+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What should you do when someone puts gun to your head?

What should you do when someone puts gun to your head?

Hey guys, I would like to know the best reaction when somebody puts his gun to your head. Should you stay calm, try to move away, try to reach his gun, instantly attack, or duck and run?

Well that all depends on the situation. Am I standing? Am I armed? Is the person within arms reach? Are there others around?

Here's a few scenarios I've run through my mind. If facing the person alone and the attacker is within arms reach I grab the hand with the gun and point it away from me and then promptly punch my attacker in the throat. I then keep punching until one of us goes limp.

If the person is out of arms reach, and I am able to run, then I run. Statistically speaking the chances of getting hit while running are quite low. Much better than trying to go toward the gun and make myself a bigger target.

If sitting across a table with an attacker that has a weapon leveled at my chest, and I am also armed, then I talk slowly and calmly while I grab my own weapon under the table and shoot first. Just like Han Solo did.

That's right, HAN SHOT FIRST!!!!
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

Thanks IA_farmboy, I was looking for an answer like this one. A person must know the situation and act accordingly. One mistake can become a matter of life and death.

Youtube is full of examples of gun take-aways in that situation. Generally they all involve moving head out the way, striking/twisting gun the other way.

Action beats reaction.
    The only common sense gun regulations were written about 227 years ago.

Ban gangs, not guns!

I've got some videos on self defending against a gun holder. If only a person is professional martial arts expert nobody can hurt him from near distance.
    Boston Firearms Training Center
    Firearms Safety Training Classes
    (617) 944-0985

Here's a few scenarios I've run through my mind. If facing the person alone and the attacker is within arms reach I grab the hand with the gun and point it away from me and then promptly punch my attacker in the throat. I then keep punching until one of us goes limp.
    Ia-farmboy, Assuming that you are saying this in jest, because from your previous posts I believe that you know better than to think this would actually work.

In this situation, if I were the attacker, As soon as you moved for the gun, the trigger would likely get pulled, if you were lucky enough to have moved the gun away from your head, the noise and concussion from the blast would be very near your head, and blow your equilibrium right out of the box, that would be very quickly followed by a closed fist from my other hand striking the side of your head long before you could start punching, you are now in a very bad state.

In any situation where there is a gun pointed at you, by a bad guy, you are at a disadvantage because he already has the upper hand, the best move I believe you could make is to run as fast and erratic as possible, look for cover, or a path to get you away from him.

A common mugger would most likely let you go, not wanting to draw attention to himself for a prize that he may not get anyway.

I could go on, but I won't,,, by the way, I think those disarm your attacker videos are a joke.

Tom
    "Why is it, when your kid has an imaginary friend people think they are cute, but if they have an imaginary enemy, they are paraniod?"

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore1500 View Post

In this situation, if I were the attacker, As soon as you moved for the gun, the trigger would likely get pulled, if you were lucky enough to have moved the gun away from your head, the noise and concussion from the blast would be very near your head, and blow your equilibrium right out of the box, that would be very quickly followed by a closed fist from my other hand striking the side of your head long before you could start punching, you are now in a very bad state.
    Tom,

No offense, but if you move without hesitation or broadcasting your intent before you move, your attacker will not have time to register what is going on. It is the simple physics of the reaction time the human brain needs to assess what is going on and respond. Even if your assailant has rehearsed what he would do if his plan goes awry, he can be overwhelmed before he can put his plan into action even if it is only to pull the trigger.

Your assailant is going to be lulled by his feeling of being in full control, too - after all, he has a gun to your head.

A good way to test your reaction time, even if you are anticipating your next move, is to set a timer that only clicks off the minutes like on an oven. Set the timer on your microwave to the next minuet but don't punch 'start' until you see the oven timer click to the next minute. you'll be surprised at the amount of time delay between the oven clock and the microwave clock, even with your full attention to the oven clock and the anticipation of your move to punch 'start' ... even with your finger poised on the start button.

Woody
    http://oklahomafirearmservices.com/
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

Woody,

How about this, I started the stop watch on my phone with the intent to stop it at 10 seconds, hands on my lap I stopped it at 010.44, 44/100 of a second, and I can do that all day if you wish.

Someone that is anticipating some reaction from you will be ready for it, I personally do not think it is worth taking the chance.

Also, there is the fact that if the trigger is pulled that close to someones head, whether it hits them or not, they are going to be disoriented enough and may even have powder burns to deal with, being that close to the business end of a gun when it goes off is a lot different than being behind it.

Nearly all of the videos of disarming an attacker I have seen, the attacker rarely does anything unexpected, they don't fight back, kind of like taking a 6 year olds lunch money.

Tom
    "Why is it, when your kid has an imaginary friend people think they are cute, but if they have an imaginary enemy, they are paraniod?"

Woody,

How about this, I started the stop watch on my phone with the intent to stop it at 10 seconds, hands on my lap I stopped it at 010.44, 44/100 of a second, and I can do that all day if you wish.

Someone that is anticipating some reaction from you will be ready for it, I personally do not think it is worth taking the chance.

Also, there is the fact that if the trigger is pulled that close to someones head, whether it hits them or not, they are going to be disoriented enough and may even have powder burns to deal with, being that close to the business end of a gun when it goes off is a lot different than being behind it.

Nearly all of the videos of disarming an attacker I have seen, the attacker rarely does anything unexpected, they don't fight back, kind of like taking a 6 year olds lunch money.

Tom
    That's nearly a half a second, and you were prepared and anticipating your move.

Woody
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

According to the anti-gunners I have heard since the 1960s, a gun is useless for self-defense because the other person will just take it away from you and use it against you. So if someone put a gun to my head, they would be shot with their own gun, right?

I was always advised if a man attacks you with a weapon, you block the weapon and take out the man one-two. You don't block the weapon and do a little Snoopy victory dance, because the man is the killer, not the gun or knife or tire tool, and he must be neutralized. Kick 'im in the kneecaps and run like aitch.

Do any of the videos show neutralizing the unarmed attacker afterf disarming him? According to FBI UCR for 2013 there were nearly 800 murders by "unarmed" attackers using "personal weapons" like hands, fists, feet, knees, elbows. The idea an unarmed or disarmed attacker is harmless is for the birds.

A disarmed attacker is not going to stand in awe of the defender's internet-fu. He is an on going present danger.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

Do any of the videos show neutralizing the unarmed attacker afterf disarming him? According to FBI UCR for 2013 there were nearly 800 murders by "unarmed" attackers using "personal weapons" like hands, fists, feet, knees, elbows. The idea an unarmed or disarmed attacker is harmless is for the birds.
    As I said, the ones I have seen are a joke, I probably have not seen them all and may not have seen any of the best ones, but they usually show a man with a gun on some one, the vic. then jumps into some "master kung fu" move and suddenly he has the gun, then they break for lunch or something.

Like I said before, "Gettin' outa dodge" seems to be the optimum move, in what ever way possible.

Ia-farmboy, Assuming that you are saying this in jest, because from your previous posts I believe that you know better than to think this would actually work.
    The only part from my earlier post that was in jest was my attempt at humor over the "Han shot first" frenzy from the Star Wars re-release.

You suggest I run from my armed attacker if within arms reach? Just how far away from the muzzle do you expect me to get before my attacker realizes I'm running and starts to shoot? As demonstrated in other posts I would likely have only a split second for me to create a safe distance, and that's not going to happen. My feet and knees won't allow me to run like I used to. In this "fight or flight" scenario I believe the best plan is to fight.

How much distance would I need before "fight" turns to "flight"? More than a couple arm lengths I'd guess. Beyond that I'd then run for cover and/or assistance. I'd also look for something to use as a weapon, my attacker may decide to follow me.

You may believe those "disarm your attacker" videos are a joke but I don't, some are jokes but not all. If I can reach out and grab that gun I'm going to try to point it away from me. Trying to turn and run just sounds, to me at least, like a good way to get shot in the back.

That said there is no set in stone answer. How close is my attacker? Is he/she bigger than me? Is there cover nearby? Why am I being held at gunpoint? If I think handing over what is in my pockets will make them go away then I'll empty my pockets.

It also depends on the person. I'm well over six feet tall, about 200 pounds, and other than my feet I'm in pretty good shape. Some one smaller than me might not have the option to try to fight it out. In that case I see only two options, run for your life or hope and pray that all they want is your stuff.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

Yeah, the guy most likely just wants the stuff in my pockets, but there is also the chance he doesn't want any live witnesses. I'm not going to wait for him to make up his mind make that choice.

Woody
    Last edited by ConstitutionCowboy; September 23rd, 2015 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Clarity

If a martial art expert is in that place, he would snatch that gun in a millisecond. But we normal guys cannot/should not try to snatch the gun from the threat.
    (617) 944-0985

nice post buddy..

Also, gun owners should not put their gun in somebody's head because in that way the gun holder becomes an easy target of that person, he can grab the gun through his fighting skills (which you obviously don't have otherwise you wouldn't have bought a gun in the first place) and use it against you. So, it is advisable to threat the person from two meters distance if possible. Just my personal safety thought!
    (617) 944-0985

+ Reply to Thread