Thread: Pistol Carbine Combos

Pistol Carbine Combos

One of the tried and true traditions of the Old West
    has regained a new popularity, recently.

PCCs were preferable in the West, because one could
    shoot both their firearms with one caliber
    of cartridge, thus making supply and carry logistics easier.

Anybody here using Pistol Carbine Combos? What have you
    got? How do you like it?
    Last edited by therewolf; May 8th, 2017 at 07:20 PM.

Does .22LR count?

I have a .22LR pistol, a Ruger .22 caliber "convertible" revolver, and a bolt action rifle. Everyone that shoots my rifle love it, it's got no recoil and it will always hit what you aim at. The revolver scares people though for some reason. I like them both. My pistol on the other hand is picky on the ammunition and it's not very easy to clean so I don't shoot it often.

One thing I love about my rifle is that if fed with low noise .22 ammunition it will make less noise than my air rifle. I'll let people shoot that without ear muffs so that they can hear me give instruction. The report is no louder than a slamming door. Not only good for getting people started but also to hunt small woodland critters and not scare them all off.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

That's a great idea for shooting instruction.
    What do you use, 22short, or subsonics?

Had the Ruger .22 LR/Mag Single Six for couple .22LR rifles and one .22 Mag rifle. Then I like the .41 Mag out of a dozen revolvers and TC Contender and got a Marlin 1894S to match back in 88'. Currently building a AR pistol in 5.56mm to go with my AR long rifles. NC won't allow me to keep a loaded AR rifle in the truck behind the seat as I can only keep a pistol concealed in the cab (on Concealed Handgun Permit). Have to keep long guns out in the open even when I go into a store, hence AR pistol to work within stupid law.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08, 09,15 & 16'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11' & 14'

22LR, 357Mag, 45ACP, 44-40, and very soon 327Mag will be complete when I can get my hands on a Henry carbine in 327Mag.

Yeah, I believe wholeheartedly in PCC's.

Woody
    http://oklahomafirearmservices.com/
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

Quote Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
    That's a great idea for shooting instruction.
    What do you use, 22short, or subsonics?
    I used CCI .22 long CB when I can find them. The long (not long rifle) cartridges are long enough that they will feed fairly reliably from the standard Ruger rotary magazine. On the box it reads, "sub-sonic + low-noise", and spec'd to 710fps at the muzzle.

When those are not available often try the CCI .22 short CB. They share all the specs with the long in bullet weight and expected muzzle velocity. The obvious difference is in the length of the cartridge. This short cartridge is too short to feed reliably from the magazine and so must be put in the barrel one at a time by hand.

The revolver doesn't care about short, long, or long rifle. Unlike the rifle though there is not quite the reduction of the report. There is an obvious safety factor still in that it is unlikely to go through a heavy sheet of plywood or 2 by whatever lumber.

One target we like to make is to take an emptied milk jug or something similar, cook up some cheap flavored jello, pour it in, and let it freeze over night in a freezer or on a snow covered porch. The brightly colored jello filled milk jugs are quite visible in snow, sand, and (except green jello) on grass.

I have bought some Remington .22 long rifle subsonic hollow point but I'm not near as pleased with it. It's spec'd at 1050fps which means in certain conditions it can go supersonic and make quite some noise. It's all lead projectiles like the CCI CB which means it leaves a lot of lead in the barrel. If I remember to I'll fire some copper jacketed ammo before packing it up, as that makes cleaning the barrel later much easier. The copper jacketed stuff scrapes off some of the lead from the barrel for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstitutionCowboy View Post
    22LR, 357Mag, 45ACP, 44-40, and very soon 327Mag will be complete when I can get my hands on a Henry carbine in 327Mag.

Yeah, I believe wholeheartedly in PCC's.

Woody
    What is your carbine, in 45ACP? I could not find one which
    I liked, for that caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
    What is your carbine, in 45ACP? I could not find one which
    I liked, for that caliber.
    I have a Beretta CX4 Storm in 45ACP. I had to wait quite a while for it to come out. Beretta introduced the 9MM and 40 S&W versions first, and it seemed like years before they came out with the 45.

It's a nice little carbine. I will replace the plastic hammer and some other "minor" plastic parts sometime soon in order to ensure it will be reliable for a long time to come - not that it isn't reliable now! Basically, it is built strong. I have a red dot sight on it that lines up perfectly with the iron sights.

I found some loading data that makes the 45ACP perform quite well in a carbine, both 45ACP and 45ACP+P.

Woody
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

Therewolf - like both CD and Farmboy, I also have the Ruger Single Six convertible revolver. I also have two Marlin bolt-action rifles, one in .22LR and the other in .22 Mag. Add to that a Ruger 10/22 (LR) and, most recently, a Keltec PMR-30 in .22 Mag.
    A relative has a Ruger SP-101 in .38 Special; I have a GP-100 in .357 Mag and now, I also have the Marlin levergun that shoots both of those.
    I reload the .38/.357 as well.
    Life Member of both NRA and North American Hunting Club (huntingclub.com)
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

That's interesting. The Kel-Tec is a nice addition for a
    PCC in 22MAG.

I like the 1894 Marlin, and the S&W 629. I use ratshot in the
    629, out in the woods, for snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    NC won't allow me to keep a loaded AR rifle in the truck behind the seat as I can only keep a pistol concealed in the cab (on Concealed Handgun Permit). Have to keep long guns out in the open even when I go into a store, hence AR pistol to work within stupid law.

CD
    I guess I need to brush up on the law, I didn't know this.
    When and how did I become a senior member? Remember don't drink the Kool-aid!!

J.J.

Iowa law change + deer season = $$$$

I hear the Iowa law now allows for hunting deer with rifles chambered in many straight walled pistol cartridges.

This is going to be expensive for me.

Quote Originally Posted by IA_farmboy View Post
    I hear the Iowa law now allows for hunting deer with rifles chambered in many straight walled pistol cartridges.

This is going to be expensive for me.
    AFAIK, any cartridge which was approved for use for handgun shooting during the shotgun season or late muzzleloader is now legal in a rifle during the Shotgun season.

I'd really, really like to scrape together the money for a .357 lever-action over the summer to go with my Dan Wesson 15-2...
    I'm a skinny, rather geeky, over-educated Englishman living in the small-town MidWest who believes in the 2nd Amendment and the RKBA... my existence messes with people's stereotypes :-)

Still Waiting On Henry

Henry Repeating Arms stated the rifle and carbine in 327Mag would be out at the end of April, then it became the end of May, and now it's the beginning of June and no 327Mags are out yet. The money is burning a hole in my check book!

I'm incomplete without it!

Woody

Anybody ever wonder why a revolver
    was never made for the AKM and SKS,
    in 7.62x39? Yes, it would kick a lot, but
    not so much more than a 44 MAG.

Quote Originally Posted by Danoobie View Post
    Anybody ever wonder why a revolver
    was never made for the AKM and SKS,
    in 7.62x39? Yes, it would kick a lot, but
    not so much more than a 44 MAG.
    Bottleneck cases back out and lock up the cylinder.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08, 09,15 & 16'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11' & 14'