+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Permitless Carry Scoreboard

2017 Permitless Carry Scoreboard

Wikipedia tells me that 11 states have permitless carry as of the start of this year. Those states are, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho (residents only), Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming (residents only). There is an argument that resident only permitless carry does not count, and there is an argument that a resident only condition will not hold up to judicial scrutiny. Regardless of this we seem to be off to a good start.

I've seen news of bills submitted for permitless carry in state legislatures in New Hampshire, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, and Iowa. With Iowa this change is a bit different as it is currently being proposed as a constitutional amendment, which makes this a longer and more complex process. If I understand the process correctly a constitutional amendment in Iowa must pass in two consecutive legislatures and then appear on a general election ballot. If the people vote in favor then it's part of the state constitution.

I intend to update this thread periodically through the year as state legislatures debate these bills. I'd appreciate comments, contributions of bill status in the various state legislatures, and corrections as the year progresses. With so many states considering permitless carry legislation I expect this list of states with permitless carry to grow.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

We're getting there. 22% of the nation so far. Wish North Carolina will get on board with it.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08, 09,15 & 16'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11' & 14'

Farmboy - thanks for compiling that information. As a "victim" of Illinois' backwards laws, I look forward to improvements here and elsewhere.
    Life Member of both NRA and North American Hunting Club (huntingclub.com)
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

Oklahoma

I'm on the lookout for something positive here in Oklahoma on the Constitutional Carry issue. Our legislative session begins shortly. So far, I've seen nothing in the wind about CC.

Woody
    http://oklahomafirearmservices.com/
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

Kentucky Senate Bill 7

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    We're getting there. 22% of the nation so far. Wish North Carolina will get on board with it.

CD
    Our progress depends on how one computes that percentage. It's 22% based on number of states. It's about 5% based on population. If based on area then one would have to decide if this includes rural areas where concealed carry is protected, if this includes "school zones", and so on. I prefer to point out the population statistic, with only 5% of the USA actually living under the law as the Constitution intended that puts this in a certain perspective.

If we go by area then we might be able to claim that 50% (just pulling that number out of the air) of the USA is "constitutional carry" but who cares about that? If I have to move to another state, or out of city limits, to not fear being cited for carry without a permit then that's not much of a right, is it?

Putting the actual percentage gain aside what is clear is that we've gained "bigly" in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Farmboy - thanks for compiling that information. As a "victim" of Illinois' backwards laws, I look forward to improvements here and elsewhere.
    I post these "scoreboards" out of my own curiosity. I'm keeping track of this for myself but I thought I'd share in the hope others find it interesting and hoping others find things I missed and share them here. I'm also hoping that I can get people to speak up on this when it counts by spreading news of when these bills are getting debated. Here's my first call to action this year...

NRA-ILA is asking people in Kentucky to call there state legislators to support Senate Bill 7.
    http://email.nraila.org/articles/201...nate-committee

The links on that page for Kentucky voters to contact their legislators appears broken. Perhaps they will fix them soon, perhaps people will have to seek out the contact info elsewhere.

New Hampshire

With a new gun friendly (I believe) Governor, the Granite State should join their neighbors, Vermont and Maine, in the Permitless Club.

The Democratic ex-Gov vetoed the last two attempts.

Thanks, Iowa, for continuing these updates!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

Montana House Bill 262

A hat tip to NRA-ILA for news on Montana permitless carry bill advancing.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...ry-legislation

Earlier this week, the Montana House of Representatives passed constitutional/permitless carry legislation, House Bill 262. HB 262 has now been transferred over to the Senate where it will await a committee referral.
    As I recall a bill like this has been tried before in Montana but I am not sure what killed it. Right now there is a Republican majority in both houses of the legislature and a Democratic governor that claims to be supportive of the right to bear arms.

If I were to bet on the end of year tally I would guess a gain of at least three states at this point. Place your guesses here and the winner gets bragging rights. We'll make up the rules as it goes along. Perhaps we'll make a preference for earliest and most accurate guess.

I'm in at two. While I'd love to see it happen in SD, major gun rights improvements (in a state that's already got great lack of gun restrictions) really take a beating in committee.
    The only common sense gun regulations were written about 227 years ago.

Ban gangs, not guns!

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    I'm in at two. While I'd love to see it happen in SD, major gun rights improvements (in a state that's already got great lack of gun restrictions) really take a beating in committee.
    Any guesses as to which two? I'm guessing that New Hampshire, Montana, and then either Virginia or North Dakota will see permitless carry get passed, though not necessarily take effect, by the end of this calendar year.

Saw this on NRA-ILA today...
    https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...in-the-process

On Thursday, February 9, Senate Bill 12 will be going before the full House of Representatives for a vote. If passed, SB 12 will eliminate the requirement to obtain a permit in order to lawfully carry. Gun-control advocate Michael Bloomberg has been organizing attacks against Governor Chris Sununu for his support of SB 12. Please contact Governor Sununu and thank him for supporting this critical legislation! Also, please continue contacting your state Representative and urging them to vote in favor of SB 12.
    In searching for the status on this bill I found this...
    http://www.guns.com/2017/01/11/new-h...-of-committee/

Current Governor Chris Sununu, sworn in last week, is on the record as saying he would sign a constitutional carry bill, according to the Concord Monitor. New Hampshire gun owners remain hopeful he will keep his word if the bill finds its way to his desk.
    So it passed the Senate, is now in the House, and the Governor said he'd sign if on his desk. I'm not counting chickens yet but this egg looks ready to hatch. While Republicans don't always equal a favorable view on the right of self defense it does tend to lean that way and the Republicans do hold a majority in the NH House. I saw nothing to indicate when this vote would be held.

My guess is two. New Hampshire and Montana. MT may be a reach with the supposedly centrist Democrat Governor.

Indiana House Bill 1159

It's currently in committee, but constitutional carry has been introduced in Indiana.

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2017/bills/house/1159
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Ernest Hemingway

A bill that would make it easier for Granite Staters to carry a concealed weapon on Thursday easily passed its final major legislative hurdle on its path toward becoming law.

The state House of Representatives voted 200-97 in favor of the measure, which would repeal the need for a permit or license to carry a concealed handgun. There were a large number of absent state representatives, due to the powerful snowstorm slamming New Hampshire.

https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/0...tm_campaign=nl

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Montana permitless carry bill on governor's desk

I saw on the NRA-ILA website that the Montana Senate voted for permitless carry.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...governors-desk

This makes two states now, with New Hampshire, where permitless carry needs only a signature from the governor to become law.

The NRA-ILA RSS feed shows Alabama and South Dakota have permitless carry bills coming out of committees.

Listening to the debate in the committee in SD, I heard a couple good soundbites.

"You shouldn't have to lease your rights back from the state."

"Where open carry is lawful, you shouldn't have to pay a coat tax just because it gets cold outside." (paraphrased)

ETA: I see that the term "coat tax" has been in use at least since 2011.
    Last edited by sdprof; February 17th, 2017 at 01:50 PM.

Ban gangs, not guns!

The requirement to obtain permission from the government to carry a concealed tool of self defense has been removed in New Hampshire.

Quote Originally Posted by IA_farmboy View Post
    The requirement to obtain permission from the government to carry a concealed tool of self defense has been removed in New Hampshire.
    At least some people in New England can read the Constitution.

Woody
    http://oklahomafirearmservices.com/
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

Now that we got New Hampshire, who will be next? Maybe any day now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.GIF 
Views:	40 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	92065

Permitless carry vetoed in Montana

I see that Gov. Bullock has vetoed the bill that would remove the requirement to have a permit to carry a concealed weapon inside city limits.

http://www.guns.com/2017/02/24/monta...-post-offices/

Given the vote counts to get the bill on the governor's desk it is unlikely to see a veto override vote.

I see that Gov. Bullock has vetoed the bill that would remove the requirement to have a permit to carry a concealed weapon inside city limits.

http://www.guns.com/2017/02/24/monta...-post-offices/

Given the vote counts to get the bill on the governor's desk it is unlikely to see a veto override vote.
    I agree. A override is probably impossible. When you elect a Democrat Governor, this is what you get. New Hampshire only has permitless carry because they elected a Republican Governor in November.

SD legislature has passed the permitless carry bill (HB1072), but the Gov has stated, back in early Feb., that he intends to veto it. By the votes, an override looks unlikely.

Standing by for further standing by.

Ban gangs, not guns!

Arkansas has Constitutional Carry bills in the House and Senate.

SB585 in the Senate.
    HB1994 in the House

Permitless carry signed into law in North Dakota

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...ation-into-law

Permitless carry becomes the law in North Dakota on August 1st of this year.

Texas HB 1911 debated in committee

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...ouse-next-week

The Texas House will be debating HB 1911 in committee soon, this bill would remove the need to acquire a permit to carry to lawfully conceal and carry a sidearm. Texans should contact their legislators and urge them to support this bill.

I find it amusing that the bill number coincides with one of the most popular models of handguns ever made. Perhaps this is a good sign.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...ation-into-law

Permitless carry becomes the law in North Dakota on August 1st of this year.
    Was discussing this with the Sheriff of Stuttsman County ND over coffee this morning which he totally supports.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

SD gov did in fact veto HB 1072, the permitless carry bill. Our next shot is 2019, when he's no longer in office.

Ban gangs, not guns!

+ Reply to Thread