Thread: Shotgun News Top 25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods in the US

Shotgun News Top 25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods in the US

I cant believe this! A Tulsa, OK neighborhood made the list at #24 above a Chi, IL neighborhood if you will believe that.

Right here in Peoria, we have spots where I wouldn’t get out of the car without a cocked and locked 1911 in my hand (and I’d prefer an AR-15). But there are places less than five miles away where people don’t lock their doors at night. The differences between the two localities are much, much, deeper than gun laws, a fact everyone needs to remember.

Read more: http://www.shotgunnews.com/2013/08/0...#ixzz2bs6l0tbg
    http://www.shotgunnews.com/2013/08/0...hfXz4.facebook

It's worth a look and reading of the article.

Here is a different link that doesn't have anything to do with FB:
    http://www.shotgunnews.com/2013/08/0...neighborhoods/
    Brandon

Take a kid shooting. They are the future.

Detroit has 4 of the top 10. No big surprise. But New Orleans which cranks out 57 murders to Motown's 48 per 100,000 population, does not show a hit.

Something is wrong there,obviously.Shotgun News should go back over their stats. They are flawed.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

I wonder if the violence in N.O. or D.C. which didn't make the list either is so widespread that it couldn't be contained to a certain area of the city. I know the neighborhood listed for Tulsa is violent, but I know another one where more murders happen annually and they didn't list it. The facts could be skewed though JD.
    Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by bruno2 View Post
    I wonder if the violence in N.O. or D.C. which didn't make the list either is so widespread that it couldn't be contained to a certain area of the city. I know the neighborhood listed for Tulsa is violent, but I know another one where more murders happen annually and they didn't list it. The facts could be skewed though JD.
    Nawlins has half the population of Detroit. Think they have to have at.least 1 area in the top 20..

What I would really like to see is a map color coded to drug arrests, homicides and alcohol sales.

The rating stats are from real estate website NeighborhoodScout.com who evaluate neighborhoods by level of dangerousness. The crime data is based on the uniform crime reports that 17,000 local law enforcement agencies send to the FBI. Neighborhood is defined by the "census tract" which can be 1,500 to 8,000 people averaging 4,000. They explain it here:
    http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/pop...neighborhoods/
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

I recall a couple conversations years ago with a sheriff and a police chief that said -- don't put too much faith in the exact accuracy of those numbers, it depends what we choose to report.

I have been in several of those Detroit and Chicago areas not too many years back, and indeed they are bad. But there are areas in NOLA, Cleveland, Toledo that I would be just as cautious of.

And then there's Flint, of which a friend from there once said, "Where hope goes to die". Not to mention some of the choicer areas of NYC, Philly, and LA.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

Quote Originally Posted by pmeisel View Post
    I recall a couple conversations years ago with a sheriff and a police chief that said -- don't put too much faith in the exact accuracy of those numbers, it depends what we choose to report.

I have been in several of those Detroit and Chicago areas not too many years back, and indeed they are bad. But there are areas in NOLA, Cleveland, Toledo that I would be just as cautious of.

And then there's Flint, of which a friend from there once said, "Where hope goes to die". Not to mention some of the choicer areas of NYC, Philly, and LA.
    It's not just the mega-cities. I can point you to places in Lafayette (IN) where sane people do not go if they have a choice. And just a few miles from here is a tiny burg with two stores and a church that in my Dad's day the sheriff's department wouldn't go with less than 8 people. Thankfully the residents there have been reconstructed enough it's part of the county again.

Points for recognizing the gratuitous war of rebellion reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Selena View Post
    It's not just the mega-cities. I can point you to places in Lafayette (IN) where sane people do not go if they have a choice. And just a few miles from here is a tiny burg with two stores and a church that in my Dad's day the sheriff's department wouldn't go with less than 8 people. Thankfully the residents there have been reconstructed enough it's part of the county again.

[SIZE=1]Points for recognizing the gratuitous war of rebellion reference.[/SIZE]
    We got to about 10 yards at Gettysburg. We'll get that First Down the next,Alabama!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar View Post
    We got to about 10 yards at Gettysburg. We'll get that First Down the next,Alabama!
    Whoo Hooooo!!!!!! After all this time I've FINALLY gotten an obscure historical reference past Johnny Dollar!!! Time to walk away humming WWII tunes and never looking back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Selena View Post
    Whoo Hooooo!!!!!! After all this time I've FINALLY gotten an obscure historical reference past Johnny Dollar!!! Time to walk away humming WWII tunes and never looking back!!!
    If that is a loss, I will take it with total consideration!

We will look forward, toward the total annihilation of Progressive and Stalinist thought, this time!

Maybe a top 100 most dangerous hoods would make the stats look better for the cities that deserve it?
    Brandon

At neighborhood level, there are many hundreds, even thousands, of dangerous hoods. Lots of places you shouldn't go unless you happen to be part of that local fabric.

It's really hard to compare them statistically -- there are so many worthy candidates that none really stand out.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

There are incentives to underreport crime, and conversely occassionally overreporting crimes might get some funds for a PD strapped for cash. The only stat hard to diddle with is homicide.

Quick search on Village Voice NYPD crime statistics turned up:

http://www.villagevoice.com/2012-03-...onfirmed/full/
    Graham Rayman, "The NYPD Tapes Confirmed", The Village Voice, 7 May 2012.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nypd...icle-1.1035037
    Rocco Parascandola, "NYPD report supports claims by Adrian Schoolcraft, cop whistleblower", NY Daily News, 7 Mar 2012.

An NYPD report supports the claims made by Officer Adrian Schoolcraft, the Brooklyn cop who accused the NYPD of throwing him into a mental hospital because he complained supervisors were cooking the books to make the crime rate seem lower.
    “Obviously, the greater question is whether you have one mismanaged precinct or do you have an issue reflective of a wider problem, a systemic problem,” said John Jay College Professor Eli Silverman, the co-author “The Crime Numbers Game: Management by Manipulation.”

It is a wonder that NYPD precincts weren't ordered to underreport crime while the 16+oz soda ban was in effect.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

Here is a list of the top 100 most dangerous cities in the US:http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nei...p100dangerous/
    Brandon

The Chicago area (69th and Indiana Ave.) was my old neighborhood in the '60s.

Yep, I can believe it's dangerous. The last time I was there (about seven years ago), it looked like Sadr City.

Of course you won't be able to carry there still for a while.

Truth be told, I can't think of a reason to be ANYWHERE in Chicago, other than taking my relatives home on Christmas night. Of course my current nightmarish job doesn't offer paid vacation, so I haven't been back in two years.
    "When I was young, I looked like Al Capone but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant.