+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Illinois Republican primaries

Illinois Republican primaries

In the last 7-10 days, I have received 3-4 oversize postcards from the Rauner people, talking about Ives.

Yesterday, I got an email from someone with whom I have worked trying to elect more republicans here in St. Clair county. I know this person personally and trust his information more than any mailer. I have copied his letter to a Word document and I'm posting it here for your information as the letter is anti-Rauner.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Life Member of both NRA and North American Hunting Club
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

Republican party infighting

Your post and the document do not give Rauner's first name, that would be helpful information for those unfamiliar with the candidates. What would also be helpful is knowing their current elected positions. A quick internet search sows them as Gov. Bruce Rauner and state Rep. Jeanne Ives, I assume those are the correct names and current elected office.

I will say that having a primary challenger to someone currently in office shows a split in the party and does not bode well for a general election run. A primary challenge is effectively a vote of no confidence by party leaders. Regardless of who wins in the primary this puts the party in a poor position in the general election as those loyal to the loser in the primary may vote for the opposition or simply not vote. I'm not always a fan of the Republican party, I generally find political parties dangerous to our liberty, so I'm primarily just making an observation on how any political party would work.

While I'm not always a fan of Republicans I am certainly not a fan of the Democrats. I've found the Democrats like to play dirty politics on every level, hold policies that I find abhorrent and/or threats to our rights, and generally do not enforce good behavior among those in their own party. Infighting among Republicans creates an opening for Democrats. If Rauner is playing dirty to the point that his own party wants to be rid of him gone then this shows me a strong moral compass in the party but also a threat to their own ability to keep people in office.

If Rauner is so badly behaved to warrant a primary challenge then I have to ask, how did he get to his current elected position? Was there not some earlier bad behavior showing him not worthy of holding public office? Did he change his policies while in office to the point he is now in opposition of the party platform when he was not before?

I'll watch this election from the safety of being on the opposite side of the Mississippi River.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

Be glad you ARE on the other side of the river!

One of the problems with Rauner is that he signed legislation recently that will force taxpayers to pay for Medicaid abortions. Some of us have started referring to him as "Rino Rauner" because of some of his attitudes, many of which didn't show up until AFTER he was in office.

In some of the ads being run now on both TV & radio, there are sound clips of Ives saying things like "That's no way to treat the powerful Speaker of the House." or "He's picking on Mike Madigan again." This is causing me some concern about Ives strength of character as well.
    Life Member of both NRA and North American Hunting Club
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

+ Reply to Thread