View Poll Results: What Is the Greatest TV Comedy Show of the 20th Century? (1947-2000)

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Love Lucy

2 18.18%
  • Sid Caesar

0 0%
  • Milton Berle

0 0%
  • Seinfeld

0 0%
  • Mary Tyler Moore

1 9.09%
  • Mash

2 18.18%
  • Bob Newhart

0 0%
  • Get Smart

0 0%
  • Phil Silvers

0 0%
  • All In the Family

1 9.09%
  • The Honeymooners

0 0%
  • The Simpsons

0 0%
  • Dick Van Dyke

0 0%
  • Cheers

0 0%
  • Andy Griffith Show

1 9.09%
  • Hogans Heroes

0 0%
  • Friends

0 0%
  • My Mother,the Car

0 0%
  • Maverick

0 0%
  • Other

4 36.36%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Is the Greatest TV Comedy Show of the 20th Century? (1947-2000)

What Is the Greatest TV Comedy Show of the 20th Century? (1947-2000)

Lots of great choices here. From variety shows to slapstick to satire to shows about nothing.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

Andy Griffith was timelessly funny!!

The main characters (Andy and Barney) were always funny, but the others that weren't cast in every episode really made the show what it was. Floyd the Barber, Ernest T Bass, Gomer , and especially Otis the drunk. Who would have ever written a scene where the town drunk comes riding into the jailhouse on a cow besides these classic writers?

Smothers Brothers was funny!

Seinfeld pretty good , but liberal Yankee stuff

Newsradio was a funny show.
    Phil Hartman (RIP) was a funny person hands down. This cast was funny!
    Brandon

Take a kid shooting. They are the future.

Most every one listed is Great, in its own way. Really hard to choose one.

I went with M*A*S*H - it was comedy, and drama, showing us the high points people could reach even in the worst of situations. It pointed out foibles at both the personal and institutional level. Hey - any comedy that can run four times as long as the war it parodies has to be a hit.
    The only common sense gun regulations were written about 227 years ago.

Ban gangs, not guns!

I voted for The Mary Tyler Moore Show. It had great writing every week and great staying power, lasting 8 seasons,1970 to 1977.

It could of gone on for 2 or 3 more years but some of the cast was getting antsy. It had a great crew each Saturday with Mary,Mr.Grant,Murray,Ted Baxter,Rhoda and even Bozo the Clown chipped in! The actors had terrific chemistry. They seemed to really like each other.

And the Minneapolis setting made it special and different.We'd had enough of NYC and LA! Sometimes,even after 36 years, I find myself humming that great opening theme song,Love is All Around, as Mary throws up her hat at the end. Those were good days!

No Carol Burnett Show?!?!?!?

Saturday Night Live
    -"Who's that jerk who calls himself GoWolfpack?"

-"I'm that Jerk!"

Quote Originally Posted by running_wolf View Post
    No Carol Burnett Show?!?!?!?

Nope. Beat out by My Mother,the Car..Sorry..

The original SNL!!
    Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar View Post
    Nope. Beat out by My Mother,the Car..Sorry..
    I have never even heard of this. Was this like a British comedy on PBS?
    Brandon

Another vote for Carol Burnett

But Red Skelton would be in the running.

Quote Originally Posted by bruno2 View Post
    I have never even heard of this. Was this like a British comedy on PBS?
    No.Brandon,My.Mother was.thrown in as a joke. It.was.a.terrible.show.But.it is hard.to.believe anyone.would.rate Carol Burnett over.I Love Lucy,Sienfeld or 6 or 7.other shows.on this list..Same.goes.for.SNL.

But thats horseracing. In 2000._Seinfeld.and Lucy finished #1 and 2 on the vote for best comedy. Carol.did not finish. Well she.finished way down a muddy track.

JD, a lot of that is age and demographic driven. Even in her heyday Carol mostly appealed to folks now long dead. But she was a classic talent.

There are a lot of young folks now who think SNL is the beginning and end of comedy. My kids barely know who Seinfeld is/was, etc. (I've never liked Seinfeld myself, never watched a full episode...)

I loved Phil Silvers but most who can relate to his show are no longer with us, the show went off the air before I started wearing long pants.....
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

Quote Originally Posted by pmeisel View Post
    There are a lot of young folks now who think SNL is the beginning and end of comedy. My kids barely know who Seinfeld is/was, etc. (I've never liked Seinfeld myself, never watched a full episode...)

Paul, I don't want to be rude or anything, but SNL has been on the air for almost 40 years. It's not just young people who like it.
    -"Who's that jerk who calls himself GoWolfpack?"

-"I'm that Jerk!"

I don't know who could deny the talent from the early days of SNL. Guys like Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, Dan Akroyd, Steve Martin,John Belushi, Eddie Murphy, Garret Morris and even the female cast Gilda Radner, Jane Curtin, Laraine Newman all went on to have prominent acting careers on the big screen. Some are still acting in movies to this day.Most of the original cast wrote the material for the show as well.

What is the cast of Seinfeld doing now days???
    Brandon

I had to go with M*A*S*H as well... Granted a lot of those shows were before my time (waaaaaaaay before) but I will always have fond memories of sitting with my dad on the couch watching M*A*S*H with him. Watching the series finale was a family event and to this day I always end up watching reruns when I come across them.

one of these days I'll manage to buy this http://www.amazon.com/Martinis-Medic.../dp/B000HT3P5Q
    for myself and my father.

I didn't.think.out this poll.very well. My bad. What I.wanted.was.the.choice of.the.best situation comedy (sitcom). So Sid Caesar.and Milton Berle should not have on the list.or Carol or Red or the.Smothers Brothers or George Gobel or.SNL,etc. We cannot call them sitcoms.

Frasier should have been there,.Gilligans Island My Favorite Martian and a few others and then some more others ..So.all that is my fault. Bad planning,not enough.research.

In the."variety" type show,SNL, Carol ,the.Smothers, Sid , Red,George and.Milton, and Rowan'and Martin's Laugh In ,would rank high.

The next effort will be done better. I got sloppy here.Bad mojo.

Agreed, it was sort of all over the place. I tried to look up lists on google and that wasn't working out right either. SO yes maybe another poll or even two more polls to get the genre's correct. You cant win em all
    Brandon

Agreed, it was sort of all over the place. I tried to look up lists on google and that wasn't working out right either. SO yes maybe another poll or even two more polls to get the genre's correct. You cant win em all
    Thank you,understanding Sir! In due course (or process) we will have a do over!

I had to vote "other"....

"The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson" has to be the best of all time in my book. Johnny was not only funny, but he had class and style that few entertainers today even try to be. it is impossible to say just how much I enjoyed Johnny Carson's show.

Surely, we have all seen this one!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L5QC9ZJkM8

And for pure funny:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NqEKvk9F4I

Zip
    "Few of the great tragedies of history were created by the village idiot, and many by the village genius." Thomas Sowell
    "Sometimes absurdity is worth it for its own sake." Andrew Breitbart
    "Reality is not optional." Thomas Sowell

Ed McMahon added the straight side of the comedy well. Although he wasn't the funny guy his presence did a lot for the comedy.
    Brandon

SNL has been on the air for almost 40 years. It's not just young people who like it.
    Not disagreeing, but much of the other stuff listed is from the 50s, 60s, and 70s....

I was still young (early 20s) when I started watching SNL, and whatever else I am now, young is not a viable description.

I really liked Carol Burnett, but most of her avid followers in her 60's hey-day were already in their 50s then.

JD, thanks for bringing up Rowan and Martin. At school, the main morning conversation topic once a week was the prior evening's "Laugh-In" episode. (the other show that got that respect was "Star Trek".)
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

Quote Originally Posted by pmeisel View Post
    Not disagreeing, but much of the other stuff listed is from the 50s, 60s, and 70s....

I was still young (early 20s) when I started watching SNL, and whatever else I am now, young is not a viable description.

I really liked Carol Burnett, but most of her avid followers in her 60's hey-day were already in their 50s then.

JD, thanks for bringing up Rowan and Martin. At school, the main morning conversation topic once a week was the prior evening's "Laugh-In" episode. (the other show that got that respect was "Star Trek".)
    Wasn't Goldie Hahn on that show Laugh In fairly regular?
    Brandon

Wasn't Goldie Hahn on that show Laugh In fairly regular?
    Yes. Goldie was a regular cast member on the show from 1968 to 1973.
    She has a lot of talent. In 1969 she won the Best Supporting Actress Award for her role in Cactus Flower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldie_Hawn

Through her father, Hawn is a direct descendant of Edward Rutledge, the youngest signatory of the Declaration of Independence.[1]

Hawn was raised in Takoma Park, Maryland, a suburb of Washington, D.C., and attended Montgomery Blair High School in nearby Silver Spring, Maryland. Her father was Presbyterian and her mother was Jewish,[2] the daughter of immigrants from Hungary;[3] Hawn had a Jewish upbringing.[1][4][5][2]

Goldie was one of the bright lights on that show. And she did a lot of good work over a fairly long career!

Zip, I still marvel at Carson when I catch some of his stuff on YouTube. He was a comedy genius, and although at times I enjoy some of the late night successors, he was clearly the best of that milieu. (Although my mom thinks Jack Paar was better, but that's my mom....)

I like Jimmy Fallon the best out of today's crop.
    Paul

+ Reply to Thread