Thread: Do I Really NEED this?

Do I Really NEED this?

It seems to be becoming a common discussion that people leave a bag with several spare magazines in their car all the time in case the balloon goes up when they're not at home. Some people talk about carrying a messenger bag with a small carbine such as a Skorpion and several magazines in their car routinely.

To be fair I want to add that one long time contributor on THR says that he lives near the Mexican border and has come upon large groups of illegals during his daily commute. Assuming he's being truthful in his case it would probably be legitimate. I look at my life though and I just don't see a high enough risk level to justify that level of preparedness. I'm not saying they're wrong, I'm saying that for me I think it would be a waste of money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Other than having a job that requires me to be in conflict with people I judge my life to be low risk. I work nights in one place so I'm not out roaming the streets doing stupid things at stupid times with stupid people in stupid places. I'm at home asleep most of the day and getting ready for work most of the evening. The only places I regularly go besides work are church, the gym and grocery shopping with my wife. I just don't see myself in a situation where having a pile of extra ammunition or a rifle in my car is going to be the deciding factor in whether or not I get home.
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    It seems to be becoming a common discussion that people leave a bag with several spare magazines in their car all the time in case the balloon goes up when they're not at home. Some people talk about carrying a messenger bag with a small carbine such as a Skorpion and several magazines in their car routinely.

To be fair I want to add that one long time contributor on THR says that he lives near the Mexican border and has come upon large groups of illegals during his daily commute. Assuming he's being truthful in his case it would probably be legitimate. I look at my life though and I just don't see a high enough risk level to justify that level of preparedness. I'm not saying they're wrong, I'm saying that for me I think it would be a waste of money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Other than having a job that requires me to be in conflict with people I judge my life to be low risk. I work nights in one place so I'm not out roaming the streets doing stupid things at stupid times with stupid people in stupid places. I'm at home asleep most of the day and getting ready for work most of the evening. The only places I regularly go besides work are church, the gym and grocery shopping with my wife. I just don't see myself in a situation where having a pile of extra ammunition or a rifle in my car is going to be the deciding factor in whether or not I get home.
    That's when it will hit you - right when you least expect it. There is no set time, no set place, nor is there any regular or particular set of circumstances. Think about this when you ponder what you need to bear to protect yourself and loved ones, or how you'll get home to them alive: How you prepare is all you can ever have at hand.

People ask me why I need a gun or need to carry a gun. The simple answer is, "I don't know. But if a need ever does present itself, I won't be caught empty handed." I've seen that "A-hah!" moment slide across many a face.

Why worry. Go well armed.

Woody
    http://oklahomafirearmservices.com/
    If the ends sought cannot be achieved through the means granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution, there is neither a need nor the power for the Federal Government to get involved.. B.E.Wood

Just remember that old Boy Scout admonition and "Be prepared".
    After all, isn't it better to have something and not need it rather than the reverse?
    Life Member of both NRA and North American Hunting Club
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

The majority of time that I'm not at home I'm at work. As I've mentioned before work is an NPE so concealment is the limiting factor.

When I'm at work I have my Glock 26 with a 12 round magazine and 1 12 round reload for a total of 25 rounds.

When I'm out of the house but not at work I carry my Glock 19 and two reloads for a total of 45 rounds. When I'm not carrying the Glock 19 I keep my two spare magazines loaded in a magazine carrier.

I suppose since the magazine carrier is in use anyway I could throw it in my backpack on work days but I still don't think it would change anything.

If I were to go on a road trip I might consider carrying a box or two of extra ammunition and stopping as soon as I cross the border to buy 3 or 4 Glock 17 magazines but that would probably be the extent of it.

I mean there are other things that I would want with me on a road trip that are higher on the list than spare ammunition (beyond the 2 reloads I would normally be carrying)

If I really thought there was a need (If I really thought there was a need I'd stay home) I think the new Ruger PCC with the Glock magazine well and several G17 magazines would be a really good choice.
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder