View Poll Results: Will Neil Gorsuch Be a Friend of the RKBA?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 87.50%
  • No

0 0%
  • Undecided

1 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Neil Gorsuch Be a Friend of the RKBA?

Will Neil Gorsuch Be a Friend of the RKBA?

Gorsuch will be confirmed eventually. Hopefully on a up and down vote and without a rules change by the Republicans, bringing in the nuclear option. Here is a view of the man from the National Review:

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...iginalist-heir

He certainly appears to be an originalist to me, in the Scalia, Alito and Thomas mold, which is what we sorely need. Kennedy and Roberts are never an absolute sure bet.

Even the New York Times and the Washington Post ran op-ed's in his favor. That might be a first.

We'll do a poll for the first time in awhile. All comments and votes will be appreciated.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

First, from what I've seen and heard, I believe he will abide the Constitution. Secondly, I do not believe he will let 'precedence' get in the way. That will be of utmost importance.

Woody
    http://oklahomafirearmservices.com/
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

Here's a WaPo piece by an author I trust
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...gious-freedom/

I like the way Gorsuch thinks in the writings quoted there.
    The only common sense gun regulations were written about 227 years ago.

Ban gangs, not guns!

^ I have posted comments to discussion threads at Volokh Conspiracy when it was an independent website and after it partnered with Washington Post. VC is editorially independent of WaPo. VC threads are opened by law professors and VC is very Libertarian; it drives liberal commenters crazy to find VC at WaPo, so i would not brand VC as WaPo. VC founder Eugene Volokh of UCLA was quoted in the SCOTUS decision in Heller that overturned the D.C. handgun and self-defense bans.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

I hope he will, my main prayer is that DJT will be able to appoint Ted Cruz or that ninth circuit guy that wrote the great dissent in sylviera v lockyer i think it was called
    (sorry,I am not a real gunsmith)

Life Member NRA

May the force never kick in your door at 3am!

The quickest way of ending a war is to lose it.
    George Orwell

guns don't kill people,well placed shots in vital organs do!

Quote Originally Posted by gunsmith View Post
    I hope he will, my main prayer is that DJT will be able to appoint Ted Cruz or that ninth circuit guy that wrote the great dissent in sylviera v lockyer i think it was called
    I believe this is the dissenting opinion.

https://cjhsla.org/2013/02/14/silvei...nting-opinion/

Commentary/News and Commentary
    Silveira v. Lockyer: Judge Alex Kozinski’s Dissenting Opinion
    on February 14, 2013

All the NRA “defending hunters’ rights” angles aside, this is what the 2nd amendment is about.

Silveira v. Lockyer, No. 01-15098 Filed May 6, 2003

Judge Alex Kozinski’s Dissenting Opinion
    (Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit)

Interesting reading.

SDProf and JD - thanks for posting.
    Life Member of both NRA and North American Hunting Club (huntingclub.com)
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

Gorsuch acted like a wimp, to a Democratic Senator no less, calling Trumps remarks discouraging and disconsalate.

This does not bode well. Gorsuch should take some advice from my sig line.

Senate proceedings on Gorsuch begin on March 20. It should be quite entertaining! lots of inside politics will be going on. Does the threat of the nuclear option loom?

I doubt it. The Democrats have to save their heavy ammo for the next Justice nominee. That one will be crucial to the future of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar View Post
    Senate proceedings on Gorsuch begin on March 20. It should be quite entertaining! lots of inside politics will be going on. Does the threat of the nuclear option loom?

I doubt it. The Democrats have to save their heavy ammo for the next Justice nominee. That one will be crucial to the future of America.
    I'll be watching this with great interest.

Woody
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

The Gorsuch hearings have begun. Should we be surprised by the concern of Senator Diane Feinstein? Click here!

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) offered her interpretation of the Constitution at Monday’s Senate Judiciary Committee hearing for Trump’s nominee to the Supreme Court, Neil Gorsuch. In her opening remarks, the Democratic senator said she was deeply troubled by the nominee’s identifying himself as a constitutional “originalist.”

“It’s a framework on which to build,” she said. “I firmly believe the Constitution is a living document that evolves as our country evolves.”

Feinstein noted that at the time of the document’s initial drafting, slavery was still an institution and women were still being burned at the stake for witchcraft. If the document had not evolved with culture, she added, we would still have segregated schools and women wouldn’t be equally protected under the law.
    That's really what she believes (bolded part)???

Maybe she's worried that she'd receive the same treatment today?

Ban gangs, not guns!

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    That's really what she believes (bolded part)???

Maybe she's worried that she'd receive the same treatment today?
    I would guess any witch would be worried.

Also, the Constitution did not prohibit women from voting; that was up to the several states. And the Constitution did have a provision setting a time when the importation of slaves could be prohibited by Congress.

Woody

To be fair, that Townhall article misquoted the senator from CA. What she said was
    ...AT THE TIME OF OUR FOUNDING, AFRICAN-AMERICANS WERE ENSLAVED. IT WAS NOT SO LONG AFTER WOMEN HAD BEEN BURNED AT THE STAKE FOR WITCHCRAFT AND THE IDEA OF AN AUTOMOBILE, LET ALONE THE INTERNET WAS UNFATHOMABLE. ...
    Still, that she brings up something that had ended over 80 years before the Revolution, and labels it as "not so long after" is quite a stretch.

Ban gangs, not guns!

What is Good for the Internet is Good for the Suffragette.

Yeah, and though the automobile wasn't conceived back then, we did have wheeled vehicles drawn by horses and though there was no "internet", we had newspapers, pamphlets, libraries, and town criers. Yes, we had transportation and communication back then. It's better now, but transportation and communication are nothing new. Both were prevalent back then and the Founding Fathers were well aware of both.

Maybe she needs to be reminded that women voting wasn't allowed let alone a woman holding a seat in Congress back then as well. Since the Founding Fathers never conceived nor made a provision for women to vote or hold office that she should step down and make room for a man to hold her seat in the Senate. Otherwise, she exposes herself as a hypocrite. What is good for the internet is good for the suffragette.

Woody

I thought this would not happen but the WAPO is usually correct on these matters. With Schumer in charge of the Dems, all negative possibilities are in bloom. I still believe Gorsuch can get 60 votes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...=.4f5f13786a21

Senate hearings on Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch ended Thursday on a confrontational note, with the body’s top Democrat vowing a filibuster that could complicate Gorsuch’s expected confirmation and ultimately upend the traditional approach to approving justices.

Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said he will vote no on President Trump’s nominee and asked other Democrats to join him in blocking an up-or-down vote on Gorsuch.

I thought this would not happen but the WAPO is usually correct on these matters. With Schumer in charge of the Dems, all negative possibilities are in bloom. I still believe Gorsuch can get 60 votes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...=.4f5f13786a21
    Schumer's opposition to Gorsuch is not surprising and not unanticipated. Gorsuch is antithetical to the overthrow of the United States by any means; political or otherwise.

The United States Government is already far afield of the Constitution - far enough that I believe it is as foreign to the Constitution as the government of Mexico, or Russia, or France, or Somalia. Schumer and his ilk would take this country to Fascism, Marxism, communism, or any other form of repression as long as they are the ones in charge of the rest of us who would then be their serfs.

Back when the Constitution was written and ratified, a constitution was considered a form of government (Johnson's Dictionary of the English Language 1755, View 234, Octavo Photographed Edition). It is apparent our government is no longer a constitution - let alone THE Constitution.

Woody

Schumer Shows Signs of Strain

Interesting article from the NRA-ILA.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...ain-of-failure

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY), the current U.S. Senate minority leader has called for members of his party to filibuster the confirmation of Judge Neil M. Gorsuch to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has predicted that Democrats will be unable to stop Judge Gorsuch’s confirmation. Speaking to reporters, McConnell said, “It’s almost amusing to watch our Democratic friends try to come up with some rationale for opposition.” McConnell also noted that no Supreme Court confirmation has ever been stopped by the sort of partisan filibuster Schumer is proposing.

Interesting article from the NRA-ILA.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...ain-of-failure

Without reading the article, I'll just say that my two cents is that Schumer knows Gorsuch will be confirmed with or without him and is just 'pandering' to his leftist supporters.

Woody

The same can be said for "Crybaby Claire" McCaskill of Missouri. For the past 7-10 days. she has been waffling back and forth because of her (supposed) support for gun owners in Missouri. She finally said Saturday that she could not support Gorsuch.

Big surprise.
    Life Member of both NRA and North American Hunting Club (huntingclub.com)
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    The same can be said for "Crybaby Claire" McCaskill of Missouri. For the past 7-10 days. she has been waffling back and forth because of her (supposed) support for gun owners in Missouri. She finally said Saturday that she could not support Gorsuch.

Big surprise.
    Yeah, she said he doesn't have (or show?) humanity. Well, he will not be there in a humanitarian fashion. He'll be there as a judge. She's not supposed to be in the Senate as a humanitarian, either. You can't be a humanitarian on the public dime. There is no such post or grant of power to be a humanitarian in the Constitution.

So, I'd say she is pandering at no risk to her constituents as well.

Woody

This is the same Neil Gorsuch who was voted onto the 10th Circuit as a Federal Judge by a unanimous voice vote in June, 2006, at age 38. Now,11 years later, the same man with the same principles can't get one Democratic vote.

This is how toxically partisan Congress has became in little more than a decade.

This is the same Neil Gorsuch who was voted onto the 10th Circuit as a Federal Judge by a unanimous voice vote in June, 2006, at age 38. Now,11 years later, the same man with the same principles can't get one Democratic vote.

This is how toxically partisan Congress has became in little more than a decade.
    Well, now the Dem's toxicity has turned them into nothing more than a stinky goo by the ignition of the nuclear option. I like it when all they can do is raise a stink!

Woody

I just heard on the radio that Gorsuch was voted to SCOTUS by the Senate.

Grandma told me if I had nothing nice to say then it's best to say nothing at all, so I'll hold my tongue on what I think of Democrats in the Senate.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

Quote Originally Posted by IA_farmboy View Post
    I just heard on the radio that Gorsuch was voted to SCOTUS by the Senate.

Grandma told me if I had nothing nice to say then it's best to say nothing at all, so I'll hold my tongue on what I think of Democrats in the Senate.
    Grandma is right, of course, but the truth is a whole 'nuther matter.

Woody