+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2018 Right to Carry Scoreboard

2018 Right to Carry Scoreboard

I've been doing this for a few years now and I see no reason to stop this year. Let's see how many states pass a law this year that recognizes the right of people to carry the tools of self defense, concealed or openly, without getting prior government permission. If I'm counting correctly the scoreboard stands at 14 states as of the start of this calendar year, if we include those states that only recognize the right for residents of that state. We gained two states last year, New Hampshire and North Dakota, let's see how we do this year.

For a little bit of fun how about we add a guessing game to this? Winner gets two gold stars. (I have an extra one from last year since it looks like no one came out an obvious winner. If you dispute this then let me know and I'll review the record.) Points for guessing the right number of states and the correct states that passed a law recognizing the right to carry. I should put a closing date on the guesses, just so people don't come in the day before a vote and claim to be a winner if the vote goes their way. How does April 1st sound? April Fool's day seems appropriate enough. Winning guesses before midnight of April 1st on my clock will be considered.

I'll finish this kick off of the scoreboard and guessing game with a commentary on the language I'm now using. I've called this "constitutional carry" before since the right to keep and bear arms is constitutionally protected. I thought that was not appropriate since it might imply that the constitution "created" the right. So, I called it "permitless carry" but then that might imply that having a permit is the norm. We aren't looking for laws that create a right, or permit a right, we are looking for laws that recognize a right that is inherent to a free people. These are "right to carry" laws because they recognize that people have the right of self defense and no government has the authority to restrict or tax that right.

Why get worked up over words? Because words mean things. Language is very important to how we change minds. This is the same tactic the "other side" used to limit our rights. They use words like "assault weapon" to imply a certain kind of weapon is useless for self defense or "belongs only on a battlefield". They use words like "ghost guns" to describe weapons the government does not know about, implying that the government has some need to register every weapon. We need to use this tactic against them. For example, use "coat tax" to describe a need to pay a fee and have a permit to put on a coat that may conceal that one is carrying a sidearm.

I believe we should call for a "right to carry law" since we are calling to restore a right we already have.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

Placeholder

My bid is two states

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08, 09,15 & 16'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11',14',17' & 18'

That was quick, Alabama Senate Bill 3

Well, it seems some states just can't wait long before getting a right to carry enshrined in law. Alabama has a bill that would legislatively protect the right to carry self defense tools.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/01/ala...y-on-the-move/
    https://www.nraila.org/articles/2018...ill-introduced

I may as well make my own prediction on how this scoreboard will look at the end of the year. I predict one state will pass a right to carry law. I predict that it will be Alabama.

I was more optimistic in the past on how quickly right to carry would spread but I've now come to the conclusion that it will be limited to one or two states every year... or five. This will be like pulling teeth, a long and painful process, until some tipping point is reached. I suspect that tipping point will involve getting a couple very populous states to pass such a law. The top five most populous states have 50% of the population, give or take. Getting such a large population to move on this means that we'd have seen a lot of different sub-populations within the state agreeing to this. Take Texas for example. I imagine a lot of people see the state as a bunch of cattle ranchers out in the prairie with a bunch of oil barons populating the cities. There's that, but also aerospace, electronics, energy (not just oil, but wind, sun, and nuclear), wheat and corn farmers, and more. If we can get this kind of a population to agree on a right to carry law then it's going to be a much smoother path for such different kinds of people in other states, states with more homogeneous populations.

What pains me is that it took a massacre in a small town church to get more people talking about this. If we can't feel safe in a house of worship then there aren't any safe places left. Speaking of tipping points, that case of an armed citizen stopping a methodical killer from finishing what he started just took a whole gaggle of talking points from "the other side" and round canned them. Before that day so much was just theoretical, and now it's real. All too real.

A friend sent me a series of links to various stories about the left and CA in particular. One was reporting that about 25% of the homeless in the U.S. are now in CA.

25% !!

In just ONE state !!

Is it any wonder they are broke??

As for a "populous" state passing "Constitutional Carry", while Alabama has a good start, I'm fearful that there will be yet another "Vegas-type incident" that the lefties will hype to the maximum degree, esp. with mid-terms this fall. They want control back in their grubby mitts.
    Life Member of both NRA and North American Hunting Club
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

South Carolina and Iowa consider right to carry protections

I see the NRA-ILA has updated their site with information on right to carry protections in Iowa and South Carolina.

South Carolina Senate Bill 449 would remove the requirement to obtain a permit to carry a concealed weapon but keeps the permit for purposes of it's recognition in other states.
    https://www.nraila.org/articles/2018...ll-to-be-heard

Iowa House Joint Resolution 13 is the beginning of the process to amend the state constitution to protect the right to carry within the state. In Iowa the process of amending the state constitution is lengthy and complex. Even if this resolution passes then it would still be years before the process is complete. I applaud this effort and do hope that a legislative effort is running in parallel.
    https://www.nraila.org/articles/2018...s-subcommittee

I also saw news of other bills to protect the right of self defense in many states that fall short of a right to carry. While far from perfect I do hope laws that protect the right of self defense in places like schools and houses of worship are passed.

Idiana bill amended to remove repeal permit to carry requirement

It seems I missed this Indiana bill to repeal the requirement for a permit to carry weapons. Not that I missed much as the part of the bill that would have repealed any requirement for this permit was removed.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...se/1059836001/

In a surprise move, an Indiana House committee completely stripped a bill of language that would have repealed Indiana's permit requirement to carry a handgun.
    The bill does have a provision to removed the fees for a permit to carry. Not an ideal bill but certainly an improvement.

Here's an article from yesterday saying that the bill passed in the House.
    https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...mit/306889002/

The Indiana House voted 70-20 on a bill to remove the fee for a lifetime carry permit, and increase the four-year handgun carry permit to five years. Those who pay the fee for the five-year permit would be exempt from future background checks when purchasing a firearm over those next five years, which is why some Hoosiers still might opt for the shorter permit despite its cost.
    The bill is a watered down version of the proposition that was originally introduced in committee. House Bill 1424 initially called for a complete repeal of Indiana's permit requirements, but that language was stripped from the bill by the author in an amendment, in order to get enough support for the bill's passage.
    That bill passed by a wide margin. I do hope this is a an indication of support from the senate and governor.

Good for the Hoosier State !
    Life Member of both NRA and North American Hunting Club
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

Oklahoma Governor Vetoes Right to Carry Bill

Wow, it's been a while since I've come around to update this thread. Things have been chaotic for me lately. Anyhoo... I did a check on the NRA-ILA news feed and find this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nse/604716002/

The Republican governor of Oklahoma, one of the nation's reddest states, vetoed a bill late Friday that would have permitted adults to carry firearms without a permit.
    The article continues to mention that even though the bill passed by enough of a margin to override the veto the session is closed and so there will be no such vote. Next session will see a new governor and so its quite up in the air on if a similar bill would get passed then.

My game of guessing how many states to add to the list seems to have fallen flat. That's fine, I'm starting to lose steam on this myself. I'm wondering if this might be a larger trend, people aren't as concerned about it so long as they can get a permit readily and things are generally doing well. Concealed carry is the law throughout the USA now, open carry is relatively unrestricted as well. Things are still messed up in places like California, New Jersey, Hawaii, and a few other places but unless there's something to fire that up again those might remain local stories.

I'd be pleased if we can add one right to carry state to the list this year, but I predict none. Since my prediction is long after the deadline I've set for the contest it won't count for the winner. Combat Diver wins an internet gold star by default.

Certainly discouraging news in such a pro gun state and with a GOP Governor. The repercussions from Parkland are still ongoing, and now another tragedy in Texas today.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

Quote Originally Posted by IA_farmboy View Post
    Wow, it's been a while since I've come around to update this thread. Things have been chaotic for me lately. Anyhoo... I did a check on the NRA-ILA news feed and find this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nse/604716002/

The article continues to mention that even though the bill passed by enough of a margin to override the veto the session is closed and so there will be no such vote. Next session will see a new governor and so its quite up in the air on if a similar bill would get passed then.

My game of guessing how many states to add to the list seems to have fallen flat. That's fine, I'm starting to lose steam on this myself. I'm wondering if this might be a larger trend, people aren't as concerned about it so long as they can get a permit readily and things are generally doing well. Concealed carry is the law throughout the USA now, open carry is relatively unrestricted as well. Things are still messed up in places like California, New Jersey, Hawaii, and a few other places but unless there's something to fire that up again those might remain local stories.

I'd be pleased if we can add one right to carry state to the list this year, but I predict none. Since my prediction is long after the deadline I've set for the contest it won't count for the winner. Combat Diver wins an internet gold star by default.
    There is talk of opening a special session to work on an override of the governor's veto of the Constitutional Carry bill and of a couple other bills as well.

Fingers are crossed!

Woody
    http://oklahomafirearmservices.com/
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

Betcha she pulled this "timing" stunt because 8 will getcha 10 she's paving the way for a senatorial run sometime in the future and she's trying to massage the blue vote. You betcha betcha.

Terry "it takes a wily fox to catch a wily fox," 230RN
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)

+ Reply to Thread