+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Colorado Burning (Again)

Colorado Burning (Again)

At last report the fire in Black forest is at 400 acres and several homes have been lost. I will post pictures from work tomorrow.

The thing that really bothers me about the coverage is they keep showing people's homes burn down. Now imagine turning on the TV in an evacuation center and it's your home and you get to atch it again and again and again

http://www.krdo.com/news/wildfire-bu...z/-/index.html

The Royal Gorge Fire The fire is burning near the Royal Gorge Bridge and Park, west of Caņon City.

Fremont County Officials asked people not to call 911 to report the fire unless there is an emergency.

The Royal Gorge Fire is estimated at 200 acres.

The Black Forest Fire
    The Black Forest Fire is burning near Highway 83 and Shoup Road in northern El Paso County. It has grown to at least 400 acres.

We're told at least 8 homes are threatened between Milam Road and Sexton Hallow Road.

At least 6 homes were burning Tuesday afternoon. We do not know the exact number of homes lost, or the addresses of those homes
    Other fires
    Additional wildfires were burning in Colorado Tuesday including one near La Veta in Huerfano County, and another near Estes Park in Rocky Mountain national Park.

The fire near La Veta is being called the Middle Creek Fire. The fire has burned 40 to 50 acres and emergency notification calls have gone out to 200 residents. Two families have been evacuated. No homes have been damaged.
    It's going to be a very long summer
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

Smoke plume from my back yard last night. Smoke is really bad at work this morning we are an short patrols and wearing respirators
    to deal with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130611_184454.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	423.4 KB 
ID:	91881  
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

Watching peoples' actual homes actually burning might encourage mitigation efforts by other homeowners --even on the plains.

You know, like keeping brush and growth away from the house and all the other recommended things.

I know there was somebody killed in his home in one of the last big fires, and he had done everything to "fireproof" his mountain home --slate roof, concrete walls, wide-area firebreaks, sprinkler system, reserve water tanks, etc. But this is not a reason not to get after the brush and take other measures to enhance the fire resistance of your property.

And shake-shingle roofs are just evvvar so popular:

Terry, 230RN

(Pic credit in properties)
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)

More photos of the black forrest fire

I'm at Mark Sheffle and North Carefree and the fire is just north of Mark Sheffle and Woodman
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130612_104357.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	91883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130612_102751.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	417.9 KB 
ID:	91882  

+ Reply to Thread