Thread: Is "Cop Baiting" An Effective Method Of Educating The Public?

Is "Cop Baiting" An Effective Method Of Educating The Public?

which is, IMHO, analogous to reverse entrapment by doing something legal, but out of the ordinary, to entice a cop to arrest you. Open carry is one thing. Walking around town with an AR and a video camera (or fishing off a pier in Florida with pistol on hip, fishing pole in one hand, video camera in the other).

What is your opinion of this type of activism? Is it an effective method of getting our message out or does it make enemies for us?

My final question is why is the cop so certain that his AR is cooler than the videographers
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    which is, IMHO, analogous to reverse entrapment by doing something legal, but out of the ordinary, to entice a cop to arrest you. Open carry is one thing. Walking around town with an AR and a video camera (or fishing off a pier in Florida with pistol on hip, fishing pole in one hand, video camera in the other).

What is your opinion of this type of activism? Is it an effective method of getting our message out or does it make enemies for us?

My final question is why is the cop so certain that his AR is cooler than the videographers
    Without watching the video (work frowns on streaming video), I have to say that at least some things you defined as "cop baiting" MUST be allowable. A guy fishing while carrying in a place where carry is not forbidden? Regardless of whether or not he has a camera, he's doing nothing wrong. Where's the "entrapment" there? Similarly, the guy carrying the AR? If carry is not forbidden, he's not doing anything illegal, is he?

My understanding is that entrapment arises in response to an illegal encouragement (typically by LEOs) to commit an act that is illegal in and of itself. No illegal encouragement occurs in these cases. I personally see little to no difference between "regular open carry" and the circumstances you list.
    "It's time we quit solving the wrong problem
    The problem is the bad guy, not his tools.
    Solve that."
    - ArfinGreebly, mod at THR.us

Quote Originally Posted by erictank View Post
    Without watching the video (work frowns on streaming video), I have to say that at least some things you defined as "cop baiting" MUST be allowable. A guy fishing while carrying in a place where carry is not forbidden? Regardless of whether or not he has a camera, he's doing nothing wrong. Where's the "entrapment" there? Similarly, the guy carrying the AR? If carry is not forbidden, he's not doing anything illegal, is he?
    If doing something legal is considered 'cop baiting' merely by being unusual their is no longer a need for education. The question is moot and the cause is lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Selena View Post
    If doing something legal is considered 'cop baiting' merely by being unusual their is no longer a need for education. The question is moot and the cause is lost.
    Apparently, you tube has removed the video. In the beginning of the video the videographers state clearly that they are walking around open carrying an AR with the expressed intent to draw a confrontation with the police so that they can “educate” him. If that isn’t “baiting” I don’t know what is.
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

It is legal to film interactions with law-enforcement officials in public. If it is also legal to carry a slung rifle there, they are doing nothing illegal.

If the cops choose to overreact and violate the law and the rights of the innocent, that's on them, not the ones carrying and filming.
    "It's time we quit solving the wrong problem
    The problem is the bad guy, not his tools.
    Solve that."
    - ArfinGreebly, mod at THR.us

The sucky thing about youtube taking the video down is that you can't see that the cop was actually very polite and professional

Quote Originally Posted by erictank View Post
    It is legal to film interactions with law-enforcement officials in public. If it is also legal to carry a slung rifle there, they are doing nothing illegal.

If the cops choose to overreact and violate the law and the rights of the innocent, that's on them, not the ones carrying and filming.
    Precisely.

Is "cop baiting" effective? I think so. If the police weren't known to violate people's civil rights then we would not have people going around recording video of themselves NOT breaking the law. I'm not so sure it's the public that are getting the education though. I think it's mostly police officers that are learning a lesson.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Apparently, you tube has removed the video. In the beginning of the video the videographers state clearly that they are walking around open carrying an AR with the expressed intent to draw a confrontation with the police so that they can “educate” him. If that isn’t “baiting” I don’t know what is.
    If the officer doesn't know the law, and can so easily be drawn into a "confrontation" with someone over performance of a legal act, then their department hasn't done their duty, and someone needs to "educate" them!
    Not all problems can be solved by shooting the heck out of them..... Well most can, and if not then high explosives can really be your friend!

If you can't do something smart ........ do something right!

There are only 2 people in this world I trust and you ain't one of'em!