Thread: Virgin Islands gun grab?

Virgin Islands gun grab?

Virgin Islands Gov. Orders Gun Confiscation in Prep for Irma

Hurricane Irma, with its strongest-ever-recorded sustained wind speed of 185 mph, may pale in comparison to the fury that appears to be building among American gun owners following reports that the governor of the U.S. Virgin Islands has signed an emergency order allowing the seizure of “arms, ammunition…and other property” as the storm bears down on the islands.

http://libertyparkpress.com/virgin-i...ion-prep-irma/

The only thing that will stop confiscations there is mass civil disobedience. It's way too late for anything to come out of the courts - unless it supports the confiscation.

Woody
    http://oklahomafirearmservices.com/
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

This must be fake news. Has to be fake because I had someone tell me that no US government agency is going to take guns from the citizens and I'd be a fool to think any kind of gun confiscation would happen in the USA.

Nope, didn't happen.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstitutionCowboy View Post
    The only thing that will stop confiscations there is mass civil disobedience.
    While I don't disagree I just fear what form "mass civil disobedience" might take. We had one or two of those on US soil before. Turns out that if someone comes to disarm another there is the possibility of someone getting shot... a lot of someones.

Quote Originally Posted by IA_farmboy View Post
    While I don't disagree I just fear what form "mass civil disobedience" might take. We had one or two of those on US soil before. Turns out that if someone comes to disarm another there is the possibility of someone getting shot... a lot of someones.
    If it comes to that, it is what it will take. Keep your powder dry.

Woody
    http://oklahomafirearmservices.com/
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

The Adjutant General is authorized and directed to seize arms, ammunition, explosives, incendiary material and any other property that may be required by the military forces for the performance of this emergency mission, ...
    So how do the guns and ammo (which are not the same as the military's) support their performing the mission?
    The only common sense gun regulations were written about 227 years ago.

Ban gangs, not guns!

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    So how do the guns and ammo (which are not the same as the military's) support their performing the mission?
    I believe that you are asking the wrong question. I believe a better question is, what exactly is the mission?

The mission is, supposedly, in the order...
    I direct, authorize, and order the Adjutant General of the Virgin Islands to mobilize such units of the National Guard as are necessary to maintain or restore public order, and to guarantee the safety of life and property.
    Thinking this through some more I ask, how is taking people's property (specifically their firearms) not contradictory to the mission to "guarantee the safety of life and property"?

Another question that comes to mind, what is the military supposed to do with the weapons once they've collected them? We saw what happened in New Orleans, the seized firearms were dropped into steel drums and left in a shed to rust. That's if they were lucky since then at least there was a chance to get them back, some were simply dropped in the river.

Another question, what if the Adjutant General refuses to follow this obviously unconstitutional order? I'm pretty sure this is an unlawful search and seizure, a violation of due process, failure of just compensation, and something else I'm forgetting... oh, that's right, it's a violation of the right to keep and bear arms.