Thread: Change on veterans’ gun rights lights fire

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods

Change on veterans’ gun rights lights fire

Coburn wants decisions by judge rather than VA for impaired troops

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2EDdvpv88
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
    I keep bumping up against this topic so I decided to see what the Judge had to say. Judge Andrew Napolitano that is. Hard to believe he came from New Jersey. A sample of his writings, "The Constitution applies to persons, not just citizens. If you read the Constitution, its protections are not limited to Americans." Maybe the Libertarian candidate we are looking for that can challenge the establishment on an equal basis.
    1934 – National Firearms Act, 1968 – The Gun Control Act, 1986 – Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 – Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 – Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 – Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grump View Post
    I keep bumping up against this topic so I decided to see what the Judge had to say. Judge Andrew Napolitano that is. Hard to believe he came from New Jersey. A sample of his writings, "The Constitution applies to persons, not just citizens. If you read the Constitution, its protections are not limited to Americans." Maybe the Libertarian candidate we are looking for that can challenge the establishment on an equal basis.
    The Judge is a very strong supporter of the RKBA. I would call him a strict Constitutionalists. At least we Jersey boys have him,Alitto and Scalia to be proud of. Plus Sinatra,of course!

Napolitano is a Princeton and Notre Dame grad. Check out his bio HERE.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

This is something that hits real close to home for me. I am a veteran, a gun owner, and under the care of the VA for a service related condition. I receive medications from a VA physician for the management of my pain, currently a medication that is a controlled substance.

Why this concerns me is that under the current law the distinction between the use and abuse of controlled substances can be very subjective. Currently the VA has the authority to deem me "addicted" and therefore unfit to own a firearm. Because of this I do not feel free to discuss my concerns with my physician about my medications. I feel that I have to be very careful at what I say to avoid leaving the impression that I'm either abusing my medications or selling them on the black market.

I feel this way because I saw my prescription cut in half after making a mention of cutting my pills in half to avoid unpleasant side effects. I have no doubt that the physician was lead to believe I was not taking all the medications prescribed to me rather than what I meant, which was that I was just spreading the medication over time to avoid the unpleasant "rush" of taking a whole pill at once.

This situation has left me with some uncomfortable phone conversations and some obvious, though not directly stated, accusations of abusing my medications from VA staff. The strict controls on my medications has not only left me without effective pain relief for several days because my prescriptions were not being filled out quickly but also has left me stressed and concerned about my future ability to retain my own property and enjoy my hobbies.

This is about more than the rights of veterans. This is what we should all expect from government provided healthcare once Pelosicare comes into full effect in the near future.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    I'm sorry you have hit the cold wall of bureaucracy, been there with Social Security after I hurt my back. Trouble is there are way more stories like yours than there should be and I read about them all the time in my veterans news letters. You could be right about the Obama Care and I would be surprised if it was any other way. Some people will learn to game the system to their profit and the rest of us will pay for it.
    1934 – National Firearms Act, 1968 – The Gun Control Act, 1986 – Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 – Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 – Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 – Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

Pain can make you crazy. I have a torn medial meniscus and acl in my right knee, been waiting on surgery for almost a year. Morphine doesn't work, just have to push through the pain, I get tired.

I understand why some of these vets commit suicide, they are in severe pain, and can't get the care they need, as it takes weeks if not months to get an appointment.

To add insult to injury I am in Daytona, and have been told by my PCM, that when I have surgery, it will be in Miami. So I have to interrupt my school schedule to accommodate this.

Ad they want to mess with our rights without a formal due process hearing, f that.
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf