Thread: Why isn't this news? Arkansas adopts constitutional carry

Why isn't this news? Arkansas adopts constitutional carry

While doing a search in the news online for what's going on in the Illinois right to bear arms fight I saw a few articles referring to Arkansas. With curiosity I clicked on some of the links. This is one of the links I found:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...rles-c-w-cooke

In July, 2013, Arkansas will become the fifth state in the United States to enact “Constitutional Carry” into law.
    As someone that keeps up on the news every day, especially news that affects my rights, I was astounded to hear about this law for the first time three weeks after it went into effect and three months after it was signed by the governor.

Why hasn't this made the news more widely? I'd expect at a minimum to hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the "blood will flow in the streets" crowd on how terrible this is. I saw nothing about this on the NRA-ILA website. I don't recall hearing about this on the radio talk shows.

Was this news weeks ago and I missed it?
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

Wooohoo! Another constitutional carry state!
    Brandon

Take a kid shooting. They are the future.

You need to read the law - it's not quite so clear cut.

Kind of a Constitutional Carry Lite.
    The only common sense gun regulations were written about 227 years ago.

Ban gangs, not guns!

"Why hasn't this made the news more widely? I'd expect at a minimum to hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the "blood will flow in the streets" crowd on how terrible this is. I saw nothing about this on the NRA-ILA website. I don't recall hearing about this on the radio talk shows."

Maybe they were downplaying it because they didn't want to deal with potential "demonstrations" 'n stuff like that there from "scaredy-cats" 'n people like that there.

You may have answered your own question.

Just a thought.

The NRA-ILA may be assembling a whole article on it for their publications and are perhaps reviewing it for that purpose. It sounds from a previous post above ("CC Lite") that it's not quite "Constitutional Carry."

Just another thought.

But congrats on making the Constitutional Carry headway, Arkansas !

Terry
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)

Since the Clintons moved out...anything is possible
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Rogers View Post
    Since the Clintons moved out...anything is possible
    Joe
    Another straight line. *sigh*

Perhaps if we move all the libs to California and New York the rest of the country would be worth living in. But what would we do with Illinois, make it a national park or pass a modern day homestead act?

Quote Originally Posted by Selena View Post
    Another straight line. *sigh*

Perhaps if we move all the libs to California and New York the rest of the country would be worth living in. But what would we do with Illinois, make it a national park or pass a modern day homestead act?
    Now wait one cotton pickin' minute!
    I resemble that remark!

At least we're moving in the right direction!
    Life Member of both NRA and North American Hunting Club
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    You need to read the law - it's not quite so clear cut.

Kind of a Constitutional Carry Lite.
    It seems to me that the law generally forbids carrying of weapons but gives exceptions under certain conditions. It does not remove the prohibitions on carry but creates an affirmative defense for those caught in violation.

Muddying the waters more is that I've read some articles that gave the opinion from the attorney general that this act does not allow for unlicensed concealed carry, and an opinion from a state representative that it does. I also read that this law, or maybe its a different law, allows for unlicensed carry of firearms on August 15th.

It's even been difficult to find the text of the law and not just someone's interpretation of it. I think this is how the law now reads:
    A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon if he or she possesses a handgun, knife, or club on or about his or her person, in a vehicle occupied by him or her, or otherwise readily available for use with a purpose to attempt to unlawfully employ the handgun, knife, or club as a weapon against a person.
    It would seem that one "side" interprets this as an affirmative defense, you have to prove you were carrying with lawful intent. The other "side" seems to see this as all carry of weapons is lawful unless the state can prove the accused was intent on breaking some other law.

It sure would be nice if more light was shed upon this.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

Administrator    
    Moving parts. Not only the constitutional provision (or is it a statutory provision?), but also the existing 'prohibitions' in AR law against possession or carry of weapons, or against concealed carry, and even the interaction with related criminal prohibitions (e.g., anything from assault to loitering with weapons).

The 'evaluation' of intent is, in the first instance, evaluated by an officer 'arriving to a scene' or by simple observation.

Just the point that from IA farmboy's quote, it doesn't appear to be an affirmative right.

Congrats, in any event, assuming the default position was that carrying a firearm without 'exemptive license', of itself, was criminal.

(It'd be good to see quote of the text, confirmed.)

Muddying the waters more is that I've read some articles that gave the opinion from the attorney general that this act does not allow for unlicensed concealed carry, and an opinion from a state representative that it does. I also read that this law, or maybe its a different law, allows for unlicensed carry of firearms on August 15th.
    And the ordinary mortal is supposed to.... say, what is the ordinary mortal supposed to do?

Maybe that explains why "this isn't news" and the NRA/ILA held back on commenting on it.

Normally, at least in Colorado, the "intent of the legislature" is interpreted by the Attorney General, but in this case a Legislator himself disagrees with the AG.

Well, the old adage holds.... make enough laws and sooner or later everybody is a lawbreaker.

<cracker barrel ramble>

Reminds me of the time about ten years ago I pontificated as to the fact that there were so many laws that a person couldn't drive two miles, park the car, walk around the block, get back in their car and drive two more miles without breaking at least five laws.

"Aw, that's BS," my buddy told me.

"OK, let's try it. I'll ride along with you and keep count of the laws you break. Wanna bet ten bucks on it?"

"You're on," he said. "Let's go."

I looked at him and said, "That's number one."

"Huh? Waddaya mean?"

I said, "Gambling is against the law in Colorado."

Boy, was he pissed. But in a good way.

End of experiment. We compromised on the wager and he surrendered five bucks to me.

True story.

</cracker barrel ramble>

Terry, 230RN
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)

Administrator   
    Easy, because for whatever reason it doesn't further the agenda of the people that decide what's news and what isn't . There's a lot of organizations and money trying very hard to sway public opinion back to the pro gun control side.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum