Thread: Rasmussen poll: shrinking support for gun control

Rasmussen poll: shrinking support for gun control

Poll shows growing opposition to gun control; Issa op-ed rips ATF

A new Rasmussen Reports poll released Monday shows waning public support for new gun control measures, with only 40 percent of likely voters backing such ideas while 53 percent – the highest level in more than two years – do not favor additional gun laws.

http://www.examiner.com/article/poll...op-ed-rips-atf

Early in the two-hour session, State Sen. Jeannie Darneille (D-27th District) candidly revealed, “I am not a person who handles guns. I don’t own guns. I don’t…they shock me, quite frankly. We’re an open carry state and when I see people open carrying their guns, while it may be perfectly legal, it creates a visceral, personal, physical reaction in me as it does in other people…”

Sen. Darneille’s remarks clarified what gun rights activists are actually up against; an emotion toward firearms in some people that approaches revulsion. In the current debate over gun rights, it was a remarkable from-the-heart admission that underscores the cultural divide at the center of the “dueling initiatives” campaign.
    And there you have it. Relating this to the poll, maybe more fence-sitters are realizing this and re-evaluating their own positions on gun control on a more rational basis instead of merely listening to the loudest hand-wringing screamers.

Perhaps Ms. Darneille’s remarks ought to be widely publicized by the RKBA fraternity to demonstrate that raw emotions ought not to influence the making of laws.

Great article, Mr. Workman!

Oh. See my sig line.

Terry, 230RN
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)

...when I see people open carrying their guns, while it may be perfectly legal, it creates a visceral, personal, physical reaction in me as it does in other people...
    How does that translate to the idea that the laws proposed based on this gut (visceral) reaction actually impact harmful or criminal behaviors.

Or see it for what it is. Make some substitutions: when I see
    * people open carrying their guns,
    * people drinking beer or wine in a restaurant,
    * same-sex couples walking hand in hand,
    * mixed race couples shopping with blended children in tow,
    while it may be perfectly legal, it creates a visceral, personal, physical reaction in me as it does in other people.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

^ Civil rights be damned. I like what I like, and don't like what I don't like and if I'm elected, I'll make you like what I like, and not like what I don't like.

I don't like quilting bees, and I'll do my darndest to outlaw them.
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)

Administrator   
    His comments are a good reminder that people do not consider fact, they consider emotion. It's the same reason people tend to lose money in the stock market, they let emotion overcommon facts and reason and sell at precisely the wrong time.

It's also why the best time to pass more gun control is immediately after a shocking gun related event.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

I'll have to bring this up next time I get into a discussion about gun control. Seems to me that there is a high correlation between people that believe gun control reduces crime and people that believe we live in a democracy. (We don't live in a democracy, we live in a republic, I believe that there is a very important distinction between the two.)

So, if someone tells me we need to control guns then I will ask if they believe we live in a democracy. If they say we do then I will point out that gun control is a minority position. If we live in a democracy then gun control loses because it is an unpopular position. If we live in a republic then we cannot have gun control because a majority cannot vote away the rights of a minority.

Off course that line of logic I laid out only works so long as gun control is in the minority position. If gun control becomes popular again I'll have to make a different argument.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadoWalker View Post
    His comments are a good reminder that people do not consider fact, they consider emotion. It's the same reason people tend to lose money in the stock market, they let emotion overcommon facts and reason and sell at precisely the wrong time.

It's also why the best time to pass more gun control is immediately after a shocking gun related event.
    I think the last national vote said different. However, a lot of the liberal Northeastern states were successful in passing them.
    Brandon

Take a kid shooting. They are the future.