Thread: Prairie Dog hunting

Prairie Dog hunting

Since my job moved moved me to North Dakota got a chance to shoot some prairie dogs. Used several arms to include NEF Partner Protector Pump (870 clone with #4 buck), Remington 572 pump .22LR and last a M16A4 clone with a TA31 ACOG. Last one taking a dirt nap here.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08, 09,15 & 16'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11',14',17' & 18'

Nice picture! I've never tried hunting prairie dogs, but that picture made me want to try it out!
    If you want to find the BEST Guns in HINTERLAND!!

My cousin lives in Colorado and he tries to keep his area PD free so he does it quite often. He has horses and lives in the prairie.

what he does is that he sits out on his deck with his 223 bolt action rifle and weaver 24 power scope and Sinclair bipod. He will shoot one prairie dog, rack another shell, and all the other prairie dogs stand up to see who got nailed. He then shoots his second prairie dog and all the prairie dogs disappear for about 20 mins. He drinks a beer while waiting and then when he sees one off in the distance, shoots it and racks another round while all the other prairie dogs stand up to see who bought it this time. Bang, there goes prairie dog Number 4. time for another beer and 20 min downtime.

Sincerely,
    Raisan

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

The farmers used to pay me (oh, just for ammo or with an invite to a BBQ) for thinning out the prairie rats around Superior, CO. With advancing age and abilities, I stopped about fifteen years ago., It nearly brought me to tears about a year ago when I drove by my favorite fields and found them covered by housing developments.

If some of those folks knew how much ,223 lead was scattered around the area(s), they'd probably clutch their pearls and head for the fainting couch. I had an ancient Savage bolt rifle with a 14" twist, so the light little varmint bullets were superbly accurate. But you had to watch the wind.

I used to call it "feeding the raptors" since I could rarely find any dead prairie dogs in my 12 power scope the very next day.

Terry, 230RN
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)