Thread: PBS: Set your DVR

PBS: Set your DVR

Tuesday and Wednesday will see 4 hours of programming devoted to post-Newtown topics. The good news? The New York Times is NOT happy.

They say of After Newtown, Guns in America (10 PM ET Tuesday):
    A polished exercise in tasteful neutrality, it pings back and forth like a metronome between gun-control and gun-rights advocates, leaving their arguments unexamined while laying out a history of the role of firearms in American life, beginning with colonial times.

In the end the case for untrammeled gun ownership is made more vividly, if not more substantially — its proponents include David Keene, president of the National Rifle Association, and Cody Wilson, who encourages the home manufacture of AR-15 rifles using 3-D digital printers — while the cautionary voices tend to belong to historians and law enforcement officials, who speak with an inherent reserve.

The gun lobby also wins the battle of imagery: scenes of hunters and target shooters in green fields and forests support its case, while shots of Chicago’s violent streets can argue either for regulation or for the need to own a gun for self-defense.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/19/ar...-violence.html
    Last edited by Loosedhorse; February 19th, 2013 at 04:35 PM.

Thanks for the tip Loosed. I am going to try to catch it.
    Brandon

Take a kid shooting. They are the future.

DVR set - thanks.
    It only becomes class warfare when the working class decides to fight back.
    When they don't, it simply becomes a case of economic genocide.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

Quote Originally Posted by Loosedhorse View Post
    Tuesday and Wednesday will see 4 hours of programming devoted to post-Newtown topics. The good news? The New York Times is NOT happy.

They say of After Newtown, Guns in America (10 PM ET Tuesday):

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/19/ar...violence.html.
    Need to take the period off the end of your link...

Sorry...

Period removed. And put here--> .

Quote Originally Posted by Loosedhorse View Post
    Period removed. And put here--> .

Let the record reflect I resisted the use of a double entendre.

9PM!

My local listing has "After Newtown" at 9, and "Raising Adam Lanza" at 10.

Sorry for the previous mislisting.

Is that Eastern time Loosed? IOW will it start at 10 PM Central time?
    Brandon

Take a kid shooting. They are the future.

(Yes, it was Eastern time.)

Anyone see it, or the Adam Lanza and Newtown Divided shows that followed?

I thought it was WAY more balanced I'd expect from PBS. There were of course many points that they confused:

• The fact that officers felt "out gunned" in the late 1970s was in large part due to the lower availability of cheap .25 jammatics because of the 1968 import ban, and to the police-driven development of pistols like the S&W 59.
    • One speaker overlooked the (just discussed in detail) use of the militia before, during and after the Revolution to claim that ownership of guns for self-defense didn't start until after the Civil War.
    • They missed the fact that prohibition-era cities with the highest crime and strictest anti-gun laws also had the highest levels of police corruption.
    • They implied that the NFA '34 was a "ban" and that it ended prohibition-era violence (Capone convicted '31, prohibition repealed '33).
    • They successfully tangled together the completely separate ideas that a lawful person has a legal right to defend himself from criminal attack and a (seemingly manufactured) concept that Americans felt they need guns to be "real men"

I'm sure I missed some others. But I was surprised at the low number of these gaffs. And they didn't edit out both the NRA president and the curator at the NRA firearms museum saying some very informative and pro-gun things.

The Newtown Divided piece was worse. There was a constant equivalence drawn that "doing something" about "gun violence" meant passing new gun control laws; despite claims that "we're open to all ideas" it was clear that doing anything--no matter how much--except passing gun laws would be considered the same as doing nothing.

They portrayed mag limits as "common sense" again. And after saying that "most crime guns" are "legally bought"--that is, stolen from legal buyers (how's that "legally bought?") or bought from an FFL by a straw buyer (also illegal)--they went on about the "gun show loophole", never mentioning that the two scenarios they just talked about (thefts and straw buys from FFLs) would not be prevented by requiring background checks on all private sales.

Other than that, no problems.

It actually did a good job of showing how divisive the gun-control issue is, and therefore to any person not driven first and foremost by an antigun agenda it suggested the need to back away from the antigun effort and focus instead on the many other available crime-reducing and schoolchildren-protecting efforts that everyone could support.

I watched it - ye olde radar went off on 'bout all the points you mentioned.

So they say Adam Lanza 'supposedly' reloaded many times, even though the magazines were not empty, reportedly mimicking the video games he played?
    Tell me again how large (normal) capacity magazines had anything to do with this situation?

I see on O'Reilly's segment last night with John Stossel that he again mentioned the mother's "obsession" with guns - one of the very points one of her friends sought to debunk on the PBS show.

Poor old O'Reilly - he tries, but on the subject of guns, he continues to come across as a complete boob.

BTW - anybody in here taking Joe Biden's advise on what to use for defense, and the tactics he suggests (what he told his wife to do)?

Recent events have Fudds popping up all over...
    It only becomes class warfare when the working class decides to fight back.
    When they don't, it simply becomes a case of economic genocide.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

Did anyone else notice the "Full Auto" tag hanging off the barrel of one of the AKs in the Philadelphia PD storage room 39 minutes into the video?

One of the other AKs in that shot had a tag, but the writing wasn't visible to the camera. The other AKs and SKSs in the frame didn't have tags, so I'd assume that the AK with the visible tag was a real deal, military issue, select fire AK.

They talked a bit about Chicago in the video. I've heard people claim you can't bash gun control because it failed to lower the homicide rate, or even the "gun violence" rate, in Chicago because the borders of the city aren't secure and criminals just bring in guns from states with "lax" gun laws. I'd say the borders of the country are barely any more secure, if any more, judging by illegal immigration, drugs, and the aforementioned select fire AK.

I don't think that AK in Philly was an isolated case of a smuggler getting lucky just once either. You'll notice on page 4 of the ATF trace data in CA (http://www.atf.gov/files/statistics/...california.pdf) that they received trace requests for 70 automatic weapons in 1 state in the US in 1 year.

Another sidenote; 41 minutes in they start talking about gun shows ... and then show footage from the SHOT show and even a few seconds of video from what looks like an AUSA convention (AUSA = Association of the US Army, basically a get together in DC for defense suppliers and Pentagon brass where companies show off the newest body armor, uniforms, CamelBacks, EOD robots, etc.)