Thread: Petition Dilemma

Petition Dilemma

Over the last couple days I've heard several talking heads on the radio talk about a growing number of people that have stated they will not comply with an order to register their weapons. I believe this needs to be formally presented to our legislators.

Here's the problem I see, if I was to sign a petition stating that I have an "assault weapon" and I will not comply with any registration then by signing the petition I have effectively registered myself as the owner of an "assault weapon". How do I state both my unwillingness to comply with a law that I see as unconstitutional without also effectively telling them what they want to know?

Perhaps I am overly paranoid. Perhaps there is safety in numbers, as in if we get 30 million people to sign such a petition there is no way that the government could do anything about it. Perhaps there is a means to keep those that signed the petition from the government but still be able to show that there are large numbers of people unwilling to register their weapons if ordered to do so.

I realize that by even bringing this idea to this forum I have made a statement that could get me on some "list", but I'm already on all kinds of government lists. I post this for the benefit of others that fear even asking this question.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

Quote Originally Posted by IA_farmboy View Post
    Over the last couple days I've heard several talking heads on the radio talk about a growing number of people that have stated they will not comply with an order to register their weapons. I believe this needs to be formally presented to our legislators.

Here's the problem I see, if I was to sign a petition stating that I have an "assault weapon" and I will not comply with any registration then by signing the petition I have effectively registered myself as the owner of an "assault weapon". How do I state both my unwillingness to comply with a law that I see as unconstitutional without also effectively telling them what they want to know?

Perhaps I am overly paranoid. Perhaps there is safety in numbers, as in if we get 30 million people to sign such a petition there is no way that the government could do anything about it. Perhaps there is a means to keep those that signed the petition from the government but still be able to show that there are large numbers of people unwilling to register their weapons if ordered to do so.

I realize that by even bringing this idea to this forum I have made a statement that could get me on some "list", but I'm already on all kinds of government lists. I post this for the benefit of others that fear even asking this question.
    I've heard this before... Let me see...

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

I'm confused by your reply, Selena. Of the four boxes of liberty are you suggesting use of the ballot box? Or, the cartridge box?

I'm confused by your reply, Selena. Of the four boxes of liberty are you suggesting use of the ballot box? Or, the cartridge box?
    Just noticing the similarity to the Dec of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by Selena View Post
    Just noticing the similarity to the Dec of Independence.
    Ah, I see. I did not intend to make such a profound statement as the Declaration of Independence. I appreciate being compared to patriots such as the founders of this federation.

The original question still stands, how can we make our displeasure known to the powers that be without placing ourselves at risk of retaliation?

Side note: Have we gone so far from a republic that we should fear our own government?

Side note: Have we gone so far from a republic that we should fear our own government?
    ATM I don't trust my self-censorship. I'll give this the rant it deserves in a couple of days.

With our current Gov in charge we are moving further down the slope and it is getting steeper and a lot more slick. We have been going this way for along time, even before this pretender in chief. It is just that we see it more (if your looking) because the decline has been speeding up exponentially in the last few years.
    When and how did I become a senior member? Remember don't drink the Kool-aid!!

J.J.

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    When the government can decide its own pay, exempt themselves from laws that we are mandated to obey, when 'they'. (the political leadership), grow the government to increase their own power at the public expense and when they politicians do not adhere to their duties as enumerated in the constitution then yes it is time to fear our government.

It is time to go back towards the Republic we were designed to be and if the soap box does not do it and the ballot box cannot be trusted because those on power do the counting then it is time to point to the ammo box and remind the leaders of our government exactly why the 2nd amendment was written the way it was. This can still be done without blood but only if we can break through the apathy of the ill informed and apathetic majority who are having to pay for that big government.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grump View Post
    This can still be done without blood but only if we can break through the apathy of the ill informed and apathetic majority who are having to pay for that big government.
    I know a lot of people that have become dependent on the government that will be difficult to reach. These are people that receive government money in the form of retirement payments, disability pay, farming subsidies, work for the government or a contractor to the government, or some other form of supplement to their wage. Even I receive a government paycheck in the form of my veteran disability but I also realize that I cannot rely on that being there since the federal government is running out of money.

There are also the people that need to be on the good graces of the government to stay in business. We have restaurants and such that have licenses to sell alcohol. There's the stores that sell firearms. People need licenses to sell raw milk, produce, crops, tobacco, and alcohol. People need licenses to drive, hunt, fish, and get married.

People need a license to get married! How in the name of everything that is sacred and holy did we get to that? I don't mean to hijack the thread with a marriage license debate but I just wanted to point out how far we have become dependent on the government to do most anything in our lives.

We have a large portion of the population that rely on the government to live their lives and convincing them to leave that comfort zone is going to be difficult. I've come to realize that I cannot sit quietly any more. I may be putting my disability checks and subsidized healthcare at risk by doing so but I've come to a point where I don't care any more. I've realized that I'd be better off if the government stayed out of my life and allowed me to interact in a market free from government interference to get what I need. Even if that means buying my milk from someone that was not inspected by the Department of Agriculture.

How do I get people to think as I do? They don't need to come as far as I have. I just want people to state, on paper, that they will not comply with a semi-automatic firearm registration order.

The words of a few wise people come to mind here.
    "We must all hang together or we will assuredly hang separately."
    and
    "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

I suspect that these people will feel as I do when the situation requires it. I just want that to happen before its too late to do something about it.