Thread: New Caliber garden/pest control gun

New Caliber garden/pest control gun

I've been thinking about the 9mm shotshell and how useful a single shot break action smoothbore could be,a .357/38 Smoothbore as well,it should be a good pest getter without causing too much damage to surrounding areas.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Marlin used to have a .22 WMR smoothbore Garden Gun, specifically built around the CCI shotshell. Always struck me as a great idea, but they stopped making them before I was in the market for one.

In the absence of the Garden Gun, I note that a .410 single shot is easier to find than a .357 smoothbore long gun. But the idea for a .357 is good, as was the .22 WMR.

(Oops--just saw you already were talking about the Garden Gun in your other smoothbore thread.)

It's cool,it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfletch83 View Post
    I've been thinking about the 9mm shotshell and how useful a single shot break action smoothbore could be,a .357/38 Smoothbore as well,it should be a good pest getter without causing too much damage to surrounding areas.

My uncle used to have dies for the vacuum former that make little plastic cups with a fitted top that he would fill with birdshot and load in his .45 LC "Peacemaker." The things were good for killing rats in the corn crib. Whether they are made commercially I have idea none. IIRC the effective range was only about 25 to 30 feet though.

Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas

I have a Judge for that.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed George Washington -- PGR #298137

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    I have shot capsules from Speer for loading into my .357 magnum and 38 spcl brass. They suggest #12 shot but all I have is #9, works just fine.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

New Caliber garden/pest control gun
    What sort of pesty vegetables do you need to shoot?

Snakeshot might be good for peppers and broccolli, otherwise I would use a .22 on tomatoes, at least a .357 for zuchinni, and nothing less than a .30-30 for pumpkins
    Governments don't live together. People live together.

Well what I was talking about is something that will be more effective than the .22 LR and .22 magnum shotshells.

A smooth bore 9mm and/or .38 special should do the trick,without blowing large craters in a garden.

Well what I was talking about is something that will be more effective than the .22 LR and .22 magnum shotshells.

A smooth bore 9mm and/or .38 special should do the trick,without blowing large craters in a garden.
    More effective on what

For something like rabbits, why not just use a regular .22 solid/HP ...?

For small critters, you'd be shooting down into the ground for a backstop.
    Governments don't live together. People live together.

Research the 9mm Fobert cartridge. This is a shotshell designed for garden use. I have an older TC Contender .357 Mag bbl that has a choke designed for the "Hotshot" cartridge (longer shot capsule then the CCI/Speer capsule). I can keep a 6" pattern at 15 yds.

Speer shotcapsules

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08, 09,15 & 16'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11',14',17' & 18'

.17 HM2. No ricochet worries, compared to .22LR.

Not that I have one, but I've been drooling lately.

Why are you killing these innocent souls? If you find them on your garden screen just caught them in a cage and leave to nearby forest. Its not a good way to kill them.