Thread: Military Family

Military Family

I came from a military family. From my father, uncles down to my husband they're all member of the Navy. So having guns inside our house is a common sight especially to my kids. Who among you came from military family? Let's get to know each other Hooyah!

First welcome to the forum. I'm retired Army, my father retired USAF, mother USAF for a few years, my oldest son has over 12 yrs in the Army and FIL retired Army. Lots of cousins, uncles, great uncles have served. Going further back full family history of military service in Poland for over 1000 yrs.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08, 09,15 & 16'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11',14',17' & 18'

Between me and the wife, none of our parents served. Her grandpa was drafted into the Vietnam War, my step-mom's dad was in WWII, one of my grandparents was also in WWII.

I met the wife while stationed in WA.

I'm retired AF, dad did a full career in the AF (I only had about 2 years not connected to AF till after I retired). Dad's dad served in WWI.

Never any guns in our house, I'm late to the game. But enjoying it now.
    The only common sense gun regulations were written about 227 years ago.

Ban gangs, not guns!

Smile

Sharlene:

Dad was a Medic all through WWII as well as a machine gunner at CCC camp before the war.

He also was called back in during Korea as a Dentist.

Never got out of the CONUS though. I'm not sure what happened (other than him getting sick) during WWII. Same sort of thing happened as he was about ship out to Korea but this time they'd decided that his being drafted was a bit of an error and let him stick around as an instructor of some sort.

My thanks to all who did serve.

He didn't like guns though - when I told him that I wanted to get one he strongly suggested that I get a badge first. I did - rent-a-cop....

(I had an uncle who was a pistol instructor during WWII. He hated 'em too....)

Regards
    Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

יזכר לא עד פעם

Welcome to GRM, Sharleen.

Both my much older brothers served in the US Marines. The oldest from 1940 to 1946. He was 17 at enlistment. In August, 1942 ,he was shot up on Guadalcanal, developed elephantiasis and was evacuated back to San Diego.

After recovering, he was sent to Princeton University,NJ as a DI. Amazingly, only 50 miles from our house in Ridgewood.
    He was never returned to the Pacific because of the jungle disease.

The next oldest was in the Corps from 1946 to 1952. He was 15 at enlistment! Lied about his age, but when discovered the Corps let him stay in! He served in Korea from 1950-1952 and fortunately came through unscathed.

I served in the US Army for 8 years in Armor. I also had a Medic MOS. I have no war stories to tell.

All 3 of my brother in laws were combat veterans. Two in Patton's 3rd Army in France and Germany. Both were seriously wounded, but survived and recovered in England.

The 3rd was in the US Navy in the South Pacific. He was wounded in a kami kazi attack at Okinawa in 1945 and that finished his war.

Many of my 1st cousins have served in all 4 branches. We don't have a long military history, but it has been eventful.

As to guns, we've all owned them and many of us became hunters as well. Several went into bows for sport shooting and hunting.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

Moderators! Can this thread be switched to GGD? There have to be many more military families and their stories on GRM.

That switch should give Sharleen's OP much more exposure and many more replies, IMO.

ETA. Mods, thank you for the switch!
    Last edited by Johnny Dollar; July 31st, 2014 at 10:03 PM.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

My dad had an unusual military career -- enlisted in the Michigan Air National Guard in 1935, federalized to USAAC in 1939 as a sergeant, promoted to MSGT in 1943. Saw duty in Atlantic anti sub patrol, then transferred to a new squadron being put together for the Pacific . Saw more duty in the Phillipines and the occupation of Japan.

Stayed in the USAAF and then the USAF through the Korean War, including duty there. Left USAF and went back to the Michigan Air National Guard in 1953 or 1954, serving in units there until 1962.

May he rest in peace. He was an inspiration.

My own military career was a brief stint in the USMCR in the 1970s. Nothing remarkable at all, just training time really.

My son is a SSGT in the USAF, serving in the Phoenix-Raven program out of Andrews. He's done well and is a constant source of pride. He'd like to leave the military after this enlistment, because he'd really like to work in diplomatic security. We'll see I guess.

Thanks for starting this thread. I like to hear from others about things that make them proud.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

Me and my oldest in Baghdad 04'. He's in Germany right now and I'll be back supporting our troops in Afghanistan next month.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08, 09,15 & 16'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11',14',17' & 18'

Grandfather was Air National Guard During Korea, he was telephone lineman, never deployed but was sent to different hq's all over the country to install new switch boxes.

Two great-uncles were Navy, one a Sea-Bee. The other an electronic/electric repairman in a fleet repair division. He never went to boot camp as he was a Westinghouse technician.

Mom, dad and uncle were all USAF. Dad was crew chief for C-130's, mom was procurement, uncle was Security Police.

Step dad was was pharmacy tech in the Army.

I'm medically retired from the Navy, I was a GM.

Little brother is a Staff Sergeant in the Marines, F-18 airframer, now on recruiting duty.

I have nephew that just graduated nuclear power school and is going to submarine school as Nuc. ET.
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

Forgot to mention in post #3, the only gun experience I had growing up was I recall shooting a 22LR rifle once, out in the woods with my dad and some buddies. The first rifle I ever learned was a M16A2. The first pistol I ever handled or shot was a M9.

I believe the first pistol my wife ever shot was the Beretta 92FS we own, and her first rifle was the M4orgery in 22LR we own.

The first rifle range I ever went to outside of the military was 5 years ago; I joined a private range that only costs $96 a year shortly after buying our first guns. I had no idea what on earth the benches on the firing line were for ...
    Everyday is bike to work day.