Thread: Dick's is "doubeling down"

Dick's is "doubeling down"

The local TV news reported this morning that Dick's Sporting Goods is planning on stopping sales of ALL firearms, ALL hunting supplies, including clothing.

Anyone care to bet on how long they will stay in business?
    Life Member of both NRA and North American Hunting Club
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    The local TV news reported this morning that Dick's Sporting Goods is planning on stopping sales of ALL firearms, ALL hunting supplies, including clothing.

I won't bet because they might do enough business in CA, MA, OR, WA, and CO to stay in business there.

Woody
    http://oklahomafirearmservices.com/
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

Quote Originally Posted by ConstitutionCowboy View Post
    I won't bet because un they might do enough business in CA, MA, OR, WA, and CO to stay in business there.

Woody
    I think they might become regional rather than national. I also think it's odd that they're only stopping gun sales in some stores.
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post

Clearly, they're going to downsize and, maybe, become a boutique.
    Robert J. McElwain
    Practical Libertarian

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." ~Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

I wouldn't necessarily blame it on a pure anti-gun policy as much as an anti-red tape policy. The latter could be a big component of the decision.

I'm sure it's getting to be a real PITA for a general sporting goods merchant to deal with all the choke points the anti-gunners have set up. Let alone considering the federal hammerfaust if the store screws up on a sale.

It's safer to sell a skateboard than a gun, even though skateboards are probably more dangerous.

I'm not being an apologist for Dicks or other retailers who've stopped selling guns, but rather pointing out that the anti gunners have been very successful in developing big and small impediments to selling firearms without attacking the fundamental right directly.

Terry, 230RN
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)

What you say makes sense. My only regret is that, back when Dick's decided to stop selling hand guns, a few years back, I was in the store, and a manager offered me a helluva deal on Smith and Wesson revolver, and i didn't grab it. The price was super cheap, and i had the money in hand. I have no idea why I said no.
    Robert J. McElwain
    Practical Libertarian

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." ~Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Ow, what a bummer. We've all had things we regret. To this day I kick myself for trading in an M1917 .45ACP. Auto Rim revolver, Colt version. I didn't even have to, I had the money to buy the other gun outright anyhow.

I also regret selling a like-new aluminum-framed Colt Commander(?) in ,38 Super. Mainly for the expertise I ground a lathe tool bit to trim .357 Mag cartridges to work as .38 Super cartridges. But it was a rough time and I had to make a mortgage payment.

The (?) is because there were a couple of variations of shortie 1911s with aluminum frames and over the years I forgot exactly what it was. But it was small, light, and put dents in a sheet of scrap iron that looked like .357 Mag dents.

Terry, 230RN
    Last edited by 230RN; April 2nd, 2019 at 10:09 PM.
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)

I don't think I've ever bought a gun from Dick's. I bought a Hydro Flask from them but that's about it.
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder