+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wanna See a Great MLB Catch?

Wanna See a Great MLB Catch?

Mike Trout,LA Angels. 6/22/2014. Post some more!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

Nice play! Heartbreaker for the other team though.
    Brandon

Take a kid shooting. They are the future.

Here is another one.1947 World Series,Game 6. Al Gionfriddo robs the great Joe DiMaggio with a great catch in the bullpen!

The Dodgers lose the Series the next day in game 7.

The wonderful Dodger announcer, Red Barber, does the greatest call in World Series history on the play:

"Swung on, belted... it's a long one... back goes Gionfriddo, back, back, back, back, back, back... heeee makes a one-handed catch against the bullpen! Oh, Doctor!"

Watch Smith go to the hole and bare hand one with enough time to make the play at 1st!
    http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...shopathome_001
    Brandon

Lets embed that fabulous play,Brandon:

I thought I did , but youtube didn't do it for me that time.

I was reading somebody's top 10 Cardinals of all time list and they didn't even have the Wizard on it.

Then I saw several others that had him in the top 5 or least top 10 where he should be.

How about Vince Coleman and his career 549 stolen bases. He had 3 yrs where he averaged 110 per yr!
    Brandon

If not the greatest,almost certainly the most famous catch in baseball history.

Willie Mays,Game 1,1954 World Series New York Giants-Cleveland Indians.
    The most distant center field in major league history, the Polo Grounds at 485 feet.Only 2 home runs are hit there from 1912 to the 1965 demolishment :Lou Brock and Joe Adcock.

Vic Wertz of the Native Americans smashes the ball!
    Mays makes the over the shoulder grab at about 455 .No major league park today has any wall at over 450.

Quote Originally Posted by bruno2 View Post
    I thought I did , but youtube didn't do it for me that time.

I was reading somebody's top 10 Cardinals of all time list and they didn't even have the Wizard on it.

Then I saw several others that had him in the top 5 or least top 10 where he should be.

How about Vince Coleman and his career 549 stolen bases. He had 3 yrs where he averaged 110 per yr!

The Wizard is certainly in my top 5 of the Cards,my wonderful older sisters favorite team.She had her bedroom wall plastered with posters of her favorite Cards in the early 1940's when they won 3 World series in 5 years.

We have to start with Stan "the Man" Musial, of course.
    My # 2 would be Albert Pujols.. Then Rogers Hornsby,Bob Gibson and Ozzie at #5. I love the Cards myself.

Listening to them on KMOX,St Louis,that powerful 50,000 watts made millions of us Card fans. Harry Carey, then Jack and Joe Buck. It has been a great ride for me since 1953.

Gotta remember your Okie,Pepper Martin,who almost singlehandedly won the 1931 World Series against the Philadelphia A's, perhaps the greatest team of all time.

That last video you posted should be a hallmark to any ball players of today. Wertz did smash the ball with no performance enhancing drugs what so ever. Of course a text book catch as well at the wall ( long wall at that). Mays turned on the wheels to get under that one to say the least.
    Brandon

St. Louis is my favorite MLB team. They are kicking butt this yr too. They did have the best record in MLB. I haven't looked to see of they still do. They have won more World Series than anyone except for the Yanks.
    Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by bruno2 View Post
    That last video you posted should be a hallmark to any ball players of today. Wertz did smash the ball with no performance enhancing drugs what so ever. Of course a text book catch as well at the wall ( long wall at that). Mays turned on the wheels to get under that one to say the least.
    Good points. Mantle was much faster,in fact, perhaps the fastest player in MLB history batting LH, but Willie had perhaps better instincts in the field.

A glorious decade in the 1950's with Musial,Williams,Aaron,Frank Robinson,Kaline,Duke Snider,Campy,Yogi,Jackie,Mays,Mantle,Kiner,Clemente,Spahn,Ford,Wynn,Feller and so many more. I was lucky to see it all.

And the Cards have have won 11 World Series. The Giants and Dodgers trail far behind in the National League with 7 and 6,respectively.. The Yanks 27 is out of site in this millennium.
    Last edited by Johnny Dollar; June 23rd, 2013 at 11:15 PM.

I didn't really start watching baseball until the early 60s. I saw Mantle the slugger, not the speedster, and Willie and Stan, though still great, were past their peaks.

But I got to see quite a lot of Kaline, Colavito, and Mickey Stanley. Three fine fielding outfielder. Kaline had a great arm from RF and Colavito had a cannon. Stanley had huge range, and quick enough reactions and a good enough arm to move to SS for the 1968 series.

The 60s were great but clearly the 50s were the peak baseball years.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar View Post
    The Wizard is certainly in my top 5 of the Cards,my wonderful older sisters favorite team.She had her bedroom wall plastered with posters of her favorite Cards in the early 1940's when they won 3 World series in 5 years.

We have to start with Stan "the Man" Musial, of course.
    My # 2 would be Albert Pujols.. Then Rogers Hornsby,Bob Gibson and Ozzie at #5. I love the Cards myself.

Listening to them on KMOX,St Louis,that powerful 50,000 watts made millions of us Card fans. Harry Carey, then Jack and Joe Buck. It has been a great ride for me since 1953.

Gotta remember your Okie,Pepper Martin,who almost singlehandedly won the 1931 World Series against the Philadelphia A's, perhaps the greatest team of all time.
    Dizzy Dean at his peak -- but he had a very short career.

Another dynamite Card Lewpo!

STL is a force to be reckoned with!

I have always watched baseball since the late 70's, but I really didn't understand or enjoy it until my boy started palying. He played for about 10 yr (from 4 to 14). He played on some high dollar competitive teams in the last few yrs. We had parents and coaches that were AAA or D1 college players. Some like the Stillwell"s had MLB players in their family too. I learned a lot about the game. Until then I didn't know how much of a chess match was actually going on out there. It's a fine game regardless of how little action compared to other sports is going on in the field.
    Brandon

+ Reply to Thread