Thread: The shot heard around the world.

The shot heard around the world.

There is an excellent history thread at ARF.com right now that is worth reading.

Many of us already know the general outline of what went down back in 1775. However, the OP's simple style of narration is very attention getting and his recounting of the events that led up to "the shot heard around the world" is compelling reading.

Take a few minutes to read through the thread and follow those momentous events that eventually led to the creation of this great country.

The shot heard around the world. <-- LINK

Very dear to our hearts around here.

Well, not to everyone's. If I've got it right: the local milita re-enacters were mustering for practice, and delivered a fusillade. Someone called the police, complaining of "automatic gun fire."

Others got worried about folks "being able" to discharge a gun "so close" to a school (about a half-mile away); some may have been concerned about the possiblility of an actual errant projectile, but I think most were worried about just the sound of gunfire--that it could be emotionally damaging to schoolchildren "after Newtown."

So, now they're drafting an ordinance in one town making it illegal to discharge a firearm within a half-mile of any school.

Can't make this stuff up, folks. Times have changed--or rather, the people have. One of these days, they'll do the re-enactments with those little cartoon guns that have a flag come out, saying "BOOM!" It's what's best for the children, don't you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Loosedhorse View Post

Well, not to everyone's. If I've got it right: the local milita re-enacters were mustering for practice, and delivered a fusillade. Someone called the police, complaining of "automatic gun fire."

Others got worried about folks "being able" to discharge a gun "so close" to a school (about a half-mile away); some may have been concerned about the possiblility of an actual errant projectile, but I think most were worried about just the sound of gunfire--that it could be emotionally damaging to schoolchildren "after Newtown."

So, now they're drafting an ordinance in one town making it illegal to discharge a firearm within a half-mile of any school.

Can't make this stuff up, folks. Times have changed--or rather, the people have. One of these days, they'll do the re-enactments with those little cartoon guns that have a flag come out, saying "BOOM!" It's what's best for the children, don't you know.

Now wait Horse, they have a valid point. PTSD is a horrible thing. However, they need to redirect the concern to the actual cause. Since relatively few children actually experienced the Newtown atrocity their PTSD must come from the horrific details shown by media. Ergo I humbly suggest they make any media transmission either print or electronic within a half mile of a child illegal. Let's attack the root cause not the symptoms.

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by Loosedhorse View Post

For history class in grade school our teacher had one of our students father bring in his black powder arms, most original. Took 3 teachers 2 trips to get all his gear from his truck into the classroom and then he took the whole day to go over all the equipment at the same time he was giving us a running commentary on the cause of and up to the first running battle with the British regulars in retreat. Nobody traumatized, it was better than the stuff we got on TV and not a single teacher objected. Flash forward 30 years and I am one of the coaches for my sons high school NJROTC rifle team in Wheeling Illinois. The following year the program was dead due to objections by parents who didn't even have kids in NJROTC or on the rifle team.

Now they are calling the cops on reenactors because shots could be heard a mile away from a school? I swear the ding dongs are getting bolder and dumber every day.

Prime time TV shows dealing primarily with sex is fine and cops and robbers shows with their bloody murders, beatings and shootouts is okay.

A law abiding, God fearing, self respecting moral group like the Boy Scouts having pocket knives or learning marksmanship is a bad thing for them to have and do. This same group attempting to keep their boys safe by excluding homosexual pedophiles from their organization is wrong?????

Ding - dong - ding - dong, the bell tolls for thee and me if we can't get a handle on these ninnies.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

Quote Originally Posted by Selena View Post

Now wait Horse, they have a valid point. PTSD is a horrible thing. However, they need to redirect the concern to the actual cause. Since relatively few children actually experienced the Newtown atrocity their PTSD must come from the horrific details shown by media. Ergo I humbly suggest they make any media transmission either print or electronic within a half mile of a child illegal. Let's attack the root cause not the symptoms.
    Do these fearful children hide under the table during the 4th of July? What happens if a television program has the sound of a gun?

PSTD among kids? My granddaughter crys in fear every time a dog comes near her (she's almost 2). Should I keep all dogs away?
    Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master.
    - Sallust

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by JWeeks View Post
    Do these fearful children hide under the table during the 4th of July? What happens if a television program has the sound of a gun?

PSTD among kids? My granddaughter crys in fear every time a dog comes near her (she's almost 2). Should I keep all dogs away?
    If it does not fit in a bun and taste good with mustard on it then you must keep the dog away.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

Quote Originally Posted by JWeeks View Post

No, sue Disney Corp for "Dog with a Blog."