+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guns and drugs

Guns and drugs

I saw this linked from the NRA-ILA feed:
    http://www.14news.com/story/35073829...rglary-suspect

The sheriff's office arrested 32-year-old Jason Spieker.

Deputies say he broke into Chris Kissell's Pharmacy Tuesday night, not aware that the owner was still there. The owner heard him, grabbed his gun and chased Spieker from the store. He fired two "warning" shots outside the building.
    I hear people that advocate for gun control tell me that if someone is robbing a store that the shopkeeper should just give the robber what they want. What if what the robber wants is narcotics and the store is a pharmacy? Is the shopkeeper still supposed to just hand over the drugs?

I ask this because the people that support limitations on gun ownership also tend to support controls on drug ownership. Well, every recreational drug I am aware of has a medical use. Modern medicine relies on the availability of these drugs. We cannot simply make the drugs go away.

How do we resolve this? If we are going to keep the criminals from stealing drugs then people need lethal force to stop them. If we remove the ability for people that handle these drugs, pharmacists, nurses, etc. to go armed then the criminals will not be stopped from just taking them.

One or the other, perhaps both, have to give. We saw what happened when gun control and alcohol prohibition was enacted a century ago. The prohibitions on alcohol did not last long but it's been replaced by other prohibitions, and much of the gun controls are still in effect. Have we not learned from our history?
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

I am glad the owner was there and armed to stop the robbery. The warning shots, since I was not there, it is difficult to comment.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

Quote Originally Posted by IA_farmboy View Post
    I saw this linked from the NRA-ILA feed:
    http://www.14news.com/story/35073829...rglary-suspect

I hear people that advocate for gun control tell me that if someone is robbing a store that the shopkeeper should just give the robber what they want. What if what the robber wants is narcotics and the store is a pharmacy? Is the shopkeeper still supposed to just hand over the drugs?

I ask this because the people that support limitations on gun ownership also tend to support controls on drug ownership. Well, every recreational drug I am aware of has a medical use. Modern medicine relies on the availability of these drugs. We cannot simply make the drugs go away.

How do we resolve this? If we are going to keep the criminals from stealing drugs then people need lethal force to stop them. If we remove the ability for people that handle these drugs, pharmacists, nurses, etc. to go armed then the criminals will not be stopped from just taking them.

One or the other, perhaps both, have to give. We saw what happened when gun control and alcohol prohibition was enacted a century ago. The prohibitions on alcohol did not last long but it's been replaced by other prohibitions, and much of the gun controls are still in effect. Have we not learned from our history?
    It does seem we're slow to recover from the foibles of the past. Here we are, dealing with the present as it has been handed to us from the past, trying to make for a better future. And, in many cases, we need to delve further back into the past before the foibles where we will find that the answer is the original uncorrupted path.

That is what needs to be learned from history and we have not done a very good job of it. There are too many who have not or will not look back - because they are on an agenda that requires discrediting anything from the past that will not support their agenda, or demonstrates flaws in their stated goals. And, of course, we know their stated goals are never what their true goals are.

Woody
    http://oklahomafirearmservices.com/
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

+ Reply to Thread