+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Concealed Carry - Should It Not To Be Shown?

Concealed Carry - Should It Not To Be Shown?

Hello everyone,

I want to ask if it is dangerous to show your concealed carry in public? I have a holster which is clearly visible and my friend told me that I am doing a big mistake letting it exposed like that.
    Boston Firearms Training Center
    Firearms Safety Training Classes
    (617) 944-0985

Depends on your area and circumstances. I'm on the NC coastline where open carry is also allowed. I don't have to worry about losing my license if printing or showing if I'm carrying concealed. There no right or wrong answer as every time it's going to be different. Crimminals are generally cowards, ie if they see someone carrying they can decide to leave you alone. Open carry can be a deterent. On the other hand it can tip them off to hit you first. Too many want ifs.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08, 09,15 & 16'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11',14',17' & 18'

If you are in Massachusetts, here is some relevant information from open carry.org.

http://www.opencarry.org/state-info-i-m/massachusetts/

More info from handgunlaw.us. on Massachusetts.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/massachusetts.pdf
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

As far as being more or less dangerous in terms of making you a target versus your being a deterrent, as far as I know, all of it is theoretical at this point. Also, as far as I know (at this point) any data may be skewed by the mass media's tendency to distort and misrepresent actual instances.

Besides, if you're walking around OC-ing, how can anyone ever know if a "yout" with his pants down by his lower sphincters or other choir boy walked into the stop and grab, saw your weapon, and just decided to buy a pack of gum like the good little boy his momma thinks he is?

So it can't be counted as a data point.

It's like the actual defensive use of firearms in general. As the NRA used to say, many crimes have been prevented by the mere presence of a firearm, without a shot being fired.

Or a defensive sidearm being drawn. Or got out of the nightstand. Or by hubby hollering, "Martha, I think there's a crook downstairs ! Git me my shotgun!"

Hey, that's a defensive use too, ain't it?

I'd love it if open carry were "normalized" around urban areas in Colorado, but that's bound to bring unwanted attention in the crime ridden "civilized and sophisticated" cities.

Funny thing is that as far as I can tell, the legal restrictions (not just in CO) about concealed carry seem to be largely based on the notion that it's somehow a "sneaky," "underhanded," "scurrilous" thing to do, only suited for riverboat gamblers, gun molls, and pimps. Yet, nowadays, concealed carry is only for the permitted "good guys," and undercover or off-duty LEOs.

Go figure.

I prefer concealed, but there are many times, expecially in warm weather, when I would like to just step out the door without worrying about exposure of my personal defense sidearm being a coronary-inducer to those "civilized and sophisticaed" city dwellers.

However, even if the Colorado Constitution says that the right of no person to keep and bear arms shall be called into question, son of a bitch if it is anyhow, by all them there "civilized and sophisticated" idiots.

Maybe all those "sophisticated and civilized" legislators under the golden dome of the state house ought to take some remedial reading lessons.

Terry, 230RN

REF (Sample of restrictive language):

COLORADO CONSTITUTION

ARTICLE II
    Bill of Rights

Section 3. Inalienable rights. All persons have certain natural, essential and inalienable rights, among which may be reckoned the right of enjoying and defending their lives and liberties; of acquiring, possessing and protecting property; and of seeking and obtaining their safety and happiness.

Section 13. Right to bear arms. The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons.

(Yeah, 'cause only pimps and gun molls and riverboat gamblers carry concealed, right?)
    Last edited by 230RN; June 5th, 2016 at 01:37 PM.
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)

Concealed Carry - Should It Not To Be Shown?
    When it's shown, its no longer concealed carry.

Open carry is a great deterrent, but when it fails to deter, it becomes a tactical disadvantage.

Also, open carry requires different training, and also requires more thought on methods of carry. If I had a nickel for every time I'd been behind a uniformed officer, and thought of how easy it would be for me to grab his gun before he was even aware of my presence....

My personal rule is never open carry where it is crowded, and people are bumping into each other, and if I do open carry, which is rare except in the field, the gun is carried in front of in some manner, such as a shoulder rig, or front cross draw.

nice post buddy

Pros and Cons for both concealed and open carry. I can see the advantages of either method, visible or concealed. My preference is for nobody (John Q Public) to know I am armed till I need to use my weapon, kind of like an ace in the hole. Where I live we have open carry and now permit less concealed carry, although we still have concealed carry permits for those of us who travel out of state.

+ Reply to Thread