Thread: Browning BLR-81 takedown replacement barrel

Browning BLR-81 takedown replacement barrel

I just aquired a used BLR takedown .243 with a trashed barrel. There are replacement barrels available from Browning. Is there any reason why a .308 barrel wouldn't fit. It is the same basic round, and I believe the internals are the same. One rifle with both .243 and .308 barrels would be great. If I could throw the .358 barrel on as well, I would be in heaven. Is this possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kirk View Post
    I just aquired a used BLR takedown .243 with a trashed barrel. There are replacement barrels available from Browning. Is there any reason why a .308 barrel wouldn't fit. It is the same basic round, and I believe the internals are the same. One rifle with both .243 and .308 barrels would be great. If I could throw the .358 barrel on as well, I would be in heaven. Is this possible?
    Oh. My. Goodness.

How complicated is a barrel change on these? As you say, its basically the same round for all 3...

If a barrel change isn't a major gunsmithing project, my dream gun just got dreamier... BLR in 243, 308 and 358... Other than hunting elephant, is there ANYTHING you couldn't do with that combo?

(Of course, scope and sighting could get interesting..hmmm, hmmm .... so much to dream over. Now if only someone would give me $3000....)
    I'm a skinny, rather geeky, over-educated Englishman living in the small-town MidWest who believes in the 2nd Amendment and the RKBA... my existence messes with people's stereotypes :-)

If a barrel change isn't a major gunsmithing project, my dream gun just got dreamier... BLR in 243, 308 and 358... Other than hunting elephant, is there ANYTHING you couldn't do with that combo?
    Zombies! You are correct,that trio can take on most of the world, and certainly all of North and South America.

Perhaps this forum from Brownells could be of assistance,Captain:

http://www.gunsmiths.com/
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

Unhappy Yes, but no.

After sending Browning multiple letters (via snail mail, cause they were not online) I finally received a voice mail message from a Gentlemen from the company stating, in short.

"Yes, it is physically and mechanically possible to swap barrels with any caliber that uses the same bolt head (243, 7mm-08, 308, 338 Federal) since all of these calibers use the same parent case. Even the Magazine is the same in the BLR.

HOWEVER! He was very specific in stating the the Browning SALES dept. will NOT sell you a caliber different than what the gun left the factory with originally."

To purchase replacement barrels, you must provide Browning with the serial number of the firearm. If the request does not match the serial number of your firearm, the sale is denied.

Now, I received that phone call in 2014. So it MAY be possible that Browning policy has evolved. But current history does not give me hope. You CAN order custom made barrels for the BLR from third parties. 2018 prices for those start around $300 +.

If you read this far, please take the time to write Browning a letter and let them know how you feel about their policy.

One Browning Place
    Morgan, UT 84050

customerservice@browning.com

Would reboring the Browning factory replacement barrel work out for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Cranford View Post
    After sending Browning multiple letters (via snail mail, cause they were not online) I finally received a voice mail message from a Gentlemen from the company stating, in short.

"Yes, it is physically and mechanically possible to swap barrels with any caliber that uses the same bolt head (243, 7mm-08, 308, 338 Federal) since all of these calibers use the same parent case. Even the Magazine is the same in the BLR.

HOWEVER! He was very specific in stating the the Browning SALES dept. will NOT sell you a caliber different than what the gun left the factory with originally."

To purchase replacement barrels, you must provide Browning with the serial number of the firearm. If the request does not match the serial number of your firearm, the sale is denied.

Now, I received that phone call in 2014. So it MAY be possible that Browning policy has evolved. But current history does not give me hope. You CAN order custom made barrels for the BLR from third parties. 2018 prices for those start around $300 +.

If you read this far, please take the time to write Browning a letter and let them know how you feel about their policy.

One Browning Place
    Morgan, UT 84050

customerservice@browning.com
    Could you order a factory replacement barrel according to the procedure you outlined above and then have a gunsmith rebore it to the caliber you want?