Thread: Background checks for gun sales break records

Background checks for gun sales break records

I saw this today:

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...-march-record/

Gun background checks soared to over 2.7 million in March, shattering the previous record by almost 250,000.
    Nothing sells guns like politicians talking about gun control.

We're seeing "ghost guns" getting propped up as a bogeyman too.

https://ctmirror.org/2018/04/03/lawm...ks-ghost-guns/

Rep. Robyn Porter, D-New Haven, backed the ban and said her support wasn’t based on an emotional response in the least.

“Why do we need these guns to start with?” Porter said. “And why on earth would we have to put in the hands of people something that would help them to expedite their efforts to have a mass shooting and a mass killing?”
    That's not an appeal to emotion AT ALL.

I expect to read about a jump in the sales of CNC mills real soon now. These politicians might try to ban guns but it's going to be real hard to ban drill presses and blocks of aluminum. I still have some GI Bill money to pay for classes at university, maybe I'll take this class I saw on metal working. I can apply the credits towards my "performance art" general education requirement. I'm thinking maybe a 3D sculpture in aluminum might be something to try. I already have a name for it picked out, "Molon Labe".
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

Used my VA benefits for a degree in CNC Machining.
    When and how did I become a senior member? Remember don't drink the Kool-aid!!

J.J.

Quote Originally Posted by Grmlin View Post
    Used my VA benefits for a degree in CNC Machining.
    That's excellent! Just curious, do you know how to machine 80% AR-15 receivers? I'm asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by IA_farmboy View Post
    That's excellent! Just curious, do you know how to machine 80% AR-15 receivers? I'm asking for a friend.
    It can be done with a drill press and files. Just follow the instructions.

Woody
    http://oklahomafirearmservices.com/
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

I believe the CNC would be "faster" but I have to wonder about the quality of the final product, when compared to "hand work". With the CNC, not only do you have speed but "repeatability" as well, making it possible to make multiple receivers in which the parts are interchangeable.
    With hand files, you get into that area that gunmakers had 250 years ago - individuality. Most parts could NOT be traded between guns, at least not with out some serious benchwork "adjusting the fit" of the parts. You don't have that repeatability in hand work that you have with CNC.
    Life Member of both NRA and North American Hunting Club
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    I believe the CNC would be "faster" but I have to wonder about the quality of the final product, when compared to "hand work". With the CNC, not only do you have speed but "repeatability" as well, making it possible to make multiple receivers in which the parts are interchangeable.
    With hand files, you get into that area that gunmakers had 250 years ago - individuality. Most parts could NOT be traded between guns, at least not with out some serious benchwork "adjusting the fit" of the parts. You don't have that repeatability in hand work that you have with CNC.
    CNC machines are costly and a person will have to be able to program it. The cheapest I've seen is a used one for $1,500.00 and it appears to be nothing more than a converted vertical mill with servo motors on each axis plugged into a DRO. It is probably worn out and so loose you couldn't make two parts identical if you tried.

Purpose built CNC machines start around ten grand on up to megabucks, then you need the computer to control it, and then you need to purchase all the tools and tool holders.

If a person desires to make more than one or two ARs and intends to go into the business of turning these things out, that person will need to get a manufacturer's FFL. That would make buying a (or a few) decent CNC machine(s) worth while.

As far as repeatability and standardized interchangeable parts, it can be done with a drill press and files if one is meticulous. That said, these 80% projects all will use standard parts inside and will mate up with just about anybody's uppers. In fact, a person must "machine" their 80% receivers to be able to accept these standard parts. Ergo, some care must be taken when doing the "finishing".

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_Prbh1ersc

Woody
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

All good points. A CNC product will be smoother but as far as time, initial set up and programming it will take time. You can do just as well with a standard mill or even a good drill press.
    I'm still learning and just because it involves computers doesn't make it faster or foolproof.
    When and how did I become a senior member? Remember don't drink the Kool-aid!!

J.J.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstitutionCowboy View Post
    It can be done with a drill press and files. Just follow the instructions.

Woody
    I believe you misunderstood. The question was about going from 0% (brick of aluminum) to 80%, not 80% to 100%. Going from 80% to 100% does indeed take nothing more than a drill press and files but going from a brick of aluminum to 80% takes more.

I've seen some interesting progress with CNC mills and 3D printers lately. A $2000 mill mated with a common laptop and software downloaded from the internet will allow someone to turn a hunk of aluminum into a working AR-15 lower. It will probably take 24 hours for the process to complete, and some handwork might be necessary for things like putting in the threads, but this is getting to be almost child's play now.

Getting back to my comment on possibly taking a metalworking class, I signed up for classes for this summer and fall and there's no room for a metalworking class. Maybe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by IA_farmboy View Post
    I believe you misunderstood. The question was about going from 0% (brick of aluminum) to 80%, not 80% to 100%. Going from 80% to 100% does indeed take nothing more than a drill press and files but going from a brick of aluminum to 80% takes more.

I've seen some interesting progress with CNC mills and 3D printers lately. A $2000 mill mated with a common laptop and software downloaded from the internet will allow someone to turn a hunk of aluminum into a working AR-15 lower. It will probably take 24 hours for the process to complete, and some handwork might be necessary for things like putting in the threads, but this is getting to be almost child's play now.

Getting back to my comment on possibly taking a metalworking class, I signed up for classes for this summer and fall and there's no room for a metalworking class. Maybe next year.
    Oh, OK. My bad!

Woody

Good to see a discussion is still going on. I have been out of service for quite awhile!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

Welcome back, Johnny Dollar !

Are you guys forgetting that it's important to go from 80% primers as well? Oh, and 80% powder.
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar View Post
    Good to see a discussion is still going on. I have been out of service for quite awhile!
    I hope all is well! It is good to see you up and running! You have been missed.

Woody

Thank you both very much. It feels good to be back!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

If a person desires to make more than one or two ARs and intends to go into the business of turning these things out, that person will need to get a manufacturer's FFL. That would make buying a (or a few) decent CNC machine(s) worth while.
    Glad you mentioned this, Woody. I pointed this out to someone on another board who seemed to be churning them out and he dismissed the matter by claiming he never intended to sell them.

Um. Yeah, OK. But if memory serves me right with respect to 80%-ers (maybe it was for Curio and Relic [C&R] guns), I thought the "triggering" number for the BATFEGHJKLSEMICOLON was 8, where it would be hard to deny that you were in fact a manufacturer, even if you were actually, in your heart of hearts and pinky-swearing, not intending to sell them.

I shut up after that since I wasn't sure of the ground I stood on, but my point here is that folks ought to check stuff like that out thoroughly.

This, especially since the BATFEGHJKLSEMICOLON is rumored to be somewhat fickle and arbitrary in their policies, and most Courts seem to honor their positions disunirregardless of the actual merits. But of course, them's just rumors, doncha know.

Of course, all this notwithstanding the point that all this "80%" stuff and a few other things are constructive infringements and are unconstitutional anyhow.

Terry, 230RN
    Last edited by 230RN; May 19th, 2018 at 12:30 PM.
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)