+ Reply to Thread

Thread: If this doen't frost you, nothing will.

Angry If this doen't frost you, nothing will.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...=SFnewyorkpost
    Melisa Jackson, 27, was in uniform and on-duty when she snuck away from her dispatcher job at FDNY headquarters in downtown Brooklyn in December 2009 to meet her EMT boyfriend in a nearby Au Bon Pain. But when pregnant Eutisha Rennix, 25, had a serious asthma attack, Jackson wouldn’t even walk into the back room to look at her.
    Both Rennix and her unborn baby died.
    How does such an irresponsible individual ever make it through nursing school?

Outside court Jackson refused to apologize to the Rennix family or accept any responsibility — and said she would do the same thing again.
    I guess we can expect a lot more of this with ObamaCare. Heck, with health care of this caliber, what good is any insurance?

Zip
    "Few of the great tragedies of history were created by the village idiot, and many by the village genius." Thomas Sowell
    "Sometimes absurdity is worth it for its own sake." Andrew Breitbart
    "Reality is not optional." Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Zipperhead View Post
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...=SFnewyorkpost

I guess we can expect a lot more of this with ObamaCare. Heck, with health care of this caliber, what good is any insurance?

Zip
    I don't care what kind of work you point at there will be good and there will be bad. For every nurse I've met in study for LPN or RN that is working to be able to better care for patients there is one that wants the degree for what he will no longer have to do to draw a paycheck. I can give you stories of an EMT that worked trying to revive a dead patient for over an hour, I can give you another story of an EMT that waited for an extraction because he didn't want to get his shoes wet. You are going to find the majority are dedicated and hard working, There are a few, not many thank God and the Saints that see patients as "gomers" and give the bare minimum to get by.

FWIW- your odds of getting the sub-par is very small as they are usually not answering their phones on the off days while the dedicated are being called in.

Quote Originally Posted by Selena View Post
    I don't care what kind of work you point at there will be good and there will be bad. For every nurse I've met in study for LPN or RN that is working to be able to better care for patients there is one that wants the degree for what he will no longer have to do to draw a paycheck. I can give you stories of an EMT that worked trying to revive a dead patient for over an hour, I can give you another story of an EMT that waited for an extraction because he didn't want to get his shoes wet. You are going to find the majority are dedicated and hard working, There are a few, not many thank God and the Saints that see patients as "gomers" and give the bare minimum to get by.

FWIW- your odds of getting the sub-par is very small as they are usually not answering their phones on the off days while the dedicated are being called in.
    Having been a Medical Tech for 24 months,I completely agree. I've sucked vomit out of babies mouths in ER and picked hundreds of slivers of glass out of drivers and passengers who have gone through windshields.

To this day,40 years later, I still stop at any suddenly occurring accident, if the need to render first aid or CPR is there.

I am never going to walk away or run away or drive away from a person in need.

The professionals that do are rare and unconscionable.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

I can't agree more with both JD & Selena. (I have a brother that is an RN.) My main gripe about this particular story is that this is evidently standard operating procedure and/or proper and accepted job performance in NJ.

Zip
    "Few of the great tragedies of history were created by the village idiot, and many by the village genius." Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar View Post
    Having been a Medical Tech for 24 months,I completely agree. I've sucked vomit out of babies mouths in ER and picked hundreds of slivers of glass out of drivers and passengers who have gone through windshields.

To this day,40 years later, I still stop at any suddenly occurring accident, if the need to render first aid or CPR is there.

I am never going to walk away or run away or drive away from a person in need.

The professionals that do are rare and unconscionable.
    I hesitate to call the sub par professionals but I get your point. The sub-par and the dedicated represent only themselves not the profession. Doctors, nurses, farmers, accountants, lawyers and police are all on a one on one basis. The sub-par like to claim the collective profession, most have the wisdom to see the fallacy.

I hesitate to call the sub par professionals but I get your point. The sub-par and the dedicated represent only themselves not the profession. Doctors, nurses, farmers, accountants, lawyers and police are all on a one on one basis. The sub-par like to claim the collective profession, most have the wisdom to see the fallacy.
    I agree with you there also. Since I still have the skills, even after 4 decades, I still consider myself a "professional", if the time for instantaneous action occurs.

The Heimlich Maneuver,all the updated CPR skills,etc. I've kept abreast of the evolution of techniques.

So if the time comes,family wise or stranger wise,I'll be as ready as I can.

I agree with you there also. Since I still have the skills, even after 4 decades, I still consider myself a "professional", if the time for instantaneous action occurs.

The Heimlich Maneuver,all the updated CPR skills,etc. I've kept abreast of the evolution of techniques.

So if the time comes,family wise or stranger wise,I'll be as ready as I can.
    Not really, just a gifted amateur.

I was only in the medical field (NREMTB / RMA) for about 6 years and I think the most unprofessional people I ever met were the instructors at the “college” I went to to get my MA “degree”. No joke with 4 years as an EMT I had more experience and (in the words of the department chair) medical knowledge than most of them.

Most of the instructors were looking for an easy pay check and didn’t give a monkey fart how well we did in class. One of my class mates actually put a half a page in the middle of a term paper about unicorns flying out of his butt and the instructor never caught it until she gave him a “B” for the class and he challenged it on the basis that there was no way she read that paper before she graded it, he got his “A” and she got a new job.

The people I worked with in the Army OTOH were very professional. lousy soldiers but great medics, in the Army I was taught that I was a soldier first and my MOS second, not in USAMEDDAC, there you were your specialty period. We were imprinted at Ft. Sam that patient care comes before anything else. Before you eat, before you sleep, before you bathe (remember this was a field hospital) before you smoke even before you duck for incoming fire.

The last Dr. I worked for was an HMO who got paid flat rate by the patient he stacked them in the waiting room and he didn’t care how long they waited. He could see 3 maybe 4 patients an hour and he wanted us to book six.

Bad people make bad health care providers
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

Not really, just a gifted amateur.
    Well then, better to be a "gifted" amateur, rather than a deficient "professional"!

Well then, better to be a "gifted" amateur, rather than a deficient "professional"!
    Ever hear the old saying- Knows just enough to be dangerous?

Sorry Johnny, I had an extra two hours of sleep today so I'm a bit mischievous. Nothing personal.

Being in the medical field doesn’t make dirtbag a saint. There’s a lot of CNAs running around the internet claiming to be RNs and I actually had a guy that got his AAS/ MA (For those who don't know an MA has about the same ammount of training as a 91B20 just with a 2 year degree) from the same school I went to trying to tell me that he was just as qualified as an RN. That would be the equivalent of me telling another security guard that I have the same arrest authority as a cop.

I do think this woman should be held to a somewhat higher standard though because when she screws up people die as opposed to when I screw up and no one even knows it happened because I am the only person on the site I work at any way
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

I read the article, and maybe I just plain missed it with my poor vision, but where does it say the person is in nursing school, or is a nurse? Zipper?
    Lets give Tennessee the best gun laws in the country!
    http://www.tfaonline.org/index.php
    http://www.tfaonline.org/forum
    NRA - Benefactor, TFA - Life, GOA - Life

Quote Originally Posted by SomeKid View Post
    I read the article, and maybe I just plain missed it with my poor vision, but where does it say the person is in nursing school, or is a nurse? Zipper?
    She is an EMT

From the first sentence:
    The Brooklyn EMT who callously refused to help a dying pregnant woman because she was on her coffee break
    IIRC, EMT = Emergency Medical Technician.

Still, I cannot understand why this person could possibly retain her certifications nor why she still (apparently) has a job in anything related to medicine - including washing ambulances.

Zip

From the first sentence:IIRC, EMT = Emergency Medical Technician.

Still, I cannot understand why this person could possibly retain her certifications nor why she still (apparently) has a job in anything related to medicine - including washing ambulances.

Zip
    I think he was refering to this statement from your OP

EMTs don't go through nursing school I took a 6 month course at a community College

Zipper, EMT and Nurse are not interchangeable.

Ever hear the old saying- Knows just enough to be dangerous?

Sorry Johnny, I had an extra two hours of sleep today so I'm a bit mischievous. Nothing personal.
    OK. I'm in a good mood too. About to go back to the North Carolina mountains in July.

So,I'll go with your saying and my sig line. I have knowledge, but certainly am not a Nurse. My cap is off to all of you LPN's and RN's out there. It is a tough, demanding profession.

My 24 months with you taught me that.

Smile

An EMT is not usually a Nurse, but both should be able to deal with the situation in the OP....

I get my medical training via osmosis .... Dad was a dentist. My little sister married an MD. My other sister is a Pediatric Oncologist and Hematologist. My two nephews are MD's. And the mud monster is an RN....

Whole lot of "don't get involved" lurking in NY....

Becka (the "mud monster") worked as a Charge Nurse in a Pediatric ER for about a year. She's looking for a new job right now. (I think her former employers are still celebrating....)

I'm a semi-retired rent-a-cop, among other things, and have always had some kind of scanner going in the car, or at home, or more or less anywhere that nobody told me to shut it off. The kid found herself working the radio where the ambulances called in. After several minutes of radio chatter, one of the other nurses asked her how she made any sense out of it. "My dad's some kind of cop. I've been listening to these things since I was born...."

Or, some months ago, she caught a flight home (DFW to PIT), and ended up with a couple of very active little kids beside her in the plane. As they were getting ready to get off, the parents apologized for all the mayhem. Becka said: "I'm a nurse in a pediatric ER. You'd be surprised what I can ignore."

But she doesn't ignore.... After she graduated from nursing school, she moved in with her grandmother (my wife and I did too, a little later), and helped take care of her for some months. When mom decided to Winter in El Paso (and never bothered to come back), Becka moved there, too, and got a job in a hospital ER. She worked mids, and helped out with mom during the day....

Actually, "ignore" is the wrong word. It's "how many distractions I can deal with."

The real risk - if you don't have a "good samaritan" law in place - is when you either make a mistake, or things go sour. Being "off duty" may trash any legal protection you have. I don't know the situation where the original post occurred.

(We really need to fix that in some places.)

Regards,
    Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

יזכר לא עד פעם

Zipper, EMT and Nurse are not interchangeable.
    Got it.
    I submit myself to the appropriate punishment.

Twenty lashes with a wet noodle it is!

Zip

SMMA,

(The following may not be the same state to state, I speak as a Tennessean). Good Samaritan (GS) laws do not apply if you are on duty. Also, if you are a trained licensed professional, we are supposed to know what we can and cannot reasonably do in a bad situation, and gross negligence CAN put us at civil liability. A side note, some people think we are legally obligated to help, this is incorrect. Morally, we are obligated to help those in distress (this is any person, not just health professionals), but there is no legal demand that we provide emergency services, when off duty. I do agree that GS laws need some improvement, but they aren't too bad around here.

A good read for Tennessee law: http://www.tntlaw.net/articles?id=61937

Good Samaritan laws by state: http://www.heartsafeam.com/pages/faq_good_samaritan

Zipper, I am a bit too lazy to lash anyone with a wet noodle. How about we all just have a good time shooting this weekend?

+ Reply to Thread