like it or not. Walt's main Indian contact is barkeeper of the Red Pony (Lou Diamond Phillips).

One deputy, son of the big man in the county, is running for Walt's office, but resists his dad's attempts to use dirty tricks. Another deputy (Vic) is pining for her ex-hubby and Walt's straight-arrow daughter is working for the county prosecutor's office. The first season ended with a state investigator asking Walt if he had anything to do with the death of the suspect in his wife's murder. Nice cliffhanger. The wife and I like it better than Vegas given a choice between the two.

Reflecting back on the opening question, if you had read hunting magazines in the 1950s, you would know everyone in Wyoming ditched their .45-70s for Winchester Model 70s in .270 Winchester on advice of Jack O'Connor (same for 1894s in .30-30). Therefore, only an antique gun collector would have a .45-70 Walt has a '94 because he is an antique sheriff in a modern Wyoming.)

"New Season Coming 2013"

So it's been renewed for another year. Along with Justified, can't wait!

New season

Can anyone tell me, when the new season coming? i am missing it very badly.

Quote Originally Posted by asadsays View Post
    Can anyone tell me, when the new season coming? i am missing it very badly.

Click here to get a fix for your addiction!

And welcome to GRM. I hope you have a long stay.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973