+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kidde fire extinguisher recall

Exclamation Kidde fire extinguisher recall

Plastic handle and push button units - free replacement. Check yours against the list.

https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/Kidde284US/
    Some idiots are too busy knowing it all to ever learn anything

Got a replacement on the way.

The needle is still centered in the green. Not bad for a 32 year old - eh - anything! My hat's off to Kidde.

Woody
    http://oklahomafirearmservices.com/
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

Thanks for the link Easy. I'll have to check mine tomorrow.
    Life Member of both NRA and North American Hunting Club
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

Apparently, all five of my extinguishers are under the recall.
    One is one of those plastic button Pindicator, two are "Fire Away 110" (1A-10B/C), a newer 1A-10B/C (not a Fire Away), and a big 3A-40B/C, the kind with the short hose attached.
    Called the toll-free number and gave them the info. The CSR said it would take about 15 business days to get them replaced.

Thanks again for posting this link Easy.
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Apparently, all five of my extinguishers are under the recall.
    None of the four I have are under the recall. I filled out the web form with the model and serial numbers and I got a response that none were under recall. With that said I still went and bought a new fire extinguisher, with a steel valve, for my truck. It's a Kidde brand, only because I saw no other brand where I shopped.

Of the four plastic top Kidde extinguishers I have there are two that are flat. One apparently from age and/or damage in shipping (there was a small dent on the canister). The other gone flat years ago from me being stupid in the kitchen and setting a plastic lid on fire. No real damage done but to my pride, I put my plan of keeping a fire extinguisher in the kitchen as a reason the damage was limited to the stovetop.

According to Kidde the plastic head extinguishers expire after 12 years. If they are replacing 12 year old and older extinguishers under this recall with new ones then good on them for standing behind their product.

http://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/...s_expire_.aspx

With new fire extinguishers selling for less than $20 I'd think that getting a handful of new ones every 12 years or so is pretty cheap insurance. I keep one in the truck, one in my mechanical room, one in the kitchen, one in the laundry room, and now I'll keep one in my bedroom. I didn't think of keeping one by my bed until someone mentioned that if there is a fire in the middle of the night that if there isn't one by you then it might mean walking through fire to get to an extinguisher.

Thanks for the heads-up Easy. I suggest we all use this as a chance to review our fire prevention preparedness. Last weekend was a daylight saving time switch, did everyone check their smoke detectors like we've been told to this time of year?
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyJones View Post
    Now, this is just an epic fail.
    No, I don't think this qualifies as an "epic fail" since Kidde is replacing even 30+ year old disposable extinguishers under this recall. They stated from the start that these are only guaranteed for 12 years, so they are going above and beyond on their end.

I will say though that this recall has damaged my faith in fire extinguishers with plastic valves. A steel head extinguisher costs about $20, a plastic headed one of the same size is about $15. I'm thinking the extra $5 is worth getting the more durable fire extinguisher.

Unless there is more to this recall that I'm not aware of then this doesn't rise to the level of an "epic failure". Sure, they screwed up somewhere but it looks like they are making it right.

Farmboy - those two "Fire Away" extinguishers are probably the oldest I have now. IF I am reading the labels correctly, about 1" to the right of the bottom left corners are the year they were produced. If right, one was made in 1984 and the other in 1985. All four of the bigger extinguishers have gauges and all are still in the "green", even those two.
    About once a year, I take them off of their hooks, turn them upside down and tap them on the wall to loosen up the contents - JIC.

Neither of mine are under recall as both the CO2 and Dry Chem ones are steel headed commercial models.
    "A knight is sworn to valor; his heart knows only virtue; his might upholds the weak; his word speaks only truth, and his wrath undoes the wicked."

I was quite surprised to find a couple boxes from Kidde show up on my doorstep. I opened them up and inside were new Kidde fire extinguishers with steel valves. In order to resolve my confusion I call the customer service number on an instruction sheet in the box. I talk to an equally confused CSR and find out that all my Kidde fire extinguishers have been recalled. I'm told that more boxes are on the way.

I do some research online and I see that while my fire extinguishers were not part of this 2017 recall they are the subject of an earlier recall. About ten years ago I bought a dozen of these extinguishers to give as Christmas gifts as well as a couple for myself. I've had a theme for years of giving safety and survival gifts to family and I had a brother and sister in law say they bought more fire extinguishers as my gift prompted them to think more of their safety, which is kind of the point of my gifts.

So, I guess this Christmas I'm giving fire extinguishers as gifts again only this time Kidde is paying for them. I'm pleased that Kidde is doing this recall out of an abundance of caution and standing behind their products. What I'm disappointed about is how it's being handled. I went to the website and punched in the serial numbers from my fire extinguishers and I was told they were not part of this recall, that was true. What the website form did not tell me was that it was part of an earlier recall and so I had no expectation of receiving a new fire extinguisher.

I guess the lesson here is to fill out the online form for this current recall with all of your Kidde fire extinguishers. Even if the fire extinguishers do not fit this current recall it will trigger an action from Kidde on all past recalls, and presumably any in the future as well.

I wonder if Kidde will abandon the product lines of plastic valve fire extinguishers. I see recalls on many of them three times now in 10 years or so. I see why they make them, they cost half as much as the steel valved ones. I'm thinking that going cheap on the fire extinguishers has cost them a lot of money by now.

+ Reply to Thread