+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2017 Permitless Carry Scoreboard

Hybrid View

2017 Permitless Carry Scoreboard

Wikipedia tells me that 11 states have permitless carry as of the start of this year. Those states are, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho (residents only), Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming (residents only). There is an argument that resident only permitless carry does not count, and there is an argument that a resident only condition will not hold up to judicial scrutiny. Regardless of this we seem to be off to a good start.

I've seen news of bills submitted for permitless carry in state legislatures in New Hampshire, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, and Iowa. With Iowa this change is a bit different as it is currently being proposed as a constitutional amendment, which makes this a longer and more complex process. If I understand the process correctly a constitutional amendment in Iowa must pass in two consecutive legislatures and then appear on a general election ballot. If the people vote in favor then it's part of the state constitution.

I intend to update this thread periodically through the year as state legislatures debate these bills. I'd appreciate comments, contributions of bill status in the various state legislatures, and corrections as the year progresses. With so many states considering permitless carry legislation I expect this list of states with permitless carry to grow.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

We're getting there. 22% of the nation so far. Wish North Carolina will get on board with it.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08, 09,15 & 16'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11' & 14'

Farmboy - thanks for compiling that information. As a "victim" of Illinois' backwards laws, I look forward to improvements here and elsewhere.
    Life Member of both NRA and North American Hunting Club (huntingclub.com)
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

Oklahoma

I'm on the lookout for something positive here in Oklahoma on the Constitutional Carry issue. Our legislative session begins shortly. So far, I've seen nothing in the wind about CC.

Woody
    http://oklahomafirearmservices.com/
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

Oklahoma HB 2322, permitless carry, passes in House

Quote Originally Posted by ConstitutionCowboy View Post
    I'm on the lookout for something positive here in Oklahoma on the Constitutional Carry issue. Our legislative session begins shortly. So far, I've seen nothing in the wind about CC.

Woody
    Look at this, Woody:

http://swoknews.com/area/gun-bills-coody-advance-senate

House Bill 2323 would allow residents who meet certain criteria to carry a pistol, concealed or unconcealed, loaded or unloaded, in their vehicle, without possessing a valid handgun license. It also would allow residents who meet certain criteria to carry a rifle or shotgun, concealed or unconcealed but unloaded, in their vehicle at any time. House Bill 2322 clarifies some provisions in the Oklahoma Firearms Act, specifying that municipalities and other political subdivisions of the state may not pass regulations in violation of the provisions of that act and setting guidelines for court awards for anyone who is "adversely affected" by political subdivisions that do so in violation of state law.

HB 2323 passed the House Tuesday on a 70-16 vote and had its first reading in the Senate Wednesday, but had not been assigned to a committee as of Friday. HB 2322 passed the House Monday by a 76-10 vote and had its first reading in the Senate Tuesday, but has not been assigned to a committee.
    Didn't Oklahoma (and your neighbor Texas) get open carry in the last year or two? Keep the ball rolling if you can.

Tennessee House kills permitless carry bills

Permitless carry killed by Tennessee House panel.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ealed-gun-bill

Quote Originally Posted by IA_farmboy View Post
    Look at this, Woody:

http://swoknews.com/area/gun-bills-coody-advance-senate

Didn't Oklahoma (and your neighbor Texas) get open carry in the last year or two? Keep the ball rolling if you can.
    Yeah, 2323 is step forward but it is still not constitution carry. We did get open carry but you still have to have a permit. We're working on cc, though. OK2A is hot on the trail!

Woody
    http://oklahomafirearmservices.com/
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

Kentucky Senate Bill 7

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    We're getting there. 22% of the nation so far. Wish North Carolina will get on board with it.

CD
    Our progress depends on how one computes that percentage. It's 22% based on number of states. It's about 5% based on population. If based on area then one would have to decide if this includes rural areas where concealed carry is protected, if this includes "school zones", and so on. I prefer to point out the population statistic, with only 5% of the USA actually living under the law as the Constitution intended that puts this in a certain perspective.

If we go by area then we might be able to claim that 50% (just pulling that number out of the air) of the USA is "constitutional carry" but who cares about that? If I have to move to another state, or out of city limits, to not fear being cited for carry without a permit then that's not much of a right, is it?

Putting the actual percentage gain aside what is clear is that we've gained "bigly" in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Farmboy - thanks for compiling that information. As a "victim" of Illinois' backwards laws, I look forward to improvements here and elsewhere.
    I post these "scoreboards" out of my own curiosity. I'm keeping track of this for myself but I thought I'd share in the hope others find it interesting and hoping others find things I missed and share them here. I'm also hoping that I can get people to speak up on this when it counts by spreading news of when these bills are getting debated. Here's my first call to action this year...

NRA-ILA is asking people in Kentucky to call there state legislators to support Senate Bill 7.
    http://email.nraila.org/articles/201...nate-committee

The links on that page for Kentucky voters to contact their legislators appears broken. Perhaps they will fix them soon, perhaps people will have to seek out the contact info elsewhere.

New Hampshire

With a new gun friendly (I believe) Governor, the Granite State should join their neighbors, Vermont and Maine, in the Permitless Club.

The Democratic ex-Gov vetoed the last two attempts.

Thanks, Iowa, for continuing these updates!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

Montana House Bill 262

A hat tip to NRA-ILA for news on Montana permitless carry bill advancing.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...ry-legislation

Earlier this week, the Montana House of Representatives passed constitutional/permitless carry legislation, House Bill 262. HB 262 has now been transferred over to the Senate where it will await a committee referral.
    As I recall a bill like this has been tried before in Montana but I am not sure what killed it. Right now there is a Republican majority in both houses of the legislature and a Democratic governor that claims to be supportive of the right to bear arms.

If I were to bet on the end of year tally I would guess a gain of at least three states at this point. Place your guesses here and the winner gets bragging rights. We'll make up the rules as it goes along. Perhaps we'll make a preference for earliest and most accurate guess.

I'm in at two. While I'd love to see it happen in SD, major gun rights improvements (in a state that's already got great lack of gun restrictions) really take a beating in committee.
    The only common sense gun regulations were written about 227 years ago.

Ban gangs, not guns!

+ Reply to Thread