+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "A good day to die hard" - recent Bruce Willis film.

Administrator   

"A good day to die hard" - recent Bruce Willis film.

*WARNING* SPOILERS AHEAD *WARNING*

*WARNING* LAST CHANCE * SPOILERS AHEAD *WARNING*

Any of y'all watch this?

Did it seem to you that it would be more aptly named "A very long Mercedes-Benz commercial featuring Bruce Willis" ?

I was not impressed with the movie overall, but they sure did orchestrate some crazy destructive motor vehicle destruction, didn't they?

As far as weapons, it was neat to see they got actual Russian agencies to provide "extras" and advise on what arms are being carried.

My verdict: Wait for it to come to network television, and it'll be okay to watch if you've nothing better to do.
    "Tactical" is a mindset, not an equipment list.

Home | Forum | Blog | ❏ PicPaste | ImgDump |☎ Nalioth

Haven't seen, but it's on my Redbox list of stuff to rent.

BTW, it seems Hollywood is jumping on the prepper etc. craze with a number of doomsday movies?

Here's a list of stuff I plan on renting @ Redbox when out (some are probably a year away):
    1. A Good Day To Die Hard
    2. Olympus Has Fallen
    3. White House Down
    4. Iron Man 3
    (Already heard from someone that just saw at the theater that he was unimpressed - typical action overload movie?)
    5. Man Of Steel
    6. Star Trek Into Darkness
    7. After Earth
    8. World War Z

Hopefully a few of them will actually have stories, and not be the usual "action only" (no plot) movies that seem to be aimed at the 18 to 35 demographic.

I just loaned my first 5 Seasons of 24 to an individual that had not seen it - he and his wife are having a ball blowing through 'em.

BTW - anybody seen the Canadian TV Series Flashpoint - good or bad?
    I just ran across that the other day (never seen an episode).
    It gets good reviews @ Amazon, so I'm tempted to either buy Seasons 1 thru 5 on eBay (if I can get cheap) or subscribe to Netflix again and give it a try?

Reviews sound good, but Amazon folks also rated Rookie Blue highly! I've seen every episode of Rookie Blue, but I often end up wondering why...
    It only becomes class warfare when the working class decides to fight back.
    When they don't, it simply becomes a case of economic genocide.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

Administrator   
    Quote Originally Posted by basicblur View Post
    4. Iron Man 3
    (Already heard from someone that just saw at the theater that he was unimpressed - typical action overload movie?)

*SNIP*

Hopefully a few of them will actually have stories, and not be the usual "action only" (no plot) movies that seem to be aimed at the 18 to 35 demographic.
    I'm not going to spoil it for anyone, but I believe your friend was unimpressed because IM3 required some cogitation. IOW, it was the opposite of "typical action overload", IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of action in it, but also content of a higher order.

I just ran across that the other day (never seen an episode).
    It gets good reviews @ Amazon, so I'm tempted to either buy Seasons 1 thru 5 on eBay (if I can get cheap) or subscribe to Netflix again and give it a try?
    It's an excellent series.

Good stories, good acting, good production values.

It's an excellent series.
    Good stories, good acting, good production values.
    Good to know - now I'm torn between buying the DVDs, Netflix, or watching a few episodes over the next few days on ION TV.

ION (over the next few days) has 'em all out of order, so I kinda hate to watch 'em?
    I may give an episode or two a shot, and if I like, I may go the Netflix or DVD route if I can pick up the series cheap on eBay.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

Administrator   
    ION (over the next few days) has 'em all out of order, so I kinda hate to watch 'em?
    Yeah, while Flashpoint isn't much on the "to be continued" trope across several episodes, it is a sequential series.

Might want to wait 'til you can start with the first one.

Just out of curiosity, what would you pay for Seasons 1 thru 5 for someone who:
    1. Has never seen it.
    2. Can slightly amortize the cost by lending it out to friends (if it's good)?

There's a bunch of 'em on eBay - I'm just trying to decide on my price limit - hopefully under $30 delivered if I bide my time, but since I just started watching prices, I have no idea what they end up going for?
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

Administrator   
    Just out of curiosity, what would you pay for Seasons 1 thru 5 for someone who:
    1. Has never seen it.
    2. Can slightly amortize the cost by lending it out to friends (if it's good)?

There's a bunch of 'em on eBay - I'm just trying to decide on my price limit - hopefully under $30 delivered if I bide my time, but since I just started watching prices, I have no idea what they end up going for?
    If you can get all five seasons on DVD/BD for $30 to your door, I believe you'll have done very well.

IMHO, Flashpoint is much better than two tickets for & pogeybait at a shabby movie (like the one this thread's about).

If you can get all five seasons on DVD/BD for $30 to your door, I believe you'll have done very well.
    Based on your recommendation, that's what I'll shoot for, although $30 is pretty much my limit?

I think A Good Day to Die Hard DVDs are now on sale? (thought I saw 'em in Walmart).

If so, it should be @ Redbox within the next 30 days - I plan on giving it a shot.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

Administrator   
    I think A Good Day to Die Hard DVDs are now on sale? (thought I saw 'em in Walmart).

If so, it should be @ Redbox within the next 30 days - I plan on giving it a shot.
    Not much of a movie, IMHO, but due to it being filmed in Russia, there's plenty of modern Russian firearms to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
    Any of y'all watch this?
    Cartoon physics meets action film.

Hollywood has lost the art of using film to tell a story. Films like Casablanca and The Big Sleep are not great because of Bogart and Bergman or Bogart and Bacall. They're great because the films tell an engaging story. All without exotic special effects. Orsen Wells set the story telling bar pretty high when he panicked the nation with his 1938 War of the Worlds broadcast over the radio.

Aside from a few one liners the recent crop of action films do little for me.

The Fifth Element rose above the effluent that flows from Hollywood. It told a story and was excellent. It's a good example of how to use special effects for the setting, not as plot devices.

The Razzies should introduce a new award for the most egregious use of cartoon physics in an action film.

I spent a year on and off working in Toronto. It was never that exciting. I think they burn off more ammo in each episode than the entire Toronto PD uses in a month including practice.
    I love the smell of Hoppes #9 in the morning.

+ Reply to Thread