+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Picture Puzzle

A Picture Puzzle

3 famous people sitting at a restaurant table in 1952.
    Who are they? Extra credit for the restaurant's location.

"A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

Ava Gardner (about whom I remembered was from Smithfield, NC before I remembered her name).

Frank Sinatra, whose song "My Way" was the theme song at my father-in-law's recent funeral in Japan.

Some other guy who looks vaguely familiar, but whose name I might not even recognize.
    “It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.”
    — Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by cambeul41 View Post
    Ava Gardner (about whom I remembered was from Smithfield, NC before I remembered her name).

Frank Sinatra, whose song "My Way" was the theme song at my father-in-law's recent funeral in Japan.

Some other guy who looks vaguely familiar, but whose name I might not even recognize.
    Very good, Cambeul. Ava was from Smithfield, NC and Frank certainly did things his way. The gentleman next to Frank has a name you will remember well.

I'll give out a hint. One of the greatest all around athletes in American sports history, he won state titles in both basketball and football, and went on to national glory as a professional.

Something tells me the guy to the right of Sinatra in the picture is Ronald Reagan.

Yes? No?

Woody
    http://oklahomafirearmservices.com/
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

My first impression was that was Jimmy Hoffa on Sinatra's left. But he weren't no at-u-leet.

A slightly heavier Di Maggio? Don't think I've ever seen a profile of Di Maggio with his mouth open, so...
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)

I give up. I have never followed team sports, and the only reason I know even any current names is if they have gotten into the news doing something they should not have done or done something someone thinks they should not have done.

I would have loved for it to have been Jim Thorpe, but this guy looks too young and perhaps not rugged enough.
    “It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.”
    — Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by ConstitutionCowboy View Post
    Something tells me the guy to the right of Sinatra in the picture is Ronald Reagan.

Yes? No?

Woody
    No. Reagan, although a fine athlete, never played sports professionally.

Quote Originally Posted by 230RN View Post
    My first impression was that was Jimmy Hoffa on Sinatra's left. But he weren't no at-u-leet.

A slightly heavier Di Maggio? Don't think I've ever seen a profile of Di Maggio with his mouth open, so...
    It is not Joe. The man pictured won 7 titles in his pro sport in 10 seasons! BTW, Joe appeared in 10 World Series for the NY Yankees and won 9 times. Joltin' Joe was the man.

Quote Originally Posted by cambeul41 View Post
    I give up. I have never followed team sports, and the only reason I know even any current names is if they have gotten into the news doing something they should not have done or done something someone thinks they should not have done.

I would have loved for it to have been Jim Thorpe, but this guy looks too young and perhaps not rugged enough.
    Jim Thorpe, certainly one of the top 5 American athletes of the 20th Century, lived from 1888 to 1953, dying at age 64.

The man next to Frank was 30 at the time the picture was taken in 1952. And he was rugged enough!

Ah, Jim Thorpe. Him being a native Oklahoman, could the restaurant be in Tulsa, or maybe the Skirvin Hotel in Oklahoma City?

Woody
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

Ah, Jim Thorpe. Him being a native Oklahoman, could the restaurant be in Tulsa, or maybe the Skirvin Hotel in Oklahoma City?

Woody
    Woody,please re-read post #9! The man next to Frank is not Jim Thorpe.

And the restaurant is in Los Angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar View Post
    Woody,please re-read post #9! The man next to Frank is not Jim Thorpe.

And the restaurant is in Los Angeles.
    Oops! Bad math is not usually a fault of mine, but it seems there is always an opportunity for it to present itself!

Woody

I have made much bigger errors,Woody. We'll give it 48 more hours.

If there is a winner, the prize will be a ticket to the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio. That is also a hint!

Click here for the answer. A remarkable life story that makes you proud to be an American.

Otto Graham,Jr.

Otto Everett Graham, Jr. set his first state record at birth in Waukegan, Illinois on December 6, 1921, weighing in at 14 lbs., 12 ozs. His music teacher parents mixed family values and the arts in raising four sons. Otto learned the piano, violin, and cornet before focusing on French horn. Bigger than most kids his age, Otto's versatility became apparent early when he became Illinois French horn and conference basketball scoring champion at age 16.

As a senior, he was a member of Waukegan's National Champion brass sextet while also being selected to the All-State Basketball and football squads. Otto scored 20 points in the Bulldogs stunning defeat of state champ Dundee High, ending a three-year 44 game Dundee win streak. Graduating early, Otto pared numerous offers to Northwestern or Dartmouth and eventually accepted a full basketball scholarship to the nearby Evanston campus.

That's one I'd have never got, let alone guessed!

Woody

That's one I'd have never got, let alone guessed!

Woody
    Yeah, I agree. Down to earth, All American boy Otto, hob nobbing with Americas glamor couple of that time, Frank and Ava.

When I saw that picture by accident last week, my first thought was, why was Otto in the Ambassador Hotel.restaurant with those two?

I suppose we will never know at this late point, 62 years later and all of the principals deceased.

Bobby Kennedy was assassinated just a few yards away ,16 years afterward, on June 5,1968, by Sirhan Sirhan.

An unforgettable image. Busboy Juan Romero placed a rosary in the dying mans hand. He was shaking hands with Kennedy at the moment RFK was shot.

I give up .There is no discourse here. Or anywhere.

But that's OK. It's just the internet.

^

I see what you did there.
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)

^You are very wise!

OK. Some one clue this dumb Okie in, please.

Woody

^
    Heh. Just some references to PMs Johnny Dollar and I exchanged a while ago. I should have PMed that remark to him anyhow. No big deal.

It is, after all, "just the internet."

No worries, mate.

Terry

Oh, very well then. I'm not loosing it...............yet... !

Woody

^ Far from it. You're still brilliant! If I need help, I hope you are the first responder!

^ I'm at your service. I'm not cheap, though!

Woody

+ Reply to Thread