Thread: Deer cull insanity on Staten Island

Deer cull insanity on Staten Island

So, Staten Island has a deer problem. How do they intend to solve it?

The experiment in Staten Island is the first in the nation to try and cull the population solely though vasectomies, according to City Hall.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/22/n...en-island.html

This is insane. They catch the deer, sterilize it, and then... let it go? What's the problem that the deer cause again?

For years, environmental officials and local leaders, including the Staten Island borough president, have said that the increased deer population was a nuisance and health hazard. Deer can put drivers in dangerous situations during the fall mating season, when the frisky animals cross roads in search of a mate. Last year, the Health Department confirmed 93 new cases of Lyme disease in Staten Island, a record high, and residents have complained about chewed-up flower beds and gardens.
    So, the deer spread Lyme disease, put people at risk of automobile collisions, and they let the deer go? How much does this cost them?

The nonlethal experiment to reduce the deer population will cost the city $3.3 million over three years.
    Wow. Just, wow. The city will spend millions of dollars to let the deer go free to spread disease and put people's lives at risk. What happens if (or more likely, *WHEN*) one of these bucks kills someone in an auto collision? They tag each buck after they sterilize it so it's going to be obvious that the city had the opportunity to kill the deer before it could cause harm to someone. The city will have some explaining to do on why it simply didn't kill the deer before it could kill a person.

This is insanity on a level that is difficult to even comprehend. These deer are no different than any other vermin. Would the city spend even a fraction of this kind of money to sterilize rats? Rats spread disease too, that why we kill them when we catch them. Just kill the deer.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

Around here, the city pays guys to hunt the deer when there are too many roaming around town.

I'm sure for even a place as big as Staten Island, the cost to pay hunters (some of whom might do it for free) would be way less that 3.3 million.

Doe to a frisky buck, "Nope, I see you've been tagged. No nooky for you."
    The only common sense gun regulations were written about 227 years ago.

Ban gangs, not guns!

"Would the city spend even a fraction of this kind of money to sterilize rats?"

Do. Not. Give. Them. Ideas. Ever!

Around here, deer hunters pay to hunt deer. They pay for gas, food, sometimes lodging, butchers, taxidermists... and they pay taxes and license fees to the government, and cost less than they pay in.

It is like coming up with What's the worst cost/benefit solution we can think of?
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Around here, the city pays guys to hunt the deer when there are too many roaming around town.

I'm sure for even a place as big as Staten Island, the cost to pay hunters (some of whom might do it for free) would be way less that 3.3 million.

Doe to a frisky buck, "Nope, I see you've been tagged. No nooky for you."
    Which city? I'll gladly move to the city. Here in my city, I have to pay a lot to a lot of authorities.