+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heard any good new bands lately?

Heard any good new bands lately?

I just heard an interview of Cabin Creek on NRA News. They played one song and I immediately went on line to order their CD. Their website:
    http://www.cabincreekband.com

I heard another good band probably a few weeks ago, Echosmith.
    http://www.echosmith.com/

Echosmith has an awesome history. They are the children of a music producer that happened to pick up music at a young age. They each happened to pick instruments to play to make a four piece band. They'd play in church, and at fundraisers, and before the oldest was old enough to drink they were signed on by Warner Brothers Records.

Buy their stuff.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

Cabin Creek - "Hoping and Wishing"

Echosmith - "Bright"

Echosmith - "Nothing's Wrong" Live

I love the way they performed this song. About halfway through they get the crowd to clap along, the singer puts down her mike, the bass player puts his guitar on his back, then they both pick up drumsticks... and lots of drumming follows.

The drummer, Graham, is a quiet kid. He doesn't say much in interviews. Don't know if he's shy, has some sort of contractual obligations not to speak because of his age (15 or 16 years old now), or if he has a speaking problem. Regardless, he seems to know how to beat on those drums.

Lennon and Maisy - "Ho Hey" (by The Lumineers)

I almost forgot about Lennon and Maisy, two talented young sisters.

Lennon and Maisy - "Ring of Fire" (Johnny Cash)

Is that a ukelele she's playing? I think I want one.

Being 95% deaf I haven't heard anything! Sometimes that can be a good thing. I can remember a lot of good old bands like America.

Ventura Highway 1972

"A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar View Post
    I can remember a lot of good old bands like America.
    If we're setting the Wayback Machine to the 1970's then I'll give you a song that's been getting a lot of time on my iPod lately.

I rediscovered Talking Heads after my brother gave me a stack of his CDs, Talking Heads "Sand in the Vaseline" was among them.

Pentatonix

Here's a band that I've been playing quite a bit on YouTube, Penatonix. The video below is an excellently done cover of "Cheerleader".

I was talking with a co-worker lately and somehow a cappella music came up. He talked about how his wife liked The Nylons and now listens to Pentatonix. I heard of Pentatonix before and watched some of their videos but I didn't like them because I thought they were claiming to be a cappella but used an electronic beatbox like Rockappella did.

No, they don't use electronics that I can tell. Sure, they use amplification and some echo/reverb but that's about it. What convinced me of their talent is at about 1:20 in the video I hear what I thought was a bass guitar sing, "yeah, yeah". They are just that good. The bass can hit notes that go through the floor. The beatbox dude can... I don't even have the words to describe his talent. The soprano has a voice that is angelic, demonstrated at about 2:20.

What I don't like about the video is that there is an obvious doubling track on the bass voice. Also, they couldn't find jackets that fit? I can relate as I think I'm about the same height as the baritone and the sleeves just barely go past his elbows. The tenor and soprano have a good fit though.

More Pentatonix

Here's an original song by Pentatonix:

Again I am slightly disappointed at their use of a doubling track. It's obvious they used one on the baritone, possibly again on the bass also like the video above. Awesome song, awesome singing.

Pentatonix with strings

Just one more Pentatonix video, this time with Lindsey Stirling on the violin and KO on cello:

The beatboxer, which I found out goes by "KO", also knows how to play the cello. Again an excellent cover of a song showing that they can do more than just sing.

+ Reply to Thread