+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is the Second Amendment Unique?

Is the Second Amendment Unique?

Is the Second Amendment Unique?
    By Sam Bocetta
    The case for American exceptionalism is often overstated. It is true that our Constitution, at least when it was first written, was a revolutionary document, in both senses of the word: it represented a huge shift in the way that the state was conceived, but also an attempt to free a citizenry from perceived oppression.
    Because of the unique historical circumstances in which it was written, the Constitution put in place laws that appear to be similarly unique. However, when looked at in a historical perspective, many of these (such as the right to free speech) are unique in extent rather than quality: they make a right that was de facto in early modern England into a de jure provision.
    There is one part of the U.S. Constitution, however, that may well be totally unique: the Second Amendment.
    The 27 words that make up the amendment, a well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, are perhaps the most controversial, and perhaps the most misunderstood, in our entire Constitution.

http://www.americanthinker.com/artic...nt_unique.html

Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box and Cartridge Box. Most forget how the American Revolution started on the field of green in Lexington/Concord on 19 Apr 1775 and why did Pual Reeve ride.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08, 09,15 & 16'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11',14',17' & 18'

Three Things

I will take issue with three things.

One, the Constitution was not an attempt to free a people. The Declaration of Independence set in motion the revolution that set us free. The Constitution outlined how we, as sovereign, unique and independent nations, are to be united, governed, and defended for our mutual benefit.

Two, we fought our way out from under oppression. It was not perceived as oppression; it was real and recognized as dictatorial oppression.

Three, we do not have a right to free speech. We have freedom of speech. There is a big difference.

If we had a right to free speech, we could say anything we wanted to say without any consequences such as perjuring ourselves in court and unlimited slander and liable.

We have freedom of speech which means we can say whatever we wish to say but we can and likely will suffer the consequences of any undue harm our speech might cause.

In closing, yes, the Second Amendment is unique although it should not be unique. Every government on the face of the Earth ought to be prohibited to infringe upon the right of anyone to keep and bear arms.

Woody
    http://oklahomafirearmservices.com/
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

Well said CC!

Quote Originally Posted by Tpr0811 View Post
    Well said CC!
    Thank you, TPR!

Woody
    http://oklahomafirearmservices.com/
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

As this says, it has *become* unique in the modern world. But it is based in long-standing Anglo-American political tradition, going back well before the English Bill of Rights of 1689 mentioned here.

I'll have to see if I can find it again, but I once read a well-researched piece, I think by Dave Kopel, demonstrating that on the whole courts in later 18th and 19th C Britain were increasingly interpreting the 1689 right broadly to cover carry of common weapons for self-defence by any "respectable" person. Both 19th C literature and events show that ownership and at least occasional carry of revolvers and early pistols was not unusual in urban Britain. During the 1909 "Tottenham Outrage" - an armed robbery and pursuit in London - police (who then as now didn't routinely carry firearms) twice borrowed handguns from members of the public to engage the armed suspects. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tottenham_outrage

In the UK, law and elite attitude regarding firearms basically reversed course with a squeal of brakes and scorched rubber shortly after the First World War, when the Establishment was afraid of social unrest and a Bolshevik revolution...
    I'm a skinny, rather geeky, over-educated Englishman living in the small-town MidWest who believes in the 2nd Amendment and the RKBA... my existence messes with people's stereotypes :-)

Is this the article to which you refer?
    https://www.nraila.org/articles/1999...-by-david-kope
    The only common sense gun regulations were written about 227 years ago.

Ban gangs, not guns!

That's not the one I remember, but it contained similar information. Thanks!
    I'm a skinny, rather geeky, over-educated Englishman living in the small-town MidWest who believes in the 2nd Amendment and the RKBA... my existence messes with people's stereotypes :-)

+ Reply to Thread