Thread: Revolver mod

Revolver mod

An elderly relative owns a Ruger SP-101 in .38 Special but has been having problems working the action in both DA and SA.
    I recently took it to a gunsmith and we quickly found out why it was so hard to pull.

The 'smith's gauge showed a 30 POUND DA TRIGGER PULL !!

He advised me on HOW to mod the hammer spring but, legally, couldn't do the work himself. What he did was to provide me with a spring that had already been cut down and he talked me through the change-over. This spring had about 1 1/2 turns of the coil spring removed and, when we re-checked after I put it back together, the pull weight was down to 11 lbs. He also advised us to put about a box of ammo through it to make sure there were no misfires. There were none in the 35-40 rounds we fired testing the gun.

At least now, this relative can operate the gun AND I still have the original spring if I need it.
    Life Member of both NRA and North American Hunting Club (huntingclub.com)
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

Must have been a NY trigger

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08, 09,15 & 16'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11' & 14'

Someone (possibly Ruger) put the wrong spring in the gun.

Just a question, why would a gunsmith not be able to legally fix a trigger? Or is it the type of fix?
    When and how did I become a senior member? Remember don't drink the Kool-aid!!

J.J.

Quote Originally Posted by Grmlin View Post
    Just a question, why would a gunsmith not be able to legally fix a trigger? Or is it the type of fix?
    that's my question too. Fixing guns is what gunsmiths do.
    Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.....
    Barry Goldwater

Thread necromancy but here goes:
    I got a Wolff spring kit for mine then installed the lightest hammer and trigger return spring they had. Lastly, before I reinserted the trigger module I took a Dremmel bit and gently smoothed the inside of the trigger return spring channel. There was a bur in there somewhere which I could feel. Then I put just a hint of grease in the channel.
    The SP-101 is my carry gun, has a really nice trigger now and has been 100% reliable through 100s of rounds and 2 years of carry.
    Everybody spread love

Thanks for the tip Apple.

Grmlin - sorry for not replying before but I hadn't been back here after late July when nobody by CD posted.
    What the gunsmith told me that if they modded that spring and if caused an accident, they could be held liable for altering the gun away from the Ruger specs. Not only could they have been "criminally liable" but Ruger (et. al) could file civil actions.
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

Thanks JT, sounds reasonable didn't think of that part. Hope your not experiencing any of the flooding out that way.
    When and how did I become a senior member? Remember don't drink the Kool-aid!!

J.J.

Thankfully, no, but I had almost 7" of rain in less than 4 days. In one 24 hr. period during those 4 days, I had 4.1" of rain.
    With spring here in full blast, I have to try and mow when I can. Plus, I help an elderly relative (as much as she lets me!).

Man, send some of that rain down here.
    We're lucky if we see rain once a month,
    lately.