Thread: Leaving The Country, What About My Guns?

Leaving The Country, What About My Guns?

I have no idea where to put this so here it sits...
    Hypothetically speaking: If a person were to relocate to another country temporarily, let's say 2-3 years, how would they get their guns there with or to them? For the sake of this discussion let's use Guatemala as a destination and the USA as a starting point and assume travel will be by car through Mexico. I know that Guatemala does have gun rights but I also know that Mexico doesn't allow them at all....Would insured parcel post be the way to do it? Like fedex, usps, ups, etc or is there a way to travel with them through Mexico? How would one handle the transport of ammo? Any thoughts, input, info, links, etc PLEASE and can we try to stay on topic and keep it real also please?

First welcome to the forum. Can't give you specifics as you'll have to give the correct info. But you'll have to first determine if you can have them in Guatemala then see if needed licenses. Going thru Mexico would involve researching and reaching out to their respected agencies. Mexico's does allow guns in its Constitution, just highly restricted for political reasons. Would be cheaper to buy ammo there if available. Going thru the least number of countries would be easier. You may be better off flying them in.

I've been stationed several times in Germany where I flew in with my guns. Had to check the applicable laws and regs at the time. Coming back I needed ATF forms 6 to import new accquired guns from over there. Those I took out I can bring back with no issues as long as I can show that I took them out of the US (receipts, shipping documents, Govt orders listing them)

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08, 09,15 & 16'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11',14',17' & 18'

I suggest not taking them. You stated "guns", as in more than one, so at least don't take them all. You also stated this is temporary, so unless you REALLY needed these where you are going then just do without them while out of the country.

If they have no sentimental value then sell them. If they are valuable to you in ways other than monetary then find a place to store them. Maybe leave them with a family member or trusted friend. If you aren't comfortable with that then find a place that will rent a storage locker.

There will be a cost in time, effort, and money, to move these firearms. Consider that cost and how that compares to simply storing them or selling them off to buy replacements when you return. Again I'll point out that this is considering this is more than one, not all of them will necessarily get the same treatment. Perhaps sell some, store others, and then find a way to bring the remainder with you.

Since it is implied that you'd be allowed to own these firearms where you are going then I would assume nothing would bar you from acquiring them once there. I'd suggest selling off what you can part with before you go, storing the rest, and buying what you'd need at your destination. When it comes time to move back then sell off what you bought there and buy what you wish when you get back to the USA.

I know I'm not answering your question directly but unless you can say exactly where you are going, and how you intend to get there, there is no direct answer. Every nation has different rules and not every shipping method will be equal at every nation. I merely point out this option as you did not state that leaving them behind was impossible.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

A Plastic Zipper

They fit on your midsection and Essay are covered under your shirt. They're made of sturdy nylon with a plastic zipper so you can pass through finders at the airplane terminal without expelling the belt.