Thread: Anonymous : hackers weigh in on gun control...

Anonymous : hackers weigh in on gun control...

"Anonymous" is a loose knit group of hacktivist (hackers that use legal & illegal means to pursue political ends).

In the past, they have hacked into private databases and government databases to gather information and then post it to the public as a means to shed light on behavior from governments & individuals that they do not like.

The latest action they performed was illegally obtaining and publicly releasing the names & addresses of members of the Westboro Baptist Church. This was done in retaliation for the Westboro Baptist Church's planned picketing of the funerals of the victims from the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.

Recently they released this video about gun control in the USA.

http://youtu.be/DSdBx8Em4zg
    Last edited by Quiet; January 13th, 2013 at 07:31 AM. Reason: added full length video, previous was edited
    "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Fascinating. More to come, I think.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

Administrator   
    They have some facts slightly wrong at the beginning, but most are essentially correct. I don't know if they understand the step they have taken, but considering they are outside the fringe already, they might.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

Interesting times we live in.

This is an interesting video. At just about any other time in my life I would likely have discarded the thought of this video having any meaning beyond some internet pranksters trying to make a tempest from a teapot. Those times have past and I hope that the people in government that wish to disarm us do not discard this video as I would have before. This is an interesting video and we live in interesting times.

I believe that for maximum impact we'd have to see someone take the next step of distributing this video, or one much like it, more widely. I was going to write about how that could be done but thought otherwise since someone might actually attempt what I was thinking. The method I was thinking of would have been illegal but also quite effective, something that Anonymous is famous for.

It is curious to me that Anonymous would take on the issue of our right of self defense. That is not something I would have expected. I'm of mixed feelings here since I'm glad that this issue has touched so many and that these people feel the need to speak on it, but I'm not happy that the law abiding gun owners have a group known for illegal activity speaking as our advocate.

That old Chinese curse keeps coming to mind. I'm seeing more interesting things every day.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

I could do w/o the creepy looking 3 musketeers mask and hoody. Not to mention the strange effects in the video that sort of made it hard to watch.

They had a good point to make though.
    Brandon

Take a kid shooting. They are the future.

Quote Originally Posted by bruno2 View Post
    I could do w/o the creepy looking 3 musketeers mask and hoody. Not to mention the strange effects in the video that sort of made it hard to watch.

They had a good point to make though.
    That's the symbol of Anonymous something of a ID. It's said when a system is breached the custom is to leave at least one image in the system that pops up on occasion.

It's rare for members to make an open appearance complete with the symbol. I have to wonder if the fabled backdoor to the WH system(s) has been found and they know something we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Selena View Post
    That's the symbol of Anonymous something of a ID. It's said when a system is breached the custom is to leave at least one image in the system that pops up on occasion.

It's rare for members to make an open appearance complete with the symbol. I have to wonder if the fabled backdoor to the WH system(s) has been found and they know something we don't.
    We can hope.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

I can just imagine what the tone of the anti gun talks sound like in the blinds of the WH. You can bet on one thing, that they are banking on certain parts of legislation to pass while they parade the really big controversial issues around as if it were their main goal. They know they cant get a ban to go through as of right now. However, if they focus on the smaller stuff like the private sales that will really cripple us more than a ban on the large scale then it can be achieved with ease. Watch and see. People are even claiming the NRA wants to close the so called "gun show loophole". I have heard quite a few Republicans claim that only makes sense.

Also they might even have a shot at another damaging piece similar to the Lautenberg amendment. A law that will deem certain people psychologically unfit to buy guns. The way Dr.'s have been handing out anti-depressants like Halloween candy I bet it will relate directly towards that.

This administration seems to have a handle on the bait and switch as well as using tactics to get what they want. The Obamacare deal being passed and then upheld by SCOTUS should make everyone leary of what they can do. Beware of what they are making the biggest deal out of in front of the media because it more than likely isn't what they ultimately want to achieve. That's just the bait tactic and the switch will be what they supposedly settle for. Which in reality was the their ultimate goal from the start.
    Brandon

Anonymous are mostly a bunch of wannabe 'hackers', that is, mostly kids. They've done some slightly clever stuff (hacked an incompetent cybersecurity company), but they're not professionals like the hackers* who've been downloading everything possible for years from defense contractors, national laboratories and the like..
    Anonymous who did that clever stuff are now all 'cooperating' with FBI..they talked too much.

If there's a backdoor, anonymous isn't on it. And I doubt anyone would put really sensitive data on a net connected computer.

3 musketeers mask
    It's a Guy Fawkes mask, from that silly V for Vendetta film.

IMO, it's a good thing there's this video. I imagine teens give more heed to Anonymous than to what their parents or authorities say..

In a related note...
    This story came out because of Anonymous stealing and releasing emails from the Gov and HBGary Federal...

Computer World : Army of fake social media friends to promote propaganda

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene Storm
    It's recently been revealed that the U.S. government contracted HBGary Federal for the development of software which could create multiple fake social media profiles to manipulate and sway public opinion on controversial issues by promoting propaganda. It could also be used as surveillance to find public opinions with points of view the powers-that-be didn't like. It could then potentially have their "fake" people run smear campaigns against those "real" people. As disturbing as this is, it's not really new for U.S. intelligence or private intelligence firms to do the dirty work behind closed doors.

EFF previously warned that Big Brother wants to be your friend for social media surveillance. While the FBI Intelligence Information Report Handbook (PDF) mentioned using "covert accounts" to access protected information, other government agencies endorsed using security exploits to access protected information.
    "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Administrator   
    The mask is a Guy Fawkes mask, made famous in the movie "V for Vendetta", an excellent movie.

Personally , I still think its queer.
    Brandon

Administrator   
    Watch the movie, if you will, and you will understand why it was chosen. Also research The GunPowder Plot.

I will look for it AM.
    Brandon

Film is somewhat silly. The original V for Vendetta is far more nuanced and more interesting.

I am also have source that film mentioned, but any extra information helps.

I am not a internet hacker, but I did program computers in support of typesetting at Kingsport Press from 1969 to 2003. I think a Guy Fawkes mask, from V for Vendetta like worn by Anonymous, would be a detriment and distraction to any serious computer work. (An even bigger distraction would be hackers dressed like hacker Lisbeth Salander from the Millenium Series.)

I do think it is interesting that antiestablishment types can see through the argument that we must be disarmed becasue the authorities are always able to protect us.

Added:

It is bad enough that security firms are doing the things they do for private clients, the idea they may be working for the government is chilling. I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the USA against all enemies foreign and domestic, not an oath to support and defend the Government, and if the Government wishes to make itself a domestic enemy of the Constitution and the the People of the US, I will have to cheer Anonymous on, silly masks and all.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygree...dal-escalates/
    by Andy Greenberg, 2/15/2011 @ 8:55AM
    "HBGary Execs Run For Cover As Hacking Scandal Escalates"
    for Forbes

....services to clients like a law firm working with Bank of America and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce that included cyberattacks and misinformation campaigns, phishing emails and fake social networking profiles, pressuring journalists and intimidating the financial donors to clients’ enemies including WikiLeaks, unions and non-profits that opposed the Chamber. ... HBGary’s proposal to Bank of America’s law firm, in partnership with fellow security firms Palantir and Berico Technologies, to weaken WikiLeaks with cyberattacks and false documents as well as tracing and threatening its donors and supporters. But new information surfaced Monday about other shady approaches the firm suggested. As part of the company’s pitch to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, HBGary Federal’s Barr offered tactics like mining Classmates.com for information about a target individual’s friends, then building fake Facebook pages to gain access to subject’s personal details. He and Hoglund also discussed using spear phishing, a technique that typically plants malicious software on a user’s machine with a carefully spoofed email message. ....
    I remember the recent fake story planted that Daniele Perazzi CEO of the Italian shotgun firm was arrested for terrorism as he went to the Denver gunshow with seven prototype shotguns?

I remember CBS reporter Sharyl Attkisson, who has pursued the ATF Operation Fast and Furious scandal, reported her computer was being hacked; what better way to read reporter's notes and sources before a story is published than breaking and entering her computer? Attkisson first identified irregular activity on her computer Feb 2011 during the Fast and Furious gun-walking scandal.

On the Perazzi hoax. One source (Korrine Aguirre (27) of Walsenburg CO) claimed to be attorney for the grandson and namesake of Daniele Perazzi, CEO of Perazzi very high class shotgun makers of Italy. She told an NRA official and a gun rights lawyer attending the Denver gun show, the story: Daniele Perazzi took a cab to the Denver gun show with new shotguns for a display. The cabbie frightened by the shotguns called police reporting him as a terrorist. Perazzi was detained, questioned and released by police and went back to Italy. She told the news station the story, and when the news station checked with the Denver gun show, yes, they had heard the same thing. The story recirculated and amplified virally that the Daniel Perazzi, CEO of Perazzi, was arrested and charged as a terrorist. It gradually came out: Daniele Perazzi died last year, and his son Mauro is current CEO. There is no namesake grandson Daniele. Perazzi officials were not demonstrating a new product line at the Denver gun show. Apparently no representative of Perazzi was at the show. While Korrine Aguirre attended law classes, she apparently never passed the bar and is not listed as an attorney in CO. I now wonder where this story came from.
    Last edited by Carl N. Brown; May 27th, 2013 at 07:08 AM.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

I remember CBS reporter Sharyl Attkisson, who has pursued the ATF Operation Fast and Furious scandal, reported her computer was being hacked; what better way to read reporter's notes and sources before a story is published than breaking and entering her computer? Attkisson first identified irregular activity on her computer Feb 2011 during the Fast and Furious gun-walking scandal.
    I would not be surprised. Also, obviously ATF was doing the snooping, NSA and other genuine intelligence agencies use trojans that are hard to detect, like the 'Flame' trojan that Iranians found out about after years that was stealing sensitive information..