Thread: WA gun rights battle: 'The fight's commenced...

WA gun rights battle: 'The fight's commenced...

"THE FIGHT'S COMMENCED. GET TO FIGHTING, OR GET AWAY." — Wyatt Earp to Ike Clanton at OK Corral, Oct. 26, 1881...according to various accounts.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Independence Day weekend sparks new energy in dueling initiatives fight

There were lots of fireworks last night as America celebrated its freedom, and in Washington State — the new ground zero in a political fight that is shaping up as a moral battle to protect that freedom — gun rights activists opposing Initiative 594 may have just gotten a boost from an unlikely source: The guy largely bankrolling the effort, discussed today in the Seattle Times.

http://www.examiner.com/article/inde...tiatives-fight

Replying to my own thread, here's something new for your attention on the dueling initiatives.

Washington’s ‘dueling initiatives’ story goes national

Today’s Washington Post blog takes a hard look at Washington State’s dueling initiatives, and the story includes a contradiction that perhaps only Northwest gun rights activists might spot.

http://www.examiner.com/article/wash...-goes-national

POGR
    12500 N.E. Tenth Place
    Bellevue, WA 98005
    Attn: Phil Watson

http://wagunrights.org

Your report on the outcome of this "bait & switch" by Bloomnut's loonies will be interesting!

When is the vote to be held?
    Life Member of both NRA and North American Hunting Club
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

In 1997 gun control advocates in Washington State got enough signatures on a petition for a Initiative 676 requiring firaerms licenses and all handguns to be sold with a trigger lock. Voters rejected I-676 by a 29% v 71% margin.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

But the question is Carl, how did the vote for I-594 fare and when is/was the vote to be held?
    Life Member of both NRA and North American Hunting Club
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

Washington State gun rights initiative I-591 was filed 23 May 2013 so it has been discussed, along with I-594, for so long that is a question, especially to some like me who have just been following the debate off-and-on.

Looks like it's on the ballot 4 Nov 2014. I would like to see a pro-gun rights vote as clear as the vote on I-676 was.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl N. Brown View Post
    Washington State gun rights initiative I-591 was filed 23 May 2013 so it has been discussed, along with I-594, for so long that is a question, especially to some like me who have just been following the debate off-and-on.

Looks like it's on the ballot 4 Nov 2014. I would like to see a pro-gun rights vote as clear as the vote on I-676 was.
    So would every gun rights activist in Washington state. But they're up against a juggernaut with enormous amounts of money.

It's like being in the Alamo, and knowing help isn't coming.