+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Merle Haggard dead at 79

Merle Haggard dead at 79

Just saw in the news that Merle Haggard died today. Share your favorite song in tribute. Here's mine, Big City.

It's a simple song with a simple message. The story behind it is quite interesting and I hope I recall it correctly. Merle Haggard had just finished a recording session and went out to his tour bus to find his driver in a bit of a sour mood. He talked with him a bit and thought his story and frustrations would make for a great song. After quickly writing some lyrics he runs back to the studio and asked his band to stop packing up and sit for one more song. He gave them some instruction on the sound he was looking for and allowed the performers to improvise. The song was recorded in one take with no rehearsal. He credited the bus driver as a co-writer granting him a portion of the royalties.

Those words of frustration and inspiration likely made that bus driver a millionaire. I hope he found a place in the middle of Montana.

Mr. Haggard, I raise a glass to a job well done, your songs have made you immortal.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

Grew up listening to this while my father was in Viet Nam in the early 70s.

Rest in Peace Merle

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08, 09,15 & 16'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11',14',17' & 18'

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    Grew up listening to this while my father was in Viet Nam in the early 70s.
    Dad was drafted into the Iowa National Guard during the Vietnam War. He never went to Vietnam but he sure did complain about the draft dodgers, long haired hippies, and dope smokers just like Merle Haggard did in that song.

I may be mistaken but I recall Dad having a few Merle Haggard songs on his stack of LP records. I remember hearing Mama Tried more than once on the stereo.

Mom still has those records, I should look through them the next time I visit.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

+ Reply to Thread