Thread: Giffords back on Capitol Hill for gun control

Giffords back on Capitol Hill for gun control

Giffords back on Capitol Hill to push background check measure

Former Congresswoman Gabrielle “Gabby” Giffords and husband Mark Kelly, the former astronaut, were back on Capitol Hill yesterday to re-launch a gun control measure ostensibly aimed at closing “loopholes that now let criminals and dangerously mentally ill people buy guns,” according to The Hill.

http://www.examiner.com/article/giff...-check-measure

If it cannot be done by executive order then it wont get done.
    Brandon

Take a kid shooting. They are the future.

The only loophole that lets criminal buy guns is the one that lets them out of the big house.

The only common sense gun regulations were written about 227 years ago.

Ban gangs, not guns!

I've come to believe that a call for a universal background check system to take possession of a firearm is evidence that the government either cannot or will not enforce current prohibitions on firearm possession. It is against the law for illegal aliens to possess firearms and yet they don't seem to have problems getting them.

I say we should not have a background check. If a court deems a person unfit to possess a firearm then we need to keep them from other dangerous items, like automobiles, pointy sticks, rope, razors, gasoline, and rocks.

The way to keep them away from such items comes to three choices that I can see, deportation, incarceration, and death. I don't want to get into a big debate on the pros and cons of the death penalty, I just want it clear that it is an option. Whether or not it's a good option is for another time and place.

If we are going to have a background check requirement then let's get one with some teeth. I want every background check failure to require an arrest. I hear these gun grabbers claim that every background check is one criminal that didn't get a firearm. How can they say that if the criminals walked out of a gun store without handcuffs on their wrists?

More background checks won't fix anything because these gun grabbers will not enforce the laws we got. Why won't they enforce the gun grabbing laws we have now? Because they know that they are unpopular. Enforcement means a greater probability of getting to court. Going to court means it can be challenged. If they are not challenged then they get to hold them over people and create fear in the public.

Given that the background check system we have now produces thousands of false denials every year we can be sure that any new background check system would be enforced just as poorly. If they did enforce the background check then everyone in the country would know someone falsely arrested over failing a background check, and nothing kills a bad law faster than rigorous enforcement.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

I think the best part about the Gabby story is that she is pushing for background checks because of her brush with death from a deranged shooter. However, her crazed attacker passed the background check and legally bought his gun. So her story has no merit as a testimony for UBC's.

All of the gun laws in place fall short of protecting anyone. Every violent felon starts as not a violent offender. Nobody comes out of the womb with a rap sheet. As much as the liberals would like to we cannot prosecute someone for something they might do.

Gun control is people control and not crime prevention. Prostitution has been illegal forever in the US yet it still exists.
    Brandon

Take a kid shooting. They are the future.

I'm being both repetitious and focused. At a recent NM Legislative Committee Hearing on a repeat Bill on more background checks at gun shows - I made my point partly with this comparison: If all these citizens (80-90) attending had to pay a private party a fee at the room entrance, to call the US Government to ask permission for said personally identifed party to enter and to voice their concerns, that amounts to a fee to exercise the First Amendment. Would anyone in this room allow that? There was more, but you see my point - we should never have to pay a private party (FFL) or a government agent, to exercise any Right. Until the Constitution "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" statement is re-instated, and observed by all branches of government, the unlawful attempts will continue thick and fast.

Giffords is a sad case, so similar to the Brady's and McCarthy's.

A switch seems to go off in their heads, blaming the tool instead of the criminal.

My sympathy.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973