+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2019 Right to Carry Scoreboard

2019 Right to Carry Scoreboard

I'll continue my tradition of tracking the news on right to carry protection advances through each year by starting with news I read on the Iowa legislature's effort to amend the state constitution to protect the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...te/2567619002/

A Republican-led effort to add gun rights to the Iowa Constitution must start over because the state's top election office did not complete a key step in the yearslong process, a mistake they described as a "bureaucratic oversight."
    I remember hearing about efforts to amend the state constitution years ago. It's quite unfortunate that this effort has been delayed over something that would seem so trivial, but the rules are the rules.

There won't be a constitutional protection of the right to keep and bear arms in the Iowa constitution this year but that does not prevent legislative protections. The goal is to enshrine this in the constitution as this makes it far more difficult to remove in the future as this would mean amending the constitution again, which would involve the same 2 year process that was derailed by bureaucratic oversight last year.

A quick search of recent news on the internet shows that there are efforts to expand concealed carry rights also in North Dakota, South Dakota, and on the federal level. I'll keep my eyes on these efforts as time permits me to. As usual I encourage others to post here on such efforts as it comes to their attention.

I've made the offer in the past for a prize of internet points for those that best predict the advance of legal protections of the right of self defense, I'll make that offer again.

My prediction is there will be no gains this year. It seems to me that much of the momentum from years past has been lost and people don't seem as concerned about it as they have been. I believe this is due to gains by the Republican Party in state legislatures and on the federal level. People don't fear losses in their rights like they did before and so feel less motivation to make gains. Also there's plenty of other things going on in politics that take priority right now, such as the partial federal government shutdown and illegal immigration problems. I'm also guessing that there's a general burnout from politics riding so high in recent history. Which is likely also the reason for less activity on this forum. Things are generally doing well, people are burned out, and so people are more concerned about living life than politics.

I admit I've been coming here less often as I felt this burnout myself, this thread is my effort to drive some traffic.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

It's hard for me to respond to posts like this without being "religious" but I honestly believe that we are heading into what the bible calls "The End Times". If I'm right unfortunately I think we're going to see a drastic reduction of our rights and our freedoms.
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    It's hard for me to respond to posts like this without being "religious" but I honestly believe that we are heading into what the bible calls "The End Times". If I'm right unfortunately I think we're going to see a drastic reduction of our rights and our freedoms.
    By definition we will always be heading into the end times until that time actually comes. But that's not what you meant and I know that. Here's one thing I picked up over the years, every generation thinks that they are the ones going to see the end of days.

Even though I find a general feeling of people being happy where they are I also see plenty of people doing good things and wanting more. One example is the March For Life event over the last weekend that seemingly got little news even though it is an event that attracts many people wanting to protect the unborn. Someone might claim the lack of news coverage on this event is evidence of evil taking over, and there might be some truth to that.

Where some see the end of days others will see just the general pendulum swing of public opinion. I'm seeing just the pendulum swinging. I believe that there are certainly demonic things happening in the world but also a distaste for them bubbling up. Along with the March For Life events continuing for so many years I hear expectations, from people that study such things, that the Kim family tyranny in North Korea is not likely to last another five years.

We've won back quite a bit of our rights and freedoms in recent years. What I'm thinking is that it will take a bit of time for people to expect these rights to be there before people demand more. We gained a lot on the right to keep and bear arms and people will have to see what effects that has on people in other states before they would want to experiment with that where they are.

I think we'll be doing well for a very long time before we hear the trumpets blow.

You wanna see "end time"? Look at this. Is it any wonder that Ill-annoy is so screwed up?

https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...l_tyranny.html

As if "Lurch" Madigan wasn't bad enough, the "dims" now have control of ALL THREE branches in Ill-annoy.
    Life Member of both NRA and North American Hunting Club
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

South Dakota

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2019...ry-legislation

Yesterday, the South Dakota Senate passed Senate Bill 47 by a 23 to 11 vote. This legislation now heads to the House of Representatives for further consideration.
    South Dakotans need to contact their congresscritters and see this get passed into law. That's a wide margin on the vote in the Senate, I hope this is indicative of support in the House and by the governor.

I predicted no states would pass any such laws this year, I'd be pleased to lose on this. I'd be especially pleased to see one of my neighboring states switch.

South Dakota SB 47 becomes law!

I saw this on the NRA-ILA news feed:
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sou...without-permit

South Dakota has become the latest state to remove permit requirements for gun owners to carry and conceal their weapons.

The state’s new Republican governor, Kristi Noem, signed SB 47 into law Thursday. The legislation permits residents to legally carry a firearm concealed on their person so long as they are allowed to possess one.
    The article also states that this now makes 14 states with such laws.

Well, I already lost on my prediction for the year. I'm hoping that I am even more wrong before the year is over.

I'm curious to see how Northam's ouster affects VA
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

Oklahoma HB 2597

I see on the NRA-ILA website that the previously vetoed bill to allow constitutional carry has been resurrected.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2019...ry-legislation

Governor-Elect Kevin Stitt has promised to sign this important self-defense legislation when it makes it to his desk in 2019.
    That's what the last governor-elect said too. We'll see how it works this time.

Colorado has lost all hope of ever seeing Constituional Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Colorado has lost all hope of ever seeing Constitutional Carry
    Care to elaborate?
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Care to elaborate?

We went hard Blue in the last election cycle. Our new openly gay governor is very anti second amendment

Iowa SF 165

Seen on NRA-ILA website...
    On February 11th, a subcommittee of the Iowa state Senate Judiciary Committee will be hearing Senate File 165 to ensure that any law-abiding adult who may legally possess a handgun can carry it for self-defense without first having to go through government red tape.
    https://www.nraila.org/articles/2019...on-to-be-heard

Let's see how this goes. SF 165 is legislation to remove the requirement to have a permit to carry, it is not the constitutional amendment for such protections that is also in the works. One or the other means the law respects and protects the people's right of self defense, the difference is that the amendment is a longer process to enact (and therefore more difficult to remove as well) while the legislation would take effect this summer if passed.

Kentucky Senate Bill 150

From NRA-ILA...

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2019...on-to-be-heard

On February 11th, Senate Bill 150 was introduced to ensure that any law-abiding adult who may legally possess a firearm may carry a handgun for self-defense without first having to go through government red tape.
    Residents of Kentucky should contact their senators about this bill.

Lucky Kentuckians.
    Another reason to make like the hockey goalie and get the "puck" out of "Ill-annoy" !

+ Reply to Thread